Apple responds to Masque Attack concerns, says unaware of affected users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Oh look another clueless moron. Are you really this dumb?. Throwing that crap out of something Apple said weeks ago. Like no one knows more have been bent since that time. Is this the new fandroids thing to say. Single 1 item and run it into the ground like the whole rounded corners thing?. Just flat out leaving everything else out.

According to consumers report, the HTC ONE M8 bend easier then the iPhone. Yet for some reason none of you care about that.

Oh, get over yourself. Just don't believe everything a corporation feeds you. That's the point. I'm sorry I didn't surround it with smileys or some shit.

I sure as hell ain't going to install an 'untrusted' app. I don't have an association with any place that would give me enterprisey apps to install and the warning is sufficiently alarming. Does that make you feel better?

• Reply 42 of 51
    djsherly wrote: »

Oh, get over yourself. Just don't believe everything a corporation feeds you. That's the point. I'm sorry I didn't surround it with smileys or some shit.

I sure as hell ain't going to install an 'untrusted' app. I don't have an association with any place that would give me enterprisey apps to install and the warning is sufficiently alarming. Does that make you feel better?

You started out great, however you don't need anything enterprise(y) for the hack. It's been around for a long time and a lot of people either have or are making a lot of money on it. You don't need to start out with one. The person gives you one. Think STD while you were sleeping or something,

That's the oldest one. There's quite a few that haven't been "let out of the can" yet.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    matrix07 wrote: »

Huh, I had PCs and needed to wipe my HDD a few times because of virus. Just you didn't get it doesn't make it unreal. Asks Microsoft why do they always provide security updates every couple of weeks if there's no such a danger.

Sheesh. I hate this revisionist. Just because Apple system is significantly safer, now all security flaws in other's OS are all imaginative. Talks about head in the sand.

Well sounds like you had a rough patch, I never really used Windows in the past so I can't comment on your misfortunes but since using Windows 8 I haven't had any problems, nor with any other OS I have used, including Android. Now that I have started using web apps as my main source of applications, hopefully my good fortune will continue. Though I truly believe it has nothing to do with luck but following proper security measures.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    djsherly wrote: »

You started out great, however you don't need anything enterprise(y) for the hack. It's been around for a long time and a lot of people either have or are making a lot of money on it. You don't need to start out with one. The person gives you one. Think STD while you were sleeping or something,

That's the oldest one. There's quite a few that haven't been "let out of the can" yet.

Well, after lots(?) of dissembling 'there's lots out there'...would you care to enlighten us?
    Name 'names'...why so evasive?
    Not in denial but I have another life.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I think it's time to put up or shut up.  You keep hinting at these great exploits that are available for the right price.  Name them or stop talking about them.  No one wants to hear boogeyman stories.  In fact, don't bother naming them.  Most here will automatically go into damage control mode and immediately tell you why the security vulnerability is a non-issue.  Thank the gods that Apple takes iOS and OSX security vulnerabilities more seriously then the members here or else they'd never fix anything!

• Reply 46 of 51
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Most here will automatically go into damage control mode and immediately tell you why the security vulnerability is a non-issue.

Because they are. Exploits that aren’t in the wild are meaningless. But you also won’t find anyone who says they shouldn’t be patched.

• Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

If you don't understand it and you want to defend or exaggerate that's up to you. In reality it requires less than one minute alone with your phone, iPad, or Mac.

Apparently you are the one who does not understand my post.  I realize it takes only minutes... however, in those minutes you have to accept an unknown/untrusted enterprise certificate by bypassing a warning that tells you the app you are about to install is form an untrusted developer.  That is purposely bypassing security measures.

This analogous to handing your iPhone to somebody, giving them the unlock passcode and your iCloud password then being upset that something went wrong.  If you knowingly bypass the security measures and then get upset that something bad happened, then you are an idiot.  Every enterprise certificate is unique.  Just because you trust the one from your employer you are not automatically vulnerable to some unknown certificate.  You still get the "untrusted developer" warning.  Simple solution -- don't bypass it.

• Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought this "bug" was related to enterprise certificates where employees can install apps outside the AppStore. I know I've done it where I work. But I understand what I'm doing so I'd never install something questionable. One would hope that's the case with any company employees who are downloading custom apps on their iOS devices.

It is... but when you install an app from your employer whose certificate you have trusted before then you don't get a warning.  When you install an app from a random link that is signed by a different enterprise certificate then you have to bypass a warning that tells you the app is from an untrusted developer.  This is the glaring omission from the posted YouTube video on Masque attack -- and it seems purposeful to make it seem more dangerous.  In the video, the guy has already trusted the malicious certificate and thus gets no warning that the app is dangerous.  You would hope that the guys with access to your employer's certificate are not going to try to attack you with malware on your company phone.

• Reply 49 of 51
    droidftw wrote: »
    I think it's time to put up or shut up.  You keep hinting at these great exploits that are available for the right price.  Name them or stop talking about them.  No one wants to hear boogeyman stories.  In fact, don't bother naming them.  Most here will automatically go into damage control mode and immediately tell you why the security vulnerability is a non-issue.  Thank the gods that Apple takes iOS and OSX security vulnerabilities more seriously then the members here or else they'd never fix anything!

Put up or shut up is exactly what is not. Sorry. That comes with a fee.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Because they are. Exploits that aren’t in the wild are meaningless. But you also won’t find anyone who says they shouldn’t be patched.

I love and hate you. You absolutely are the anti apple. When someone grabs a new iPod, iPhone or iPad, you blast them hard. Just because they want to be close to YOU.

Then you turn them away.

Enjoy!

"Exploits that are not in the wild are meaningless". So an exploit that is not in the "wild" or more or less controlled so it's not let out to the public is absolutely meaningless.

It does however generate a lot of revenue.

Wow. Just Wow.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    droidftw wrote: »

I know it's hated aroud here, but Google can help.

My absolute joy is seeing Apple ][ post about the "poor" people who can't afford this system. It gives me joy knowing the people with money are in control of it. His own arguement can be used against him. Who's add impressions are being looked at? Clearly those with money. Heck if I cared, why would I bother with the "poor" people? Why would I serve adds to people who can't buy anything? If they can't pay $.99 to buy a phone then they really can't buy anything. Why place an add?