Share Cable Internet connect from PC to Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am wondering if any of you can help?

I have a PC with an ethernet/cable internet connection in one room, and an iMac SE in another room (right in the next room actually). Can I somehow use the cable internet connection from my PC to my iMac wirelessly?

The PC and the Mac will never be on at the same time, so I don't want to network them, I basically just want to use whatever IP TimeWarner gives me (on whatever machine I use first).

So, if I get the Airport Base Station and hook that up to the Mac, what do I need on the PC side (which has the cable connection) to send the connection over to the Mac wirelessly? If this is possible, what do I need? A router or something? I was told LinkSys is good for these kinds of things.

I am new to the networking scene, so any info would be cool!

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: iPatchoulio ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I don't think you will need the airport base station.

This should be all you need: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3/102-3738193-8015321"; target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3/102-3738193-8015321</A>;

Hook your cable modem up to that and you should be good to go. I have the wired model and it is great, I highly recommend Linksys.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: FotNS ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    Hey FotNS, thanks for the link! I am a bit confused though.

If I hook up that LinkSys router to my PC/Cable modem in the first room, how to I get my iMac in the second room to receive the cable connection? What device (if one exists) do I need to hook up to the Mac that will talk to this router?

Also, is there any software needed for both the PC and Mac when doing this? I remember when I had my cable modem/access installed, there was no software involved. Even after I formatted and did a clean install of Windows XP, I didn't have to do anything as the connection was automatically just there.

Damn this is all very confusing! :confused:
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I was assuming your iMac has the airport card built in. If it does then it should be able to receive the signal just fine through the wall.

You would need no extra software. The router has all the necessary software built-in. You just set the router's IP address as the default gateway in the TCP/IP settings of your PC, and then use the browser interface to enter the settings the router needs to talk to the cable company. From then on, the router takes care of establishing the connection, plus it has a built-in firewall.

On the iMac you would need to set your Ethernet to use 802.11b and enter in the same gateway address as you did on the PC.

That is a quick summary of the process. The router comes with instructions that are pretty complete and should enable you to complete the setup.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    Hey thanks again! I am ordering the LinkSys router and the Airport card for the iMac as well. I am assuming that there is a place to pop in this PC card in the back of the iMac where the RAM is installed?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by iPatchoulio:

<strong>Hey thanks again! I am ordering the LinkSys router and the Airport card for the iMac as well. I am assuming that there is a place to pop in this PC card in the back of the iMac where the RAM is installed?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here's some help:

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58537"; target="_blank">Installing AirPort Card In iMac</a>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    D'oh! Too late to help you, but I was going to suggest using Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing software and a second NIC-- assuming you don't mind running a cable from one to the other-- I had a small LAN running this was in my college days-- total hardware costs were about 15 dollars.

Basically the PC would perform the duties (NAT and connection) that you would normally relegate to a $100 cable/dsl router... the only drawback is that the PC has to run 24/7.