Nokia channels Apple's iPad mini with new N1 Android tablet for China

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Trade Dress infringement. These people are on drugs.
  • Reply 42 of 61

What the ... I'm at a loss for words. Seriously?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And of course they had to do a video a well:

Do watch it until the end – but don't be drinking anything at same time: I'm glad I wasn't, else it'd be all over my screen now. A strange hybrid of LOL and WTF?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But yeah, it's from Nokia, the makers of terrible ads:

Agreed. And: I actually liked Negative Nancy, being skeptical of what I thought to be the advertised product; expecting her to be convinced after all. Another WTF moment when I learned that this was supposed to be the competition's product (someone at Nokia actually knows how to make a fake tablet that does not look like an iPad), and Nancy showed off her shiny Nokia tablet... poor actress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

No need to get too angry on Nokia. It looks very much like iPad, but with a nice little touch of their own. Elegant and stylish. Well done.

Huh? Where? They must have worn latex gloves when they touched that iPad – they didn't leave any prints!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

I think though that it will not be a big hit. I expect it to be as laggy as other android devices, despite nice specs. For some reason it is hard for android makers to get tablets right. Happy with my Air 2, though battery life not what I expected...

Android is the reason.

• Reply 43 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nokia has no class.

This tablet will likely have excellent internals. Mediatek chipset, substandard NAND that begins degrading after six months, $.001 cent speakers, and a screen that brings new meaning to "not color accurate".

Based on what, every Nokia product I have owned lasted for years. My Nokia 2520 is still one of the best tablets that I own, the dispay is fantastic. This tablet only costs 250 so it won't contain the best of the best but fall apart after 6 months it won't.

Edit: After more research this actually looks like a pretty good tablet for the price, hopefully it will come to Swizerland. www.anandtech.com/show/8733/nokia-announces-n1-tablet-79-powered-by-android

• Reply 44 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jexus wrote: »
    I already posted Nokia's splash page for it earlier in the thread confirming it is a custom skin(Z launcher)
    I knew what the launcher (skin) was. The question was about what OS it was running on top of. I was surprised to a few minutes ago to read it's Android 5.0, Lollipop
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7239709/nokia-n1-tablet-price-release-date
  • Reply 45 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

So is Apple going to go thermonuclear on Nokia/Windows? You can't steal a design and be any more blatantly obvious than this..

Obviously it's nothing like an iPad Mini, the iPad has two rows of holes forming the speaker grilles, the Nokia has three.

/s

• Reply 46 of 61
    Hmmmm. It costs the same as the iPad mini.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

So is Apple going to go thermonuclear on Nokia/Windows? You can't steal a design and be any more blatantly obvious than this..

Nokia are now Samsung. 

That's what happens when judges don't do their job.

• Reply 48 of 61

Even the N1 product website looks terribly familiar. 

• Reply 49 of 61
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I knew what the launcher (skin) was. The question was about what OS it was running on top of. I was surprised to a few minutes ago to read it's Android 5.0, Lollipop

And now there's a Lollipop skin for the iPhone!

http://9to5mac.com/community/how-to-get-android-lollipop-iphone-6-plus-theme/
  • Reply 50 of 61

It looks like an iPad Mini and has very similar tech to an iPad Mini 2 & 3.

I would see a direct comparison being with the iPad Mini 2, yes there is more memory and slightly better cameras, but in general, it's an iPad Mini 2 in Nokia clothing.

I don't see a need for this tablet at this price.  It's only $50 cheaper than an iPad Mini 2, so why would anyone realistically go for this tablet than an iPad?

Maybe if you want an device that looks exactly like an iPad Mini, same screen, same GPU, but need (for some reason) for it to run Android as well as being $50 cheaper...then fine. ;)

• Reply 51 of 61
    According to the article somehow everyone has missed that MS bought out the rest of Nokia and not just the mobile division. When did this happen?
    I expect at least some level of accuracy from a simple article.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »

I've seen plenty of iPhone skins for Android, but this is the first time I've seen it the other way around.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Nokia are now Samsung. 

That's what happens when judges don't do their job.

Not following you, the judges did do their job, Apple lost their case with Nokia
  • Reply 54 of 61
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Lol, AI is trolling again.

This really looks to be Apple partner Foxconn's work, more than Nokia's.

https://gigaom.com/2014/11/18/non-microsoft-nokia-launches-android-n1-tablet-and-z-launcher/

If it weren't for the name Nokia, this tablet would otherwise have Foxconn on it.  If Nokia were behind this, they wouldn't need to license anything.

This

• Reply 55 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    philboogie wrote: »

Nice post thanks for the info, Philwholikestoboogie. I havn't seen you around in a while.

Though I think it's shameful that Nokia couldn't come up with their own design I quite like this tablet and will most defiantly be picking one up to replace my Kindle HDX. The battery is starting to deteriorate, I'm only getting 6 hours now when I used to get 9, 10 if I turned off Wifi, LTE, LTE and set the brightness too 50?. Understandably though, I use it every day all day and charge it at least twice.

Anyway the specs of the N1 are fantastic for the price, 250 dollars for 32GB, such a high resolution, 2GB of RAM, 6.9mm thickness, unmolested version of Android 5, the launcher is easily removed if I find I don't like it, I quite like the look of Android 5, especially on a display with a high resolution. This just might turn out to be the best Android tablet on the market, even if it isn't, 250 defiantly won't break the bank. Between this and the iPad Mini I would defiantly choose this, well that and I already have 3 iPad Air 2's, so I really don't need another one.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

.. paying royalties to Nokia for design ...

Shouldn't they pay Apple? o.O Even Samsung wouldn't copy Apple products so blatantly! 

• Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Lol, AI is trolling again.

This really looks to be Apple partner Foxconn's work, more than Nokia's.

https://gigaom.com/2014/11/18/non-microsoft-nokia-launches-android-n1-tablet-and-z-launcher/

If it weren't for the name Nokia, this tablet would otherwise have Foxconn on it.  If Nokia were behind this, they wouldn't need to license anything.

Maybe it is time Foxconn is slapped around I think....

• Reply 58 of 61
    relic wrote: »
    Nice post thanks for the info, Philwholikestoboogie. I havn't seen you around in a while.

Though I think it's shameful that Nokia couldn't come up with their own design I quite like this tablet and will most defiantly be picking one up to replace my Kindle HDX. The battery is starting to deteriorate, I'm only getting 6 hours now when I used to get 9, 10 if I turned off Wifi, LTE, LTE and set the brightness too 50?. Understandably though, I use it every day all day and charge it at least twice.

Anyway the specs of the N1 are fantastic for the price, 250 dollars for 32GB, such a high resolution, 2GB of RAM, 6.9mm thickness, unmolested version of Android 5, the launcher is easily removed if I find I don't like it, I quite like the look of Android 5, especially on a display with a high resolution. This just might turn out to be the best Android tablet on the market, even if it isn't, 250 defiantly won't break the bank. Between this and the iPad Mini I would defiantly choose this, well that and I already have 3 iPad Air 2's, so I really don't need another one.

Heee Relic, good to see you post! Yes I was 'away' from this site for a while, uncertain if I will keep on spending so much time here. There are better things to do for me. But I understand you visiting this site, talk about tech, while you have your own 'stuff to deal with'. How are you Relic? PM me if it's too personal, or just not something for a tech thread like this one. Hope you are well, sending CARING bits over the superhighway to you.

I was actually following you, and therefore getting emails right after you post something. That broke, so I don't know if you were away as well, or if I missed out on many of your excellent, witty, cute and informative posts, objectively written without a preference for one brand over another.

Anyhoo, this Nokia tablet does seem like an excellent product, but since I already have an iPad I don't see the need for a smaller tablet. You as 'the Swiss gadget woman' should get one, obviously. I still can't believe there isn't a Music app available that lets you do what you want, but need 3 iPads instead.

As for the dying Kindle battery, that happens to all batteries, and charging it twice a day will cut into its lifetime.

Take care.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Nokia channels Apple's iPad mini with new N1 Android tablet for China

Is that correct or is that a typo and is meant to say...Challenges.

• Reply 60 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Is that correct or is that a typo and is meant to say...Challenges.

It's correct. The word is seldom used by this definition.

channels:
    (verb)
    to emulate or seem to be inspired by.