Adobe announces Lightroom 5.7 with new Aperture and iPhoto importer tool, Black Friday subscription

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2014
Adobe late Tuesday released an update to its Lightroom image processing and management software that includes a new tool for importing photos from Apple's iPhoto or Aperture, both of which will be discontinued in favor of a unified OS X Photos app in 2015.

The latest Lightroom version 5.7 appears to bundle in an importer tool Adobe first offered last month as a plug-in designed to ease the transition for customers currently using Apple's pro and consumer level editing apps. Apple will introduce OS X Photos as a hybrid prosumer app for OS X Yosemite next year.

Along with the importer tool, Lightroom 5.7 adds the ability to view comments and feedback from shared collections on Lightroom web.

Adobe also announced Adobe Camera Raw 8.7, bringing enhancements to batch processing speed when working with the "Save" button and converting images to DNG using DNG Converter. In addition, ACR now supports HiDPI displays for Windows, an option available under the "Experimental Features" menu.

A total of 24 new cameras have been added to ACR's list of supported RAW file formats, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Nikon D750, and Sony ILCE-5100.

ACR 8.7 also fixes a few bugs discovered in the previous release, including an issue that caused the app to crash when rapidly applying the Spot Removal tool. Another bug squashed prevented the Filter Brush cursor from displaying in certain circumstances. Finally, Camera Matching color profiles have been fixed for the Nikon D810.

As always, Lightroom 5.7 is a free update for existing Lightroom 5 users, while Camera Raw 8.7 is free for Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6 customers. New customers can download Lightroom as a 30-day free trial, or as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud subscriptions that start at $9.99 per month for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which comes with Photoshop, Lightroom mobile and more.

Adobe is also running a Black Friday promotion for Creative Cloud Complete, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, access to Adobe's cloud, the ProSite portfolio website, Typekit desktop and web fonts and 20 GB of cloud storage for $39.99 per month or $15.99 per month for students and teachers. The promotional period ends Nov. 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    1) I wonder if LR is still clunky, designed way differently than other Mac software, or if it has matured and now is up to snuff.

2) before the thread is flooded with "No subscription software ever" comments, we can still buy a boxed version:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Mac-PC/dp/B00CLD7Y4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1416385619&sr=1-1&keywords=adobe+lightroom

3) fortunately Apple isn't going to disable iPhoto nor Aperture when they release the Photos app next year, so no need to rush things
  • Reply 2 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »
    1) I wonder if LR is still clunky, designed way differently than other Mac software, or if it has matured and now is up to snuff.

2) before the thread is flooded with "No subscription software ever" comments, we can still buy a boxed version:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Mac-PC/dp/B00CLD7Y4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1416385619&sr=1-1&keywords=adobe+lightroom

3) fortunately Apple isn't going to disable iPhoto nor Aperture when they release the Photos app next year, so no need to rush things
    [/quote]

You do realize what happened to the dinosaurs, right?

I love how Adobe is proving all you reactionaries wrong.

I also love how we subscribers get Abobe's great new updates.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, still, no subscription model ever, but Apple doesn't help us here by removing Pro tools. Do they think that App Store competition like Pixelmator or Sketch can mature fast enough to avoid CC being the only option on Mac, which for some people means a switch to the PC and its arguably better array of options?

• Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You do realize what happened to the dinosaurs, right?

I love how Adobe is proving all you reactionaries wrong.

I also love how we subscribers get Abobe's great new updates.

Dinosaurs subscribed to AdobeCC? well, that sure explains things.

How Adobe is proving anyone wrong? What I see is a company that runs "temporary special price" year-long since CC came out. Tells about how "wrong" people are.

As for "great updates". Please. Gimme break. CSn used to have those updates until CSn+2, and it was LESS expensive overall.

• Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Dinosaurs subscribed to AdobeCC? well, that sure explains things.

How Adobe is proving anyone wrong? What I see is a company that runs "temporary special price" year-long since CC came out. Tells about how "wrong" people are.

As for "great updates". Please. Gimme break. CSn used to have those updates until CSn+2, and it was LESS expensive overall.

Way to twist my words, pal.

Adobe CC's been happening for years now, and we're quite happy with it.

No breaks for you people. Quit your whining and move on.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Well, still, no subscription model ever, but Apple doesn't help us here by removing Pro tools. Do they think that App Store competition like Pixelmator or Sketch can mature fast enough to avoid CC being the only option on Mac, which for some people means a switch to the PC and its arguably better array of options?

"Help us, help us, help us! We're poor little lambs who have lost our way, bah, bah bah!!!"  Hahahahahah.

• Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:

"Whining"? Surely you meant "disagreeing and expressing this with my wallet".

As long as Adobe will push this ridiculous agenda of theirs, I'll be using their former products, or when technically required, the competition. CC will NOT have me as a customer if there is an option.

Whining is uselessly complaining. I'm not doing that, I'm boycotting and saying so. Whining fails, boycotts hurt the bottomline of companies.

As long as customers will have a choice, no breaks for fanboys like you, I guess.

• Reply 8 of 53
    Oh my, I thought I pop back in to answer both your questions, but I see it's being 'dealt' with already. Well, "peace out" gentlemen.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

"Help us, help us, help us! We're poor little lambs who have lost our way, bah, bah bah!!!"  Hahahahahah.

Discovering capitalism, it seems? Welcome to the West, Comrade Danielski.

• Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Oh my, I thought I pop back in to answer both your questions, but I see it's being 'dealt' with already. Well, "peace out" gentlemen.

Nah, don't ruin the fun with intelligence please Phil ^^

• Reply 11 of 53
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I don't really understand the outrage over Abode's subscription model. Photoshop + Lightroom is about £8 a month; pocket change compared to the cost of the a decent DSLR setup.

Having said that, I'm happy to keep using my boxed copy for a while longer!

• Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't really understand the outrage over Abode's subscription model. Photoshop + Lightroom is about £8 a month; pocket change compared to the cost of the a decent DSLR setup.

Having said that, I'm happy to keep using my boxed copy for a while longer!

We use multiple copies of CS6, which means Ai/Ps daily and occasionally InDesign, and UE4. The cost savings of staying on CS6 means we have been able to invest in Mac Pro instead of PC, at no loss of efficiency for our flow.

• Reply 13 of 53
    Hey Adobe, I don't care what you do... as long as you keep feeding us crappy software like Flash, I refuse to buy your company products. I have faith that Apple will create a great photo application. Until then, I will continue using Aperture. If Apple does not come out with a great product, then I will look elsewhere for my photo application. So Adobe, let me know when hell freezes over and I'll consider your application.

Every day, I have to put up with that flash player crap when I view items on the web and it reminds me each and every day why I will not purchase an Adobe product.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Thanks for the comments Phil, as always, pertinent and useful.

On a related subject (IMO) ..The Beta Photo App

I spent quite a while testing out the beta Photo in iCloud and found some interesting stuff over the weekend.

It doesn't use up additional space on the boot volume even if the data is on an external drive. It isn't uploading images by using the usual share option, you launch the app from within the selection of apps on the iCloud and then select 'Upload. You can select any source and one is a new 'Media' icon which presents both iPhoto and Aperture Libraries. I have many of the latter and there is no way to select a different one from this Media icon, however it defaults to whatever Library you have open. I didn't try to see if i could open by navigation to a Library directly (having only just thought of that! lol). Images are not removed if the original source is off line.

The biggest surprise was it managed to geo tag hundreds of RAW images taken on a Canon 70D that has no GPS! Note they are not retained as RAW sadly, they are converted to jpeg, (by the sending Mac I think, not the server end.)

How it geo tags my non GPS tagged images is a mystery to me. I can only guess that Photo is using images taken on iPhone 5s at the same time as its basis for the guessing. If it wasn't that I am at a loss to know how it did it. It was quite a shock to see a whole bunch of my Canon's pictures grouped by what glacier (by name) I was photographing. This is a weird, because if it was related to iPhone GPS data it is a good job I was using the iPhone at the same location as my camera! So far there are no settings / options I have found relating to this.

The other thing I noticed was the 3000 limit was far surpassed but I was uploading from several Macs and wonder if this is a a beta glitch or perhaps the 3000 images is on a per device basis.
  • Reply 15 of 53

I am sorry to say that LR is still clunky. It's UI is all over the place, and don't even get me started about its library tools. I am a pro retoucher and digital studio manager, so it's not like I am an Adobe hater. I generally love their software and use it all day. However, LR I don't like. I think Aperture is much better, but it was really abandoned several years back by Apple. The discontinuation announcement this year was just a belated acknowledgement of that fact. As much as I like Aperture, it's feature set has gotten way behind LR. I am waiting to see what the new Photos app will look like before I make a final decision on how to move forward. I'm getting to the point where Bridge seems like a pretty good option, or maybe Capture One Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 53

Just out of interest, do we know that the boxed version is updates as another 'boxed' version?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    firelock wrote: »
    I am sorry to say that LR is still clunky. It's UI is all over the place, and don't even get me started about its library tools. I am a pro retoucher and digital studio manager, so it's not like I am an Adobe hater. I generally love their software and use it all day. However, LR I don't like. I think Aperture is much better, but it was really abandoned several years back by Apple. The discontinuation announcement this year was just a belated acknowledgement of that fact. As much as I like Aperture, it's feature set has gotten way behind LR. I am waiting to see what the new Photos app will look like before I make a final decision on how to move forward. I'm getting to the point where Bridge seems like a pretty good option, or maybe Capture One Pro.

I must say I am in your camp on this. Like you I find LR an awful workflow and interface. I use several Adobe apps daily so no hater either although I despise Adobe's attitude to Mac users over the years, and I've been a user going back to the 1980's when they were Apple only. I have played with Capture One Pro demo but don't feel it is a good management tool either. I feel somewhat like I am waiting for the bus that never comes when it comes to a solution for massive photo libraries these days, not to mention good online RAW and HD/4K video back up solutions. I have built my own now using my own Co Lo Unix server running Apache and Transmit as the transfer tool via an upgraded Fiber Optic from FiOS (75/50), until I see a better solution.
  • Reply 18 of 53

It's an Adobe product, how would it not be clunky? Everything they make is garbage.

• Reply 19 of 53
    It's an Adobe product, how would it not be clunky? Everything they make is garbage.

Not to mention the unbelievable lack of consistency even across their own horrible interfaces.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Keep in mind the marvelous advantages the Creative Cloud offers to working professionals.

The old sales model forced software companies to hold back new features. An enhancement might be up and running in January, but it had to be held back until December to give users a good reason to buy the expensive, full-digit upgrade. And a new feature that wasn't quite ready for the release date either shipped buggy or was delayed by a year or more.

The new subscription model encourages software companies to release a continuous series of updates to keep monthly subscribers happy. A new feature ready to go in January comes out in early February. When you're working for yourself, an employer, or paying clients, getting that new feature now rather than up to 18 months in the future easily repays the cost of the subscription.

I might add that I've found another plus. Under the 'heavily loaded with new features' sales model, too much that was new came out at once, so much so that I often didn't have the time to learn some of the new features. With new features now coming out in smaller quantities every two or three months, I have the time to learn them.

It's like the difference between drinking from a garden hose and drinking from a fire hose. I prefer the garden hose.