iPhone 5 Not Connecting to Computer. Not Charging or Showing in iTunes.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

I've had this problem for a couple weeks now and I can't figure it out.  I have restarted my Mac Book Pro and iPhone multiple times and I have reinstalled iTunes.  Everything is up to date.  I can plug my phone into other computers and it works fine.  I have tried other cables.  I plug it in and it just doesn't do anything.  No charging and it doesn't show in iTunes or sync.  HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Is the USB port you're using still work with other devices? Also, if you open Image Capture in /Applications, does your iPhone show up as a camera?
  • Reply 2 of 40

I connected an iPad to the computer and it recognized it and charged no problem.  iPhoto doesn't recognize my phone either.  I use the same USB cord for my phone to charge it with an outlet and it charges fine but when I connect the same one to my computer it doesn't do anything.

• Reply 3 of 40
    If you make a new user account and open iTunes/iPhoto when logged into the new account does it show up? Don't sync anything with the other account, just check if it appears.
  • Reply 4 of 40

Tried it with another user account and a guest account and same issue not charging or showing up at all in the computer.

• Reply 5 of 40
    That's quite strange behavior. Have you tried plugging in the iPhone to the laptop and then repeatedly removing and plugging in the Lightning end to the iPhone, including reversing the direction of the Lightning cable? Does it ever make the bleep noise when the cable goes into the iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 40

May be there is some configuration proble. Why don't you contact Apple store?

• Reply 7 of 40

I have tried the cable in every configuration possible and tried a totally different cord as well all with the same result.  I use the same cable everynight with a wall charger to charge my phone no problem.  It doesn't make the connection noise when I connect it to my laptop, it doesn't do anything at all.  I have had this phone and computer combo for almost two years now and this has been going on for maybe a month now!  Very frustrating.

• Reply 8 of 40
    jon boriss wrote: »
    I have tried the cable in every configuration possible and tried a totally different cord as well all with the same result.  I use the same cable everynight with a wall charger to charge my phone no problem.  It doesn't make the connection noise when I connect it to my laptop, it doesn't do anything at all.  I have had this phone and computer combo for almost two years now and this has been going on for maybe a month now!  Very frustrating.

Given that it has developed in the last month, the phone works elsewhere, the cables work elsewhere, other user accounts don't work and other devices work on the Mac hardware, it sounds like an OS problem. Which version of OS X are you using and did you update the OS around the time the problems started or some other system software? Apple has a support document for OS 10.6 suggesting an iOS device could fail to show up but it doesn't apply to newer versions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3540
  • Reply 9 of 40

All of my stuff is up to date with the latest versions.

• Reply 10 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Could it be that there's a limit reached on the number of computers this iPhone is allowed to sync with?

Edit: though that still doesn't explain the non-charging issue, so I guess I don't know.
  • Reply 11 of 40

I only sync it with this one computer.  I guess I will take it in and see what they say because I really can't figure this out.

• Reply 12 of 40

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  My whole family is experiencing the same thing with our cords...even with my new phone.

• Reply 13 of 40
    imickimick Posts: 351member

I have this problem with my 5.  My 5s and 6 work fine.  I've tried many different cords and computers.  

The answer is simple.  The port on the 5 is bad.  The port needs to be replaced.  A simple Google search can show how to repair it if you are up to that.  Or just take it in to an iPhone repair place to get it fixed.

• Reply 14 of 40

If you are using windows. Please follow below steps.

1. Goto Device Manager

2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

3. Double Click on USB Hub where Iphone is connected

4. Goto "Power" Tab on the popup there you can see the "Apple iPhone" 

5. Double Click on "Apple iPhone" device another popup will show

6. Click on "Enable Device"

7. Now your iphone will start charging and you can see on iTunes

Thanks,

Rajeesh

• Reply 15 of 40

I am having the same problem.! No reaction either in phone(iphone5) nor in laptop.

It is not even giving a beep sound and not even getting connected.

I am using windows 8.1 pro with all drivers installed but nothing turns up.

All the software are updated but nothing happens.

I even tried the same thing with different iphone5 and different cables but its showing nothing. I performed all the above mentioned steps but as the same.  Please help me out.

• Reply 16 of 40

Check your cable. I had same problem. After that I tried it with original cable of my colleague it begin to work.

• Reply 17 of 40

Go to device manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right click Apple one in list and uninstall device driver software.  Be sure to click to delete software. > Once uninstalled, unplug phone and plug back into USB port and the correct software will install.

This happened to me when I updated iTunes to the most recent version.  It wouldn't recognize that my phone was plugged in.  After completing the steps above, it now recognizes my phone.  Good luck :)

• Reply 18 of 40

Same problem! Very frustrating!

• Reply 19 of 40

Rajeesh! thank you for your tip.. it worked! I was having trouble connecting my Iphone 5 to save my photos and videos to my Imac. I was frustrated, so I went to my windows laptop which wasn't connecting either, and followed your steps and it worked!

But it was already enabled so I disabled it and went back to enable.. strange but THANKS it worked :)

• Reply 20 of 40

Thanks Heaps. Had been trying everything after having the same issue. Did what you said and worked in seconds. Very frustrating.

Thanks

John