Google unveils YouTube Music Key subscription service to compete with Apple's Beats

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

"DuckDuckGo" is our friend.

Yes indeed. Gatorguy uses that too I am sure. :D
  • Reply 22 of 47
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I wish I could pay Google to leave me alone and not track me.

"DuckDuckGo" is our friend.

I like to use DDG and all, but not being able to set a date range makes it of very limited value to me, regardless of its other qualities.

• Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes indeed. Gatorguy uses that too I am sure. :D
    I have used it on several occasions. For basic searches it's a fine service. It's not as comprehensive or detailed as what Google offers but for a lot of folks they only need a general search engine and for that DDG is a good option. With that said in my experience the results are not very far from what you'll get from Bing, sometimes nearly identical AAMOF. Not surprising since many DDG results are sourced from them. My guess is they're pretty reliant on MS for revenue.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not to compete with but to add value to Google Music. For $8 a month for all-you-can-consume I don't think there's any other music service that comes close in either catalog or features at the moment. You get professionally curated playlists (a'la Beats) based on activity and time of day, ability to specify track or artist or album selections similar to Spotify, music video tracks via Youtube and their licensed content partners, zero ads...

Other than it being a Google-provided service which makes it a non-starter for a small but vocal group I think it's a darn compelling value for music lovers.

Unless you download and convert music from iTunes for free, which has been an option for many years.

I wonder why Google weren't included with Pirate Bay, etc?

• Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I wish I could pay Google to leave me alone and not track me.

Hey that's a great suggestion for new Google Service, pay them to stay our of your life. They could call it "Google Protection":)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

It's called not using any of their services

Or not driving on the public streets, or stepping out in front of your house, or not having WiFi, etc.

• Reply 26 of 47
    hill60 wrote: »

I wonder why Google weren't included with Pirate Bay, etc?
    Besides Google removing copyright-infringing YouTube content when made aware of it and licensing/paying royalties just as Apple does I can't think of any reason. :\
  • Reply 27 of 47
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm wondering how you as a content creator add music to this YouTube music key. If it's just as easy as uploading a YouTube video this is game changing.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    palegolas wrote: »
    I'm wondering how you as a content creator add music to this YouTube music key. If it's just as easy as uploading a YouTube video this is game changing.
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/12/how-youtube-music-key-will-redefine-what-we-consider-music/
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

It's called not using any of their services

As well as installing all available Google-blocking browser extensions, because otherwise they manage to track you even if you aren't using their search engine or other online services.

• Reply 30 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Google unveils new music streaming service to compete with Google's old music streaming service.

It includes the old music service. You'd have known that if you read the article.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I use DDG, but Vimeo is not a replacement for YouTube yet.

I've been waiting for a YouTube replacement for so long. %99 of content on there is garbage. A lot of you tubers don't even like YouTube anymore. The Google+ integration only made it worse

I wish Apple would step in and bring a clean environment but I heard there's not much money in these kinds of sites.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Taylor Swift isn't going to like this....

It could save iTunes from streaming services if more artists do what she did.

• Reply 33 of 47
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I just hope Apple is working on not one, but three social platforms:

1. music + music store to compete with soundcloud, mixcloud, myspace

2. video + video store to compete with youtube and vimeo

3. photo to compete with pinterest and flickr

Don't mix them up. Just let it do one thing very well.

Ah, and don't listen to Bono. His idea of having the band members in 3D is just plain silly. It is about the music. I have no desire to play with a 3D Bono. Keep It dead Simple & Stupid.

• Reply 34 of 47
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Thanks. Now after digging around a bit, I wonder if us who choose not to monetize our videos can take part in this too.

• Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Not to compete with but to add value to Google Music. For $8 a month for all-you-can-consume I don't think there's any other music service that comes close in either catalog or features at the moment. You get professionally curated playlists (a'la Beats) based on activity and time of day, ability to specify track or artist or album selections similar to Spotify, music video tracks via Youtube and their licensed content partners, zero ads...

Other than it being a Google-provided service which makes it a non-starter for a small but vocal group I think it's a darn compelling value for music lovers.

In what way do you feel this is better than Beats?

• Reply 36 of 47
    freediverx wrote: »
    In what way do you feel this is better than Beats?

It's equal to Beats with its professional human-curated playlists, same streaming quality, similar 20M+ catalog of music, and the bonus of video performances.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidc View Post

People won't pay a monthly subscription for music. Some people might for a little while, because of the novelty, but long term they won't. The subscription thing is crazy out of control. monthly for phone, monthly for music, monthly for storage, monthly for sofware 1, monthly for software 2, monthly for tv, monthly for blah, blah, blah. NOT VIABLE.

I think you've got it backwards. Beats has over half a million paying subscribers. Spotify has over 10 million. Music sales, meanwhile, are on a steep decline. Why continuously pay to buy new music when you can get a monthly, no contract subscription for less than the cost of  a single album and access any music you want anywhere and anytime? I think $8-10/mo. is pretty reasonable for such a service.

That is, I think it's worthwhile so long as 1) you actually listen to music, 2) the service provides access to all the music you want, 3) the music can be easily downloaded on any device for offline listening, 4) the service provides an intuitive and efficient user interface for searching, discovering and playing the music you want, and 5) NO ADVERTISING.

Incidentally I cut my cable TV a long time ago. I got tired of paying through the nose for content that was 95% garbage and advertising wrapped in an obnoxiously unintuitive interface. I get all my entertainment and news online and through Apple TV now.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

It's equal to Beats with its professional human-curated playlists, same streaming quality, similar 20M+ catalog of music, and the bonus of video performances.

Well given a choice between two similar services with similar pricing, call me crazy but I'm inclined to choose the one from the company that respects my privacy and treats me like a valued customer.

• Reply 39 of 47
    freediverx wrote: »
    Well given a choice between two similar services with similar pricing, call me crazy but I'm inclined to choose the one from the company that respects my privacy and treats me like a valued customer.
    Well I suppose when Beats offers a Youtube-like video service that profiles new performers as well as the established for no additional charge then they will be similar. For now they aren't.

So call me crazy but when one service offers more features and value than another. . .
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Well I suppose when Beats offers a Youtube-like video service that profiles new performers as well as the established for no additional charge then they will be similar. For now they aren't.

So call me crazy but when one service offers more features and value than another. . .

I'm not interested in 95% of what YouTube is promoting. I tend to listen more to indie groups, which Google has been actively trashing. It seems with every other press release and news story, Google demonstrates how far apart its values are from mine.

Also, "more" does not equal "better". Android has demonstrated that rather well.