Disney's Eisner Attacks Apple (and Others) In Front Of Congress

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/25/music.sales.reut/index.html"; target="_blank">Here's an article about that.</a>

It's a little confusing, because there are lots of ways of measuring sales. But unit shipments (CDs, DVDs, LPs, casettes) were down about 10% and sales were down about 5% in 2001 compared to 2000.

The RIAA said it was due mostly to piracy, and cited a study that said 23% of music customers say they are buying less because they are pirating.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you look at most industry figures for 2000-2001, the numbers will be down. I wonder why? They'll be down sharper than 5% too.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Revenues were actually only down around 3-4%. In the midst of a general economic down turn that took it's toll in just about every area of conspicious consumption 4% is nothing. The recording business did quite well relative to other industries. You can't blame MP3 for the economy. That 23% number, and this feeble attempt to blame MP3 for what has been a bad year for everybody is just crap.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 64
    brian j.brian j. Posts: 139member
    I said I was done, but this issue is extremely important to me...

[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I rightfully own every mp3 on my HDD, so I hope you're not calling me a pirate. You probably have an illegally downloaded mp3 lurking somewhere onyour HDD.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

I'm sorry for implying that you are a pirate. That was out of line.

[quote]

<strong>

Be careful what you wish for, Brian J. The RIAA isn't your friend. They're just afraid artists won't need them any more...not with a robust distribution channel like the internet. Like I said before, the bigger pirates lie int he recording industry.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

I know *exactly* what I'm wishing for. I started a very small software business a year ago, and will be releasing a product in the next few months. I don't enjoy spending weeks developing effective anti-piracy measures just so people won't steal my software. I WISH I could focus on developing a better product. Read <a href="http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=14&article=00 0052" target="_blank">this </a> [ambrosiasw.com], if you want to understand the effects of piracy on a software business. It's written by AppleInsider's friends at Ambrosia Software (owned by moki). Piracy doesn't just hurt the executives of billion dollar multinational corporations. It hurts normal people like you and I.

Now.... Do I think the SSSCA Act is unconstitutional? Hell yes, and I signed a petition against it. Piracy prevention should be included by hardware manufacturers, but they shouldn't be forced to do it by legislation. Copyright holders and hardware vendors need to come up with a deal amongst themselves. However, I also think many people are against the SSSCA Act simply because they like getting their warez for free. Consumers always want a cheaper price, and free is about as cheap as it gets.

Once again, piracy is stealing. It's irrelevant what the RIAA's motives are. It does not matter whether the RIAA is protecting the old methods of distribution. (Anyways, that theory is far-fetched. Is it really that hard to believe the RIAA wants to prevent stealing?) The basis of the economy is greed. The RIAA or any business will always protect their interests. BUT if there are more efficient ways to deliver music, someone else will develop them in hopes of making a ton of money. Actually, now that I think about it, someone is. It's still in beta, but the <a href="http://www.napster.com"; target="_blank">"new" Napster</a> should be launching soon. As I said before, the market will eventually take care of economic inefficiencies, so people should stop arguing about how the RIAA is scheming to protect the "old way". If the Internet is really a viable vehicle for profitable music distribution, then Napster and other similar services will turn that idea into a reality. What a country!

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 64 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ambrosia's issues with pirates are an entirely different matter. For them, they are distributing a product with an expiring registration code. You can renew you code with a click of a button, and full functionality is restored. However, the inability to rip music from CD is a huge problem to me. If I can't rip my own CD, I just won't buy that CD at all, and I'll download copies of those songs from people who have successfully cracked the copy protection or made a quality copy through other means.

If anything, copy protection and other crippling schemes will make me a music pirate.

Ambrosia's scheme does not foster piracy. I commened the guys at Ambrosia for implementing a scheme that actually works. I had to renew my registration when I got my new computer. It took a few clicks, and I was done, and I didn't have to sacrifice anything.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>