Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo grocery stores to begin accepting Apple Pay - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Two major southeastern grocery store chains, Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo, are said to begin accepting Apple Pay tap-to-pay transactions at the start of next week, according to a new report.

Citing an anonymous source, MacRumors reported on Friday that Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo stores will begin supporting Apple Pay at their more than 1,300 collective locations starting next week. Official support is said to begin on Monday, Nov. 17, though various reports suggest that some locations are already accepting Apple Pay.

Winn-Dixie has more than 500 stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi, while Bi-Lo is located over 800 stores in those same states plus North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.

The Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo stores will join fellow grocers Whole Foods, Wegmans, and Meijer. Other major participating partners include BJ's, Bloomingdale's, Disney Store, Duane Reade, Foot Locker, Macy's, McDonald's, Nike, Office Depot, Panera Bread, Radio Shack, Sports Authority, Subway, Toys R Us, and Walgreens.

Also joining this week was office supply store Staples, which is now accepting Apple Pay at its more than 1,400 U.S. locations.

Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo stores have not been listed on Apple's website as supporters, so their addition is somewhat of a surprise. Other official upcoming partners for 2014 are:
  • Anthropologie
  • Free People
  • Sephora
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Walt Disney World
Apple Pay retail is currently supported on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. In-store support for Apple Pay will also be expanded to the Apple Watch when it debuts in early 2015. Pairing an Apple Watch will allow older iPhone models to support Apple Pay, including the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    No doubt Apple ]['s favorite stores after Walmart. :D
  • Reply 2 of 14
    This is great. Apple just messaged me on Tuesday i'm due for an upgrade and so I have been looking forward to using Apple Pay. I normall shop at Publix but with a brand new Winn-Dixie opening across the street a couple months ago I will do more of my shopping with them.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    as predicted toppling one by one...I guess I'll be going to my local WinDixie.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    What, no love for the Piggly Wiggly?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Good to know if I'm ever in The Deep.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    No doubt Apple ]

I like Walmart, but not for everything.
  • Reply 7 of 14

Who?!... wow, really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

let me know when I can get a metro card, pay for my cab or use it at my mom and pops Greek restaurant on 41st and 8th. Till that point I still need to walk around with a credit card in my pocket - It also accepted just about everywhere. it was a Useless over hyped tech when Google wallet came out, it is a useless over hyped tech now that Apple did it.

• Reply 8 of 14
    agramonte wrote: »
    Who?!... wow, really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

let me know when I can get a metro card, pay for my cab or use it at my mom and pops Greek restaurant on 41st and 8th. Till that point I still need to walk around with a credit card in my pocket - It also accepted just about everywhere. it was a Useless over hyped tech when Google wallet came out, it is a useless over hyped tech now that Apple did it.

You think you're so smart. That's how they get you.
    Read this, and arm yourself with knowledge:
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Stater Bros. Markets in the western U.S. are now taking ApplePay.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    @digitalclips
    I just emailed Publix asking when they will start accepting Apple Pay.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    That's good news; guess I'll be doing some grocery shopping at Winn-Dixie instead of Publix.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    That's good news; guess I'll be doing some grocery shopping at Winn-Dixie instead of Publix.
    Really? Produce, bakery, deli, and customer service quality are less important than if you can pay by tapping your phone? Thee's no comparison in the shopping experience between Winn-Dixie and Publix. Certainly sounds like you'd be a poster-child for "cut off your nose..."
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Publix customer service is not that great I asked my them if they was going to accept Apple Pay, instead of explaining to me that they are part of CurrentC, they told me to leave if that's great customer service to you you can have Publix but I will never buy from Publix ever again
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Publix gave me a corporate weasley answer too, when I emailed them. I wasn't happy with it, but it's not enough to make me shop elsewhere. The oldest Publix in a sketchy neighborhood is still better by far than a brand new Winn Dixie. I literally go out of my way to shop at Publix for groceries. I also find it hard to believe they actually told you to leave, unless you were being belligerent or something.