Apple Watch chip suppliers rumored to start production soon, orders at 30M to 40M units

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    captain j wrote: »
    No but it won't run the latest apps or the newest OS. For many that's a big deal especially on a device that may cost up to five grand.

We have no idea how upgrades will work. ?Watch is unlike anything Apple has done before. I'm highly skeptical that Apple will put a $5K price tag on the Edition watch and expect you to buy a new one every 2 years.
  • Reply 42 of 121
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I think that even Apple would call 2.5 million a quarter a failure as well.

... and anything less than that could easily be called a failure by Apple's current standards.

Not if Cook officially calls it a "hobby" and refuses to disclose sales.
  • Reply 43 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think that even Apple would call 2.5 million a quarter a failure as well.

... and anything less than that could easily be called a failure by Apple's current standards.

As I said in an earlier post Apple is reporting the watch in an "other" category along with ?TV and accessories. The fact they're not reporting it on its own out of the gate gives a good indication what their initial sales expectations are.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Not if Cook officially calls it a "hobby" and refuses to disclose sales.

I'm not going there. lol

• Reply 45 of 121
    rogifan wrote: »
    Tim Cook said Apple would be reporting the watch in an "other" category along with ?TV and accessories. I doubt Apple would be doing that If they expected iPhone like sales out of the gate.

Agreed. That's why I find the 30 to 40 million chip order highly unlikely.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As I said in an earlier post Apple is reporting the watch in an "other" category along with ?TV and accessories. The fact they're not reporting it on its own out of the gate gives a good indication what their initial sales expectations are.

... and what does that have to do with what you said earlier?

Are you saying that Cook expects the sales to be below 10 million the first year?

• Reply 47 of 121
    I'm not going there. lol

He's already said they won't disclose sales figures since they're lumping it in with tv and other misc products
  • Reply 48 of 121
    We have no idea how upgrades will work. ?Watch is unlike anything Apple has done before. I'm highly skeptical that Apple will put a $5K price tag on the Edition watch and expect you to buy a new one every 2 years.

I agree. I did put that caveat in further up in the thread. However, even if it is upgradable if the form factor changes it will have an effect on how people view their watch.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

He's already said they won't disclose sales figures since they're lumping it in with tv and other misc products

... but Cook hasn't said it's a "hobby"... yet.

• Reply 50 of 121
    Keep in mind, that the Apple Watch will come in many varieties between the 3 models and variety of bands. I think Apple may need to keep more inventory for the Apple Watch than they normally do for other products. Though, I'll be happy to see sales in the 30 million range.
  • Reply 51 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Tim Cook said Apple would be reporting the watch in an "other" category along with ?TV and accessories. I doubt Apple would be doing that If they expected iPhone like sales out of the gate.

I thought he said he put it in the Others category to hide key information like sales / pricing from its competitors.  I'm pretty sure he said that during the quarterly call.

• Reply 52 of 121
    macinscott wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that the Apple Watch will come in many varieties between the 3 models and variety of bands. I think Apple may need to keep more inventory for the Apple Watch than they normally do for other products. Though, I'll be happy to see sales in the 30 million range.

Same chip though and that's what this thread is about
  • Reply 53 of 121

I plan on buying one, but I have a bit of reluctance. A watch (and we know this is more than "a watch") is not something I expect to replace on an annual or two year cycle which is what I've done with my phones. Although there is no solid way to provide me with an answer, I can't help wondering how the next one will differ. How powerful will the next chip be? What will version 2.0 do that 1.0 doesn't? Will it change physically? To what extent will planned obsolesce be a part of this product? How much will I care? In 12 months I don't want to be peeved I bought version 1.0. I'm not someone who has to have the latest, greatest, newest whatever and I am usually patient enough to not require instant gratification, but this has really got me wondering.

• Reply 54 of 121

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wouldn't that be something if the Apple Watch had the ability to swap future chips.

That's the ideal scenario.  Keep the expensive case, upgrade the Sx chip every few years.

Remember: the price of gold is about $1200 per ounce now.  The Edition case will cost far more than the Sx chip.

(And it would be great if the Sx chip replacement could be done in Apple Stores while you wait.)

But who knows?  Maybe there are technical issues preventing easy Sx chip replacement.

If so, maybe Apple could launch an upgrade plan for the Apple Watch.

You'd get a good price for the old one every few years, and you'd also get a new case.

(Which would complicate things if Apple allows you to have custom engravings.)

• Reply 55 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Based on it being a first gen device that brings little to the table that the iPhone, wick you have to have with the watch anyway, doesn't already do. Unless the chips are upgradable this will be obsolete within two years. What major functionality did it bring that would make one want to spend $350 and way up to buy one?

My Breitlings major functionality is telling the time.  It's minor function is telling me the date.

It does **** all else, but I was happy to pay $4,500 for it.

As Oscar Wilde so accurately said, "a cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

• Reply 56 of 121
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    So with parts manufacturers,
    is Samsung getting any piece of this Apple pie?

Also what perfect timing to release the ?Watch. Right when new iPhone sales are soaring. I sees lot of people transitioning to iPhone 6 + ?Watch.
    Apple's timing, it's like they have a crystal ball or something.
  • Reply 57 of 121
    The best thing is how hard it would be to copy. None of the other companies have the brand cachet that Apple does to compete in the very high end, and they can't produce and integrated design with a great OS anytime soon. It'll likely end up like the MP3 player market, there will be the small group insisting their little Diamond Creative Zen Rio M6X3d Plus is better, while the rest of people just bought an iPod.
    Good point.
    I expected them to be conservative and have a target of 10 million (still a ton). That'd be over three billion in revenue at the bare minimum. Pushing that to 35 million units would be a minimum of over twelve billion...

Nonsense...competitors will make their watch face bezel thinner, the screen larger, then fandroids will call the Apple Watch stale for still being so small, then Woz will say Apple was three years late.
  • Reply 58 of 121
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

No Tim said it was to keep competitors out of the know. Which is makes good sense.
  • Reply 59 of 121

My Breitlings major functionality is telling the time.  It's minor function is telling me the date.

It does **** all else, but I was happy to pay $4,500 for it.

As Oscar Wilde so accurately said, "a cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

But the function of your Breitling was not and will not be surpassed by a new model every year or two. The Apple Watch will be. A Breitling bought 30 years ago is just as functional as one bought today. That will not be true of the Apple Watch or any other so called smart watch
  • Reply 60 of 121
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I like my hypothesis that you don't go to the trouble of putting an entire SIP (COC) into a single, sealed piece of resin unless 1) you have it to be water resistance (perhaps IP67 or better), and/or 2) you want this to be a long-lasting standard that can be used in future ?Watches but with updated performance and capacity on the S-series chip.

Would you mind expanding on this?