Apple exec Eddy Cue goes on 'holiday shopping spree' to showcase Apple Pay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Does this mean ?Pay is subject to the same caps as other contact less payments (either £10 or £20 in the UK I think?). That kind of blows, I was hoping the extra security would get it past that.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Some people here are unable to see the benefits of privacy and security. Higher income shoppers are perhaps more likely to see those benefits, I am guessing.

In any event, it'll take at least a couple of years before ApplePay becomes a mature service. And that would still be an impressive timeline for an innovation in the payments business.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    That signature thing bugs me too. It's a rule that is meaningless when no physical signature cross check is required.

How does signing prevent fraud unless the cashier asks for ID that has been pre-signed (like the credit card itself)?

It has to be a rule that has not yet caught up with the technology. The fingerprint technology on the iPhone is a far better check than any signature (cross checked or not) could be.

Hopefully the rule makers will come to their senses and remove this step when a fingerprint iPhone is involved in the transaction.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

That signature thing bugs me too. It's a rule that is meaningless when no physical signature cross check is required.

How does signing prevent fraud unless the cashier asks for ID that has been pre-signed (like the credit card itself)?

It has to be a rule that has not yet caught up with the technology. The fingerprint technology on the iPhone is a far better check than any signature (cross checked or not) could be.

Hopefully the rule makers will come to their senses and remove this step when a fingerprint iPhone is involved in the transaction.

You're right. When was the last time the signature on those terminals actually looked anything like your signature? Most people just scrawl a few loops and lines and call it a signature. They are useless and even the people running the cash register just have to see an attempt. I bet an "X" would be acceptable. One step forward and two steps back. Just can't get some companies to break from tradition.

• Reply 25 of 36
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I purchased Applecare for two phones at the Santa Barbara Apple Store and didn't have to sign...

I wonder if certain merchants are making their own rules, and/or setting their own limits?

Besides, any receipt that the merchant should be able to produce should look pretty generic, given how ?Pay works.

There never is any logical reason for a signature in any of these cases anyway, at POS - if you're scamming this way,

you will be prepared to match fake signatures, and having you sign the back of your credit card?  

Great!  Why not just send out a copy of your sig to any- and everybody???  

If they have your card, a little practice obviates this as a 'security' check.

Now, later, in court, it might have relevance, IF any of these cases actually went that route.

BTW, that transaction has been, so far, my only opportunity to use ?Pay...

Perhaps I should try following Eddy around?

• Reply 26 of 36

I would really like to see Apple put in place a program to replace swipe-only terminals with Apple-branded RFID-capable devices at no charge to the merchant. I'm sure it won't take long for Apple to recoup the outlay and it would get a whole bunch of "Mom and Pop" stores off to a running start (like my local diner who are just not going to replace their swipe reader). A bold move indeed if those new readers were also not restricted to Apple-pay.

What a message that would send!

• Reply 27 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Love it. Showing an Apple product in use unlike the other companies that spout a feature list.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    I was delighted to see this segment when it aired yesterday. Cue must be making the rounds in other large markets also. Perhaps he'll show up in China ordering something at KFC with a reporter.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The dumb retailers always make it harder than it should be.

Soon you won't need to sign or press an extra button or call a manager....
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by happywaiman View Post

Why did he do the segment personally? Just give some money to some artists or TV studio to use Apple Pay to get the products of "product displacement" in videos.

If Beats has taught us anything, by next month we would see thousands of people reach their credit limit by tapping Apple Pay everywhere.

Top-level executives' direct involvement with their company's products means everything. It's the best kind of endorsement—much better than any paid talent.

• Reply 31 of 36
    danielsw wrote: »

Top-level executives' direct involvement with their company's products means everything. It's the best kind of endorsement—much better than any paid talent.

Next up, Tim Cook has dinner with Walt Mossberg at The Russian Tea Room, then they go to Macy's to buy stuffed animals. Then Craig Federighi gets a breakfast burrito at McDonald's with Brian Williams in Shanghai, followed by waterskiing on the Bund.
  • Reply 32 of 36

Having a customer sign is a CYA (cover your arse) rule by retailers and there seems to be widely accepted determinations when one is required. Most retailers around here (Pennsylvania) require a signature on purchases of more than $25. Some require it all the time. Some (like Apple) don't require it at all.  I think it's just a legal safeguard with no actual merit.

• Reply 33 of 36

On similar subject .... I have a dream ..... someday Eddy Cue walks to google headquarter .... grab his iPhone ... scan ... pay $$ ... and voila ... Apple owns Google.

Next day, Apple shuts down google once and for all!

Imagine dat! :smokey: 

• Reply 34 of 36
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

Didn't know you had to sign too. That's a bummer.

Generally you don't have to sign. But some merchants have a limit, just like with regular card pay.  I spent $60 at a Meijer, signature required. I bought over $100 gasoline at the same Meijer outside at a gas pump, no signature.   At a Walgreens, I spent $260 with no signature.  So It varies quite a bit.   

• Reply 35 of 36
    entropys wrote: »
    In Australia with tap to pay credit cards the limit is AUD$100 before you have to sign. I was hoping the Touch ID would negate this as let's face it it is more secure, so that is a bummer.

Actually since July pay wave / tap to pay up to $100, enter pin only over that, signatures almost a thing of the past (except when retailer has communications problem to bank, then defaults back to signature).
  • Reply 36 of 36

apple pay is the next paypal, and that is definitely not a compliment.