Apple integrates Genius Bar reservations to online support options

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple on Friday updated its Support website to incorporate an option to schedule Genius Bar reservations for certain hardware and software issues, further filling in gaps between AppleCare's many arms.

With the new structure, customers are able to sign up for Genius Bar appointments directly through Apple's Support webpage, a change from the previous reservations system.

Prior to today, online reservations were handled by Apple's retail webpage on a per-store basis. Customers would need to find their local store and select the Genius Bar option under "Store Services" to check availability. While Genius Bar reservation links remain on individual Apple Store informational pages, they now point to the updated "Contact Apple Support" site.

As seen in the screenshot above, the integrated system allows users to select "Visit the Genius Bar" along with live phone or chat support. After selecting the Genius Bar option, users enter their current location and device before being taken to a map of nearby retail stores. Customers can then choose a specific Apple Store and pick from a list of available time slots.

Genius Bar reservations are also tied in to the "Take in for Service" option, which adds Apple Authorized Service Providers to the list of brick-and-mortar repair and support outlets.

Other forms of support offered through the website (ne Express Lane)include self-help either through official support documents or links to Support Communities forum pages. In some cases, for example issues possibly related to Mac software or firmware, the system will ask users if they want to troubleshoot the problem at home using a step-by-step Apple Diagnostics guide before moving forward with a Genius Bar reservation.

Apple is steadily revamping its support infrastructure, the most recent change coming earlier this year when the company started charging a fee for certain online chat support services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It doesn't work. It is a total fail!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jack mac wrote: »

What won't work?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

Be more specific

• Reply 4 of 14
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Just tried it. Pretty neat.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    A key detail that isn't mentioned is that it doesn't always give take in for service. I went to the site and hit iPad and tried several issues. Things like "syncing with iTunes" and "can't receive email" had no carry in options. Just call and chat. Makes sense in a way because it's a how to and likely a third party email service, neither of which is really covered by the bar. Weeding out those folks will help keep the bar available for those that really need it
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

There are two Apple stores in the St. Louis, MO area and I visit both occasionally. The stores are always pretty full of people and blue shirted reps. Most customers seem to be there for support reasons or training. I overhear a lot of people being guided by Apple employees on how to use iPhoto, iTunes, Photoshop, etc. They’re not there because their phones or computers are broken but because they want their hands held in learning how to use their devices. People still like personal attention over anonymous telephone support techs. 

• Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What won't work?

Read his posting history. A bit strange.

• Reply 8 of 14
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    And having just tested the new support system and being able to get in just fine, I call BS on your claim.

They basically make you go thru one or two more steps now, one of which requires an Apple ID sign-in, which I personally think is good, because it allows the customer to track service calls via the support portal, and ensures more "personal" service at the location.

Actually, with the Apple Store app now being native to iPad, just select the store you want, then a Genius Bar link is presented right there. It's even easier than ever to schedule an appointment.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Sounds like she is cutting back on service, just like what's his name did.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Angela's making her mark
  • Reply 11 of 14

....Then try Microsoft's.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Do all Genius Bar services require appointments?  Is it possible to get any type of support as a walk-in?  For example, if you need service while travelling.

• Reply 13 of 14
    I just went through this process and Apple has so hidden the ability to schedule a Genius Bar appt. I spent 30 minutes attempting to get a Genius Bar appt and just kept getting side railed to online chat or a Phone call. So I tried the call, the call was on time but then the recorded message told the allotted wait time to speak to a representative would be "X" amount of time.

They seem to be driving towards something called "Joint Venture", what is that.

When it was said and done, I had on my list to schedule a Genius Bar appt ( I had 2 other things on my check list to accomplish at the Apple store ) but because I was so pissed and this "New and Improved" process that I didn't go to the retail store.

Bill Gates was once quoted saying that "You can have all the high tech you want in business, but the moment you loose the high touch you loose your customers".