Office supply retailer Staples now accepting Apple Pay at 1400 US locations

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Staples on Wednesday began accepting Apple Pay with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at all of its retail stores in the U.S., joining the growing list or retailers accepting Apple's tap-to-pay checkout service.

Customers at Staples can now use Apple Pay at all of Staples' 1,400 retail locations across the U.S. In a press release, the office supply store touted the security and convenience of the new service.

In addition, the official Staples app also supports Apple Pay for completing Web-based transactions. In-app purchases with Apple Pay are compatible with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3.

Staples has been listed by Apple as a supporter of Apple Pay "coming later this year." With Staples now onboard, other upcoming official partners in 2014 are:
  • Anthropologie
  • Free People
  • Sephora
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Walt Disney World
In-store support for Apple Pay will also be expanded to the Apple Watch when it debuts in early 2015. Pairing an Apple Watch will allow older iPhone models to support Apple Pay, including the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s.

Apple's own retail stores also support Apple Pay, along with the following official partners:
  • Aeropostale
  • Babies R Us
  • BJ's
  • Bloomingdale's
  • Champs Sports
  • Chevron
  • Duane Reade
  • ExtraMile
  • Foot Locker
  • FootAction
  • House of Hoops
  • Kids Foot Locker
  • Lady Foot Locker
  • Macy's
  • McDonald's
  • Nike
  • Office Depot
  • Panera Bread
  • Petco
  • RadioShack
  • Run by Foot Locker
  • Six:02
  • Sports Authority
  • Subway
  • Texaco
  • Toys R Us
  • Unleashed
  • Walgreens
  • Wegmans
  • Whole Foods

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Home Depot also accepts apple pay, been using it since launch
  • Reply 2 of 24
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fkick View Post

That's good news, because I want to go buy some LED light bulbs, but I didn't want to swipe my card.

• Reply 3 of 24

Yup. If you use the self checkout, just select "Credit Card" and hold your phone up to the card terminal. The terminal shows the NFC logo. 

• Reply 4 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rob55 wrote: »
    That's good news, because I want to go buy some LED light bulbs, but I didn't want to swipe my card.

OT but man are these new LED lights freaking awesome. I just replaced halogen spots in our kitchen and running a fraction of the power they are like 10 x as bright ... we have to use the dimmer or we'd go blind!

Back to ?Pay ... I fear getting it as I might want to go out again shopping. I've just gotten used to buying everything on Amazon!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Meijer stores (similar to Target) in the Midwest accept it.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fkick wrote: »

I've tried several times at a local Home Depot and it failed every time. No problems at Walgreens though.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    OT but man are these new LED lights freaking awesome. I just replaced halogen spots in our kitchen and running a fraction of the power they are like 10 x as bright ... we have to use the dimmer or we'd go blind!

Back to ?Pay ... I fear getting it as I might want to go out again shopping. I've just gotten used to buying everything on Amazon!

Do they make three way LED bulbs? I have some incandescents I want to replace due to heat generation.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Do they make three way LED bulbs? I have some incandescents I want to replace due to heat generation.
    I just looked around in some online catalogues, and couldn't find any triple-wattage LED's, as I'm also keen on getting some of these for some shaded lamps around the house; they're still using incandescents :(
  • Reply 9 of 24

Cree sells a 3-way 30/60/100 LED bulb at HomeDepot.  Did not check other brands. 

• Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Cree sells a 3-way 30/60/100 LED bulb at HomeDepot.  Did not check other brands. 

• Reply 11 of 24
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Launch it in Australia already! Apple Pay compatible PayPass/PayWave terminals are everywhere.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    rob55 wrote: »

Yeap i use applepay about 2 time a week at homedepot and i use it pretty much at any store with the nfc terminal on. It works perfect :)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    muadibe wrote: »
    I've tried several times at a local Home Depot and it failed every time. No problems at Walgreens though.

Yeah that happened to my friend too. It said his card was declined. I tried mine and it worked. ( yes he had money in the card)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fkick View Post

Yup. If you use the self checkout, just select "Credit Card" and hold your phone up to the card terminal. The terminal shows the NFC logo. 

Yep, it's the first and only time I've used Apple Pay has been at home Depot at the self check out line.  I saw the typical Logo of the MasterCard PayPass I guess and figured to give it a try.  I didn't know what I was doing at first or where to hold my phone, but figured it out, close to the Terminal screen and it worked.

Lowes on the other hand is in with the CurrectC group!!!

• Reply 15 of 24
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Yep, it's the first and only time I've used Apple Pay has been at home Depot at the self check out line.  I saw the typical Logo of the MasterCard PayPass I guess and figured to give it a try.  I didn't know what I was doing at first or where to hold my phone, but figured it out, close to the Terminal screen and it worked.

Lowes on the other hand is in with the CurrectC group!!!

I know lowes sucks. Not just for the CurrentC thing, but they have also stop carrying some of the tools and products i buy. And now with no applepay support, they have lost my business completely good thing i got homedepot just as conveniently located as lowes
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Most all of the lights in my house are now LED.     You know the Large Globe Bulbs used in Bathrooms.  I had fluorescent version I got form Home Depot.  My bathrooms use 3 of them each.  They looked similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/TCP-1G2504-Compact-Fluorescent-Globe/dp/B0002JL87S

The problem was they took like a minute to warm up and get to full brightness and even then not as good as the normal version.   Then I saw the LED version, a 3-pack in fact at Costco.  The price was right.  They pop on nice and bright right off, and they use even less power!!!  They worked so good in the first bathroom, I swapped the bulbs out in the second bathroom.  Much, Much better.

Online at Costco, they have a 4-bulb Pack!

http://www.costco.com/Feit-G25-LED-Globe-|-40W-Replacement-|-Uses-8W-|-510-Lumens-|-3,000K-Soft-White-|-25,000-Hours-|-4-pack.product.100116131.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=LED+Globe+Bulbs&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

• Reply 17 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member

I know this started out as an article about Staple's but I like the fact it's turned into an article about all the places you can use ApplePay since it shows people are using it.

I was at Wells Fargo yesterday and jokingly asked about using ApplePay and the person said they didn't think it would come to our town, only a large town like Seattle because the terminals cost too much. I find this hilarious since Wells Fargo is a huge and profitable bank. Our bank only has four tellers and they recently installed updated card terminals so adding new ones wouldn't be that big of a deal. My question, however, is whether ApplePay/TouchID will ever be used at an ATM or within a bank to guarantee identity. To get into my WF accounts in the bank, all I need is my debit card and pin and I can do anything. I don't remember the last time I actually had to sign for something but I do most of my banking using their mobile app and at their ATMs so a signature isn't required. Of course, if they allowed a TouchID-NFC connection at the ATM with a preconfigured request (I want to withdraw $100 from checking), they would still want to push all those stupid service ads at me.  

As for LED bulbs, many LED bulbs are now dimmable, which to me is a lot nicer than an old 3-way. Of course, this means you can't use the old 3-way switch on a lamp but it does mean they can be used instead of pot lights and halogens (if they fit). I find Home Depot has better prices on LED bulbs when they're on sale. Not sure why they're selling the Philips 60w soft white bulbs for less than $2, maybe people don't like that color. I've bought a bunch of these along with 8-bulb vanity light strips from Habitat ($5) to replace the constantly dying fluorescent tubes in my garage. That's the equivalent of 480w over a 4-ft length using only 84w of power. Now I can actually see what I'm working on.

• Reply 18 of 24
    idrey wrote: »
    Yeah that happened to my friend too. It said his card was declined. I tried mine and it worked. ( yes he had money in the card)
    idrey wrote: »

Same here, and not a funds issue either. Strange. Will have to try some different cards there.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    muadibe wrote: »

Same here, and not a funds issue either. Strange. Will have to try some different cards there.

Well we check for possible issues and his phone was having problems recognizing his finger print so it might be an authentication issue. We work with sharp metal so cut in fingerprints get alter a little
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Can't wait to try this out I go to staples about once a week a while back I remember them getting new terminals but they weren't sure what they were for , guess we will finally find out .