Nokia channels Apple's iPad mini with new N1 Android tablet for China

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2014
In one of its first major product releases as a Microsoft subsidiary, former handset heavyweight Nokia on Tuesday unveiled a new 7.9-inch Android tablet that appears to take a number of cues from Apple's rival iPad mini.

Nokia touts the N1's 64-bit processor, fully-laminated display, and one-piece aluminum body --?"sandblasted for a satin finish" --?that is available in both "natural aluminum" and "lava gray." Included in the device are an 8-megapixel rear camera, 5-megapixel front camera, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 6-axis gyroscope and accelerometer, and a MIMO-support 802.11ac Wi-Fi chip.

The control layout is nearly identical to Apple's miniature tablet, with a headphone jack and lock switch on top and two volume buttons on the upper-right edge. The bottom brings dual speakers that sit on either side of a reversible USB Type C connector.

The N1 will be one of the first devices to ship with the new USB connector standard. First announced in December of last year, USB Type C is slightly larger than Apple's Lightning connector, but allows users to insert the plug in any orientation.

Nokia plans to release the N1 in China for $249 early next year, "with the anticipation of expanding sales to other markets." The tablet will be produced by Foxconn, which has licensed the Nokia brand, the N1's industrial design, and Nokia's Z Launcher software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    wow... there is absolutely no pretense here. this is a straight up copy. I guess they figure "it's in China, so who cares" :shrugs:
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Nice design. Wonder where they got it from :)

Is it running "Open source Android" (what google calls AOSP), what Fandroids euphemistically call "stock Android" (i.e., with closed source Google apps), or some custom fork?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Oh here we go again! Plagiarism, pure and simple.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Hmm, I wonder how much of Apple's tooling at Foxconn come into play here.

It's 64-bit Silvermont (Atom) and a USB Type C connector, but with USB 2, not 3 nor 3.1, protocol.
  • Reply 5 of 61

Nokia has no class.

This tablet will likely have excellent internals. Mediatek chipset, substandard NAND that begins degrading after six months, $.001 cent speakers, and a screen that brings new meaning to "not color accurate".

• Reply 6 of 61
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nice design. Wonder where they got it from image

Is it running "Open source Android" (what google calls AOSP), what Fandroids euphemistically call "stock Android" (i.e., with closed source Google apps), or some custom fork?

It's a skin

Nokia calls it Z launcher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30096603

Edit: Nokia site has it.

• Reply 7 of 61
    Is this being released by Nokia the "Microsoft subsidiary", or is this released by the part of Nokia that Microsoft did not buy? I was under the impression that it was the latter.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronm88 View Post

Is this being released by Nokia the "Microsoft subsidiary", or is this released by the part of Nokia that Microsoft did not buy? I was under the impression that it was the latter.

It's the latter, if it was an MS product it'd be running Windows. This is Nokia Networks releasing this.

• Reply 9 of 61
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronm88 View Post

It's the non MS Nokia.

• Reply 10 of 61

It's the latter, if it was an MS product it'd be running Windows. This is Nokia Networks releasing this.

The N1 is the product of a licensing agreement with Foxconn that will see the Taiwanese company produce and distribute the tablet while paying royalties to Nokia for its design and brand.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In one of its first major product releases as a Microsoft subsidiary........

Is anyone at "Appleinsider Staff" actually following the tech market?

• Reply 12 of 61

Another Android tablet to toss on the pile.

Nothing to really see here.

• Reply 13 of 61
    And this is why the damages against Samsung should have been punative rather than an insulting 1bn which is still less than 1 quarters profit for Samsung, even with mobile device profits tumbling. We can only hope that consumers want something truly different if they don't want iOS rather than a carbon copy iPad mini running android. However I hope the new stategy of out competing copycats in their home market rather than litigation pays off. I wonder if apple uses design patents and copyright as well as straight up patents as I would think they are more suited to protecting the design and feel of a product. Just a thought
  • Reply 14 of 61
    It'll never happen but I wish Apple would use some of it's billions to start-up all manufacturing internally here in the states. Take Foxconn, Samscum totally out of the loop. No more leaks; copying will always happen but it seems these third parties constantly take advantage of their inside knowledge of Apple and their products.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Don't despair my friend. I think apple is doing this on the low down. I've noticed that when apple is using Samsung and Foxconn they are introducing US plants in the mix and are about to set up research facilities in the UK (yeah! ). Theyay not bring it all in house but they may slowly bring manufacturing back to countries where IP laws are more in sync with the U.S. ????
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Take a look at the subdomain Nokia created for the device, taking all design cues from Apple:

http://n1.nokia.com

And of course they had to do a video a well:

[VIDEO]

Tech Specs
    Height
    200.7mm
    Width
    138.6 mm
    Depth
    6.9 mm
    Body
    One-piece design
    Aluminum with surface anodization
    Weight
    318 g
    Colors
    Natural Aluminum or Lava Gray
    Camera
    8 MP rear-facing camera with autofocus
    5 MP front-facing camera, fixed focus
    1080p video recording
    Buttons and connections
    3.5 mm audio
    Micro-USB 2.0 with a Type-C reversible connector

Display
    7.9 inch (4:3)
    2048x1536 resolution
    Gorilla® glass 3
    IPS panel with LED backlight
    Fully laminated zero air-gap display
    Chip
    Intel® 64-bit Atom™ Processor Z3580, 2.3 GHz
    Memory
    LPDDR3 (800 MHz), 2 GB
    Storage
    eMMC 5.0, 32 GB
    Graphics
    PowerVR G6430, 533 MHz

Audio
    High Quality Discrete Audio Codec, Wolfson
    WM8958E, independent audio codec
    Speakers
    Two 0.5 W stereo speakers
    90 dB with less than 10% total harmonic distortion (THD)
    Microphone
    Digital MIC Cavity resonance frequency more than 20 KHz
    Battery
    18.5 Wh (5300 mAh) rechargeable lithium polymer battery (3.7 V)
    Sensors
    6-axis Gyro+Accelerometer
    Wireless
    Wi-Fi, (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual channel (2.4GHz & 5GHz) with MIMO
    Bluetooth, BT 4.0
    Software
    Android™ 5.0 Lollipop
    Nokia Z Launcher

But yeah, it's from Nokia, the makers of terrible ads:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 17 of 61
    It looks pretty nice but maybe it's because it looks like something Apple makes.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    This would be the tablet i'd buy if i used Android.
    The Nokia branding and the cheap retail price will help it sell against other Android tablets.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    It's probably Nokia just licensing its brand to some copycat company.
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/17/nokia-licensing-its-iconic-brand/
  • Reply 20 of 61
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    So is Apple going to go thermonuclear on Nokia/Windows? You can't steal a design and be any more blatantly obvious than this..