iPhone 6 already driving iOS enterprise share gains for Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology reports that Apple's iPhone 6 launch helped the company win back mobile device enterprise share from Android, boosting iOS to 69 percent of all device activations as firms' deployment of custom mobile apps continues to grow exponentially.

Good Enterprise OS 2014

Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were only available during the last two weeks of the quarter, but drove a reversal of share loss at the expense of all Android licensees' products combined. Microsoft's Windows Phone remained static with the same 1 percent of share among Good's enterprise users. Apple completely reversed the trend toward Android in smartphones--Android phones had gained 4 percentage points in the June quarter, but lost 1 in the September quarter

Among tablets, Android notched a one percentage point gain in activations, leaving Apple's iPad with 89 percent of all enterprise tablet activations in the September quarter.

Overall, Good reports that iOS now accounts for 69 percent of all mobile device activations, compared to 29 percent for Android and 1 percent for both Windows Phone and everything else. Compared to the previous quarter, Android dropped by 1 percentage point overall, a move Good blamed on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. iOS had accounted for 67 percent of all mobile activations in the June quarter.

Good reported that iPhone 6 represented 17 percent of all activations on its own, and greatly outnumbered activations of the larger iPhone 6 Plus among its enterprise users. The firm stated that the 4.7 inch model made up 85 percent of the new iPhone mix it activated within the quarter, while the 5.5 inch 6 Plus represented the remaining 15 percent.

Apple completely reversed the trend toward Android in smartphones--Android phones had gained 4 percentage points in the June quarter, but lost 1 in the September quarter. In tablets, Android's growth also slowed down; after gaining 2 percentage points in the summer, all tablets using Android gained only one percentage point in September.

At the current rate, it would take Android another ten years to catch up to Apple in tablet share. However, major tablet vendors outside of Apple are currently struggling with shipment growth even with promotional pricing and giveaways that make tablet production a profitless business.

Good to compete with IBM for more iOS activations

Good provides push messaging, device management and security products for corporate mobile users, serving as an alternative to BlackBerry Enterprise Server as well as other Mobile Device Management platforms including MaaS360, which was acquired by IBM last fall.

In addition to noting device statistics, Good also highlighted dramatic growth in new custom app activations, reporting an increase of 107% quarter-over-quarter and 731% year-over-year.

The company pointed out that custom apps accounted for 28 percent of all mobile app activations, leading third party document editing apps (like Microsoft Office) and document access apps (including Dropbox), as well as the fourth and fifth most popular app categories of secure browser and secure IM client apps.

Good apps

This summer, Apple and IBM announced a partnership to develop scores of new apps targeting "Mobile First" workflows for a series of industries. Leveraging Apple's new Swift programming language, the two are expected to release their first iPad apps for businesses this month.

Apple's iPad has already begun to disrupt how business is done, having the most significant impact on conventional PCs. New tablet apps are poised to accelerate that shift.

Apple IBM

In an Apple earnings conference call this summer, chief executive Tim Cook stated, "we've forged a relationship with IBM to deliver a new class of mobile business solutions to enterprise customers around the world. We're working together to provide companies access to the power of big data analytics right on every employee's iPhone or iPad.

"Using Swift, we will collaborate to bring over 100 MobileFirst apps to enterprise clients, each addressing a specific industry need or opportunity. This is a radical step for enterprise. It opens a large market opportunity for Apple," Cook emphasized. "But more importantly, it's great for productivity and creativity of our enterprise customers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Good is only one of these solutions there are others like Mobile Iron which may company uses and Android is the predominate phone for now. I am not sure if Good is the big guy or just one of many, this may only be a trend with them.

• Reply 2 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Art! Ten years to catch up at the present rate? Well, we all know how things can change on a dime.
    Apple needs to reverse a slight decline in tablet share.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    This is where I do hope MS stays competitive in the enterprise, they provide an alternative to iOS for competitions sake. No serious enterprise will implement Android, not if they value their data.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

This is where I do hope MS stays competitive in the enterprise, they provide an alternative to iOS for competitions sake. No serious enterprise will implement Android, not if they value their data.

Apparently 29% of enterprises are not "serious," per the above chart.

Google's advantage is many people either aren't aware or just don't know enough to care about Google's creepy business model.

• Reply 5 of 13

Seriously? MobileIron on android is a JOKE. You can keep your TouchDown app and other "secure apps". I guess Android users are used to

Crapware.  But Apple users want a seamless experience. 

• Reply 6 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Good is only one of these solutions there are others like Mobile Iron which may company uses and Android is the predominate phone for now. I am not sure if Good is the big guy or just one of many, this may only be a trend with them.

Good Technology, along with AirWatch (by VMWare), are the only MDMs accepted for use by the US Government (those that follow DISA STIGs), http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/net_perimeter/wireless/Pages/smartphone.aspx. I did notice iOS8 is now approved for use as well. Of course, OS X 10.8 is still the latest Mac OS to be approved but this makes sense since the government has a greater need for Apple mobile device approval than desktop (this will change in time). 

As for Good Enterprise being a trend, I don't think so. The government contractor I used to work for started testing it, then started using it 3-4 years ago. We weren't a small or insignificant contractor.

• Reply 7 of 13
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Granted, Good Technology is only one vendor of these enterprise solutions and there are others but this article is about a Good Technology report and has nothing to do with the others. Good Technology's report is about what they are seeing and may be only a trend with them but then again it may be widespread but I'll wait to read other company's reports and won't jump to any conclusions. Android probably is the predominate phone in general but most everything I read keeps saying iPhone is kicking Android's butt in enterprise.

I said Android probably is the predominate phone because every report I read says that it is. I won't contest all those reports, even though I personally see many more iPhones in the wild than any of its' competitors.

• Reply 8 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Granted, Good Technology is only one vendor of these enterprise solutions and there are others but this article is about a Good Technology report and has nothing to do with the others. Good Technology's report is about what they are seeing and may be only a trend with them but then again it may be widespread but I'll wait to read other company's reports and won't jump to any conclusions. Android probably is the predominate phone in general but most everything I read keeps saying iPhone is kicking Android's butt in enterprise.

I said Android probably is the predominate phone because every report I read says that it is. I won't contest all those reports, even though I personally see many more iPhones in the wild than any of its' competitors.

yeah I believe Apple may be winning, however, companies' sometime think with their pocket books, Iphone are not cheap and many times companies can get free android under contract and that is all that matter to them. Forget about the IT support hassle and trust me we got them.

• Reply 9 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    Quote:

yeah I believe Apple may be winning, however, companies' sometime think with their pocket books, Iphone are not cheap and many times companies can get free android under contract and that is all that matter to them. Forget about the IT support hassle and trust me we got them.

One of the other things companies have to deal with is government regulations dealing with protecting information. I'm not just talking about government installations but healthcare, legal, financial, insurance and life sciences (took from Good's industries tab). All of these have requirements to protect corporate data and unless they manage their mobile devices properly, I doubt they will get government approval to operate. Good works with Android phones but as we all know, the vast amount of Android-based phones are not capable of handling the types of applications these industries want to use. If all they expect to use them for is phone calls and unencrypted emails, then just about any Android-based phone will work. If they want more out of them, I doubt more than a few of the models will suffice. This is what Good Technology is finding and what they presented.

• Reply 10 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Total cost of ownership and actual usefulness is even more important than front costs for most medium to large enterprises. Small and micro enterprises may care only for up front costs since they're very tight with money and sometimes don't have the compentency to realize the true long term cost of what their buying. Though, considering hardware costs these days are dwarfed by the software, training and management expenses related to technology (unlike say in the 1980s to early 90s); saying Apple's hardware is costly is kinda funny.

• Reply 11 of 13
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Total cost of ownership and actual usefulness is even more important than front costs for most medium to large enterprises. Small and micro enterprises may care only for up front costs since they're very tight with money and sometimes don't have the compentency to realize the true long term cost of what their buying. Though, considering hardware costs these days are dwarfed by the software, training and management expenses related to technology (unlike say in the 1980s to early 90s); saying Apple's hardware is costly is kinda funny.

Not the 100k+ person large company I work for. They even stopped Android with Good( licenseing cost... So they say). We are stuck with booberry for any new activations. They are still sticking with Apple is not secure story. Thoroughly rediculous.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    For the enterprise customer, It's about the apple hardware. Touch ID and amazing battery life. Good tech is really the solution most enterprises went after since rim started slowing down. Bb activations sucked.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Interesting to see that iPhone 6 is overwhelmingly more popular than the Plus in this sector, with 85% share. I wonder how similar that proportion is in relation to the worldwide total numbers of iPhones sold.