Samsung responds to Apple's Continuity with its own cross-device 'Flow' feature

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 78
    As usual, Samsung proves that they don't get it. Without the ability to work with PCs (or other Android devices for that matter,) these services are going to see some really limited use cases.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,594member
    Will the last person to leave the room please turn out the lights...
  • Reply 63 of 78
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post





    And playing a game.



    When I'm shooting the baddies, I want to be able to pause my game on the iPad, Matrix-style, with the bullet in mid-air, whilst I migrate to my iMac and continue where I left off.

     

    Sounds interesting but that's something Apple will probably never add, the only company who is really investing in anything like that right now is Nvidia.

  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

     

     

    EDIT: NSFW.

     

    image 




    Off topic, but that was freaking weird.

  • Reply 65 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    5GHz of course. 90% of routers around your area are probably at 2.4GHz. I just disable 2.4GHz and only use 5GHz since all of my devices can recognize it.




    Exactly and might i add that from my experiments i've seen it's much better to stay on 5GHz even with a weak signal or about 50% than on 2.4GHz on stronger 90%. On the same router, in this scenario, the network speed was 4x or even 5x faster.

  • Reply 66 of 78
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This calls for a song...


    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 67 of 78
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

     

    I wish them luck, I really do. I'm hoping that Apple brings the ability to move a mobile phone based call back from the Mac to the iPhone so that you can switch between the two devices mid conversation.


     

    Wow that would be cool, like you could just open the phone app on your iPhone and have the call transfer seamlessly back to the phone (after being answered on the iMac)

    /s

     

    You do realize that it already does that don't you?

  • Reply 68 of 78
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

     

     But  But they didn't say they were gay too... Slipping




    Well, on the contrary!

     

     However, I must say that "Flow" is a better word than "Continuity".

  • Reply 69 of 78
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    mr o wrote: »
    paul94544 wrote: »
     
     But  But they didn't say they were gay too... Slipping


    Well, on the contrary!

     However, I must say that "Flow" is a better word than "Continuity".


    Flow is easier to say. However, I'm not sure it correctly explains its function.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

     



    Well, on the contrary!

     

     However, I must say that "Flow" is a better word than "Continuity".




    Actually not, Continuity is less ambiguous, flow could mean many things, therefor continuity is actually the more concise choice.

    Perhaps your point was that the mouth breathing apple haters find 5 syllable words frightening and confusing and prefer monosyllabic utterances. In which case you might have a point.

    ;-)

  • Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     



    Actually not, Continuity is less ambiguous, flow could mean many things, therefor continuity is actually the more concise choice.

    Perhaps your point was that the mouth breathing apple haters find 5 syllable words frightening and confusing and prefer monosyllabic utterances. In which case you might have a point.

    ;-)


    Hahha this is golden!

  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     



    Actually not, Continuity is less ambiguous, flow could mean many things, therefor continuity is actually the more concise choice.

    Perhaps your point was that the mouth breathing apple haters find 5 syllable words frightening and confusing and prefer monosyllabic utterances. In which case you might have a point.

    ;-)


    I see what you did there. You mocked non-Apple mobile device users without using a direct reference. Nice play!

  • Reply 73 of 78
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

    It's one thing to constantly and blatantly copy, it's another thing to not have one guy on marketing worth its salt.

     

    "Defer", how very effing imaginative, looks like some stalinist bureaucrat chose it. And "transferring" files is called "Transfer". Too bad Imagination Technologies is already taken, because these guys so richly deserve it...

  • Reply 74 of 78
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member



    Great find and a great interview, and an immensely enjoyable read. 

     

    Quote:

     

    The ideas aren't the most difficult bit

     

    "By the time we get to the end of the year, a small decision that you made right at the beginning defines an entirely different product. Particularly at the beginning of ideas, we have to have incredible discipline to listen really hard. To realise we can end up somewhere very different if we make these decisions. This is part of what I like about being involved in product design – it always starts off as a conversation and a thought.

    "I don't know anybody who has just had an idea and then will stand up in front of a group of people and try to explain this vague thought. So it tends to be exclusive and fragile. When you make the very first physical manifestation of what the idea was, everything changes. It's the most profound shift. Because it's not exclusive any more. It's not so open to interpretation. It's there, and it includes a lot of people. The ideas aren't the most difficult bit. It's the actually making them real. Giving an idea body is very hard."



  • Reply 75 of 78

    'Leading from behind' seems like the approach of an idiot.

    Especially as doing so has already bitten them in the arse more than once!

  • Reply 76 of 78
    Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

    'Leading from behind' seems like the approach of an idiot.



    Or a puppeteer.

  • Reply 77 of 78

    hopefully, your confidence might be justified.

Sign In or Register to comment.