Microsoft's own Office apps much better on iPhone than Windows Phone 8

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    [@]digitalclips[/@]

I had a feeling that you would say that :)

Wouldn't you at least want to keep them around as a punching bag? Or imagine you are a kitten and microsoft is your little ball of string.
  • Reply 42 of 52

They changed to "OneDrive" because they were being sued by BSkyB for copyright infringement.

• Reply 43 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    I have a Lumia 1520 for sale since it's barely supported by Microsoft and the major devs don't make apps for it.

This sounds rather familiar, I think you have moaned about this before. But any hows, please explain how Microsoft is barely supporting your 1520?
  • Reply 44 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Personally, I think SkyDrive was a much better name than OneDrive. I know they did it for branding consistency (though I'm not sure why, as we didn't change anything else to "One") but SkyDrive sounds more...cool.

They renamed it for legal reasons

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bskyb-successfully-sue-microsofts-skydrive-out-the-cloud-8742008.html
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Let's go one step further. Apple should buy up Microsoft stock, do a hostile takeover, keep what they want (maybe just Word and Excel but dump Powerpoint, Sharepoint, and all the other garbage), and shut down the rest. This would be payback for everything Steve's "friend" did to Apple. Microsoft's only selling point is Office, nothing else. Take Office out of Microsoft and there isn't much left. 

Why would Apple want Office? So they could take over all of the government and enterprise systems. I don't believe government systems use Windows because they want to, they use Windows because it has Office and they're so entrenched with Office they don't know how to get away from it. Everything else they use from Microsoft could be handled by something else running linux or unix.

I'm no lover of Microsoft, but as a developer I have to say their .NET development tools and SQL Server are extremely strong offerings that we have used for years for Web development (and they keep getting stronger). SQL Server is a ripoff, but that's another story. The fact people pay tells you something. The new CEO is having a major impact in where these development tools are headed too with a much more co-operative approach to integration with open source software. So if someone bought the company, these are definitely part of the "crown jewels". 

If I was only allowed to pick one thing that is the worst thing about Microsoft it is hands down Internet Explorer. I think they had a real option when they brought out Windows phone to have a Webkit-based browser that was still called Internet Explorer. Instead they went their own way again, and have written a complete piece of garbage. That area of the company seems to think they can do better than the Webkit guys, and they are dreaming. Nothing has held computing in general back more than the steaming pile that IE is. It still makes development a slow and annoying process if you want to provide support for it.

• Reply 46 of 52
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

"Microsoft also hasn't bothered to update its own Windows Phone version of the apps, which Tom Warren of The Verge just referred to as "shit.""

Hilarious!

• Reply 47 of 52
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    the fact that Ballmer was never fired appalls me...he rode Microsoft into the ground. It will never be the same.

I am forced to use Windows on two of my Macs...horrible horrible experiences...buggy unstable...and once I had an over 24 hour update process that made my work computer unusable for a day. They have no respect for the consumer. And the Dell Windows XP laptop, the only Windows computer i have ever purchased, was the worse. Michael Dell is a fool for repurchasing his company and taking it private; these guys are all dinosaurs...irrelevant and waiting to die.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    "Microsoft's own Office apps much better on iPhone than Windows Phone"

Ok ... what isn't? :D
  • Reply 49 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    badmonk wrote: »
    the fact that Ballmer was never fired appalls me...he rode Microsoft into the ground. It will never be the same.

I am forced to use Windows on two of my Macs...horrible horrible experiences...buggy unstable...and once I had an over 24 hour update process that made my work computer unusable for a day. They have no respect for the consumer. And the Dell Windows XP laptop, the only Windows computer i have ever purchased, was the worse. Michael Dell is a fool for repurchasing his company and taking it private; these guys are all dinosaurs...irrelevant and waiting to die.

I have a half dozen duplicates of a Windoze 7 installation in VMware VMs on an external drive. I can launch a new fresh one in seconds and not be held up with any MS shenanigans. The trick is to set a new one up, register it etc.. Then quit Microcrap and close the VM. Duplicate this several times and back them up. Whenever you need a new one just launch and tell VMWare you 'Moved it' nor 'Copied', all registration works fine then. I've been doing this for years and have XP, 7, 8.1 and now 10 all the same way. I don't use any virus or malware apps, just ditch the POS after a few days and start a new one that way Wincrap is useable and fast. Of course I DO NOT use Mail on the Windoze side nor surf the web. I can leave a VM updating while using another one if needed and still be working on the Mac side at the same time.Try that on a Wintel Box suckers! :D
  • Reply 50 of 52
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    I can understand Microsoft about Android: why bother to product a tablet oriented version of Office when most of the Android market is made of crappy cheap tablets used by customers without the willing to spend money? Much better to invest on iOS environment.
    What I can't understand is the laziness in the Windows phone development: it could be a good leverage to attract new users
  • Reply 52 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I wonder if Windows mobile OS is susceptible to this, it suggests every OS:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2846004/microsoft-fixes-severe-19-year-old-windows-bug-found-in-everything-since-windows-95.html

Some karma for putting proprietary functionality into a web browser.

"The bug has existed in every version of Windows since Windows 95, and would have allowed an attacker to run code remotely when the user visits a malicious website... the bug relies on a vulnerability in VBScript, which was introduced in Internet Explorer 3.0. Even today, the bug is impervious to Microsoft’s anti-exploitation tools (known as Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) and the sandboxing features in Internet Explorer 11."

Let's see if their mobile users get updates faster than Android... wait, do they have any mobile users yet? Oh right, 2-3%. Phew, security by obscurity.