Apple releases Xcode 6.1.1 golden master with fixes for Swift, Xcode Server

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2020
Apple on Friday issued to developers a golden master build of the upcoming Xcode 6.1.1 update, bringing bug fixes for Xcode Server, the Swift programming language and Interface Builder, among others.

The Xcode 6.1.1 GM, labeled build 6A2006, concentrates on fixing bugs from the most recent Xcode 6.1 release, including common SourceKit crashes in Swift and general issues with Xcode Server.

Specifically, Apple resolved multiple issues causing crash events in Swift, as well as other coding bugs, while patching permission problems, crashes and SSH handling in Xcode Server. The GM also addresses an issue in Interface Builder that would prevent opening or compiling IB documents containing a slash in its image name.

Finally, the OCUnit and SenTestingKit framework were deprecated with Xcode 6.1.1 and will be completely removed from the software in a future release. Developers are encouraged to migrate to XCTest for Xcode testing.

Alongside Xcode 6.1.1, Apple released Command Line Tools Packages for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and OS X 10.10 Yosemite, enabling UNIX-style development from Terminal.

Developers can access the Xcode 6.1.1 GM -- a 2.5GB download -- and the Command Line Tools Package via Apple's developer portal.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8
    This thread won't see much traffic, which is unfortunate, because Swift is setting an LTE* for Apple's future. This has been an amazing year for Apple.

* I'm bogarting the term longterm evolution.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

This thread won't see much traffic, which is unfortunate, because Swift is setting an LTE* for Apple's future. This has been an amazing year for Apple.

It's not as exciting as something flashy. I'm not a developer but I like to know Apple's always thinking of improvements.

I believe they've been working on Swift for about four years, IIRC, so I'm hoping a new file system to replace HFS+ is also in the works.

• Reply 4 of 8

It's not as exciting as something flashy. I'm not a developer but I like to know Apple's always thinking of improvements.

I believe they've been working on Swift for about four years, IIRC, so I'm hoping a new file system to replace HFS+ is also in the works.

I wonder if ?Watch will be written entirely in Swift.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    solipsismy wrote: »

By the way, have the big bugs been ironed out of Yosemite yet? Still holding off until the rough edges have been sanded down.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

other than wifi and a few ui quirks and the odd iTunes bug everything seems fine with yosemite, as far as I can tell. 

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

My bet is that it's optimized for it, TBH.

• Reply 8 of 8
    solipsismy wrote: »

My bet is that it's optimized for it, TBH.

Bingo!

What matters most about Swift is spelled out in the first chapter of The Swift Programming Language. Swift is intended to be “the first industrial-quality systems programming language that is as expressive and enjoyable as a scripting language. […] It’s designed to scale from ‘hello, world’ to an entire operating system.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/21/

?WatchOS ...  ?ApplleTV ...  ?Home ...  ?iOS ...  ?OSX ...  ?Script ...   ===> ?OS

?Script witt include:
    • ad hoc low-level device scripting -- Terminal Scripting -- already available
    • ad hoc higher-level device scripting -- OAS, AppleScript/Automator replacement
    • ad hoc high-level device app scripting ala HyperCard
    • server-side web app programming/scripting ala PHP, Ruby, ColdFusion, etc
    • client-side browser scripting alternative to JavaScript
    • general purpose app extension scripting -- e.g. VB-like extensions to Numbers, Pages, Keynote
    • storyboard/prototype scripting -- standalone, app development, Pro App extensions