Apple releases iOS 8.1.1 with performance improvements for iPad 2 & iPhone 4s, plus bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Apple on Monday pushed out an update for its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 8.1.1, with the headline improvements coming for users of older devices like the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

In addition to performance improvements for legacy devices, Apple has said the update also includes bug fixes and increased stability. iOS 8.1.1 can be downloaded through the Software Update option within the iOS Settings application.

iOS 8.1.1 is compatible with the iPhone 4S and newer iPhone models, iPad 2 and newer, and the fifth-generation iPod touch. It is identified as build "12B435."

In addition, Apple TV software update 7.0.2 was also released on Monday. It is compatible with third-generation set-top box hardware sold in 2013 or later.

Only a single beta of iOS 8.1.1 was supplied to developers, arriving earlier this month for pre-release testing. That version was identified as build "12B432."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80

I have an iPad 2. So, I hope it works fine.

• Reply 2 of 80
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Will be nice if it fixes the battery drain on my iPhone 5 as well. I got less than two hours total from 100% down to about 40% and then shutting off completely. Two hours consisted of about forty minutes talk time, ten minutes of music playback, and about twenty minutes of GPS. Ridiculous. 

• Reply 3 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Updating now!

Hopefully this fixes the small reboot issue I had with my iPad Air 2. If not, I'll just pay a little visit to the nearest Apple store and get a new one I suppose.

• Reply 4 of 80
    Hallelujah!

Haven't downloaded yet.

WARNING: I sorely recommend everyone to wait until Friday before installing this update.

If anyone is brave or foolish enough to install it before, they might like to let us know whether it fixes the reboot fiasco.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Updating now!

Hopefully this fixes the small reboot issue I had with my iPad Air 2. If not, I'll just pay a little visit to the nearest Apple store and get a new one I suppose.

I'm sad to say that I had a reboot on my Air 2 a few days ago. So I don't think storage is an issue, as mine is only half full. On the bright side, I was amazed how quickly it rebooted!
  • Reply 6 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope this fixes text selection, copy/paste and that annoying bug where the keyboard freezes and Safari crashes.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    feynman wrote: »
    Will be nice if it fixes the battery drain on my iPhone 5 as well. I got less than two hours total from 100% down to about 40% and then shutting off completely. Two hours consisted of about forty minutes talk time, ten minutes of music playback, and about twenty minutes of GPS. Ridiculous. 

You've probably got a faulty battery. It's a known condition that I had. Go to an Apple Store, and Apple will test the battery there and then and let you know whether it's at fault. They will then replace your battery if necessary.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Updating now!

Yes I've gotten the reboot twice now over the past weekend. iOS 7.1 fixed that so I'm not sure how it came back in iOS 8.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I have an iPad 2. So, I hope it works fine.

Have you tried a complete restore and set up as a new phone? I also have a 5 (work supplied on the sh*t I mean sprint network). I haven't noticed any power drains. Battery life has been the same as far as I can tell.

• Reply 10 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm sad to say that I had a reboot on my Air 2 a few days ago. So I don't think storage is an issue, as mine is only half full. On the bright side, I was amazed how quickly it rebooted!

I'm not sure how legit this is or not, but I read something about the different types of NAND being used.

I have 95 GBs free on my iPad, so it's definitely not because my iPad is filled up either.

And yep, it does reboot super quick. 

• Reply 11 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes I've gotten the reboot twice now over the past weekend. iOS 7.1 fixed that so I'm not sure how it came back in iOS 8.

Was there a reboot issue with iPads before? I wasn't aware of that.

• Reply 12 of 80

Since we are all adding our personal bugs, I hope this fixes crashing of the iPhone camera app while recording video. When I first try to record video, the app will freeze after about 7-15 seconds. I have to hit the home button to get out. If I try to record again, it will usually crash after several seconds. I have to kill the app completely, and that point I can usually record without any problems. I first noticed this problem a couple of weeks ago, and I tend to record a bit (I have a baby girl, so therefore every moment must be captured!). Photos are not a problem, and I have not tried other apps to record video. I reported it to Apple, and I am downloading the update now. I have an iPhone 6 with 128GB and plenty of free memory. 

• Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

With my original iPad mini occasionally on reboot it hangs on the Apple logo with a white bar. After somewhere between 15 - 20 min it loads and works normally. This might of been happening to other users.

• Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I had a reboot issue with my iPhone 5S and iPad 3 with iOS7. iOS7. iOS7.1 fixed it on my iPhone, but not my iPad 3. The problem was transferred to my iPad Air. Getting a replacement iPad Air helped for a few days, and now it reboots about once a day. The consensus out there is that this has to do with too many apps on the iPad (guilty here...), maybe because some are really outdated. I should at least start to delete old apps that haven't been updated in quite a while, especially those that I don't really use. 

• Reply 15 of 80
    On my 5S, it often refused to connect all the way to cell or wifi until I restarted the phone. Hoping 8.1.1 helps with this.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    so far, no issues noticed on iPhone 6. Looks like many of my keyboard issues are resolved.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Snappier and fappier?
  • Reply 18 of 80
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    So no fixes for iPhone 6? Bugs or anything?
  • Reply 19 of 80

IdleWanderlust and cm477, oh ok. I wasn't aware of those past issues with iPads affecting some people.

I have both an original iPad Mini and an iPad 3, and I've never noticed any random reboots before, until I got the iPad Air 2.

• Reply 20 of 80
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Yeah, fix the damn WiFi issue. Also, bugs that freeze the rotation of the screen sometimes: like in Photo and Safari. I had to kill the apps, cleared the multitasks and reopened them to make them work again. Never happened with older iOS before 8.