Google launches first 64-bit Chrome Web browser for OS X

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    I run Chrome (well, Chromium) on my Linux partition, but Safari on the Mac. The Yosemite Safari is quite a bit faster than Mavericks. If you do a lot of web browsing it's almost worth the OS upgrade just for the new browser.

  • Reply 22 of 88
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

    Somehow related:

     

    The app that got banned from the Google Play store because it protected the user against hackers and trackers.

     

    The same app got accepted by the Apple App store. It shows how much Apple cares about privacy.

     

    Interesting fact: the banned app was developed by an ex Google employee who was involved in developing Doubleclick.

  • Reply 23 of 88
    Whenever I use Chrome, the fans on my 2014 MacBook Pro go crazy!
  • Reply 24 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    Now that it's 64-bit, I wonder if they will put it on the Mac App Store?

  • Reply 25 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    mr o wrote: »
    Somehow related:

    The app that got banned from the Google Play store because it protected the user against hackers and trackers.

    The same app got accepted by the Apple App store. It shows how much Apple cares about privacy.

    Interesting fact: the banned app was developed by an ex Google employee who was involved in developing Doubleclick.
    There's a lot of similar VPN-type apps available on Google Play that also block 3rd party tracking.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.freedome.vpn.security.privacy.android&hl=en
    While the developer may be entirely correct as to the specific reasons Google won't approve his app it could well be for some other detail instead since other apps have been approved that offer most if not all of the same features. Apple will sometimes turn down app for vague reasons yet have a change of heart later and give them the OK. Google may do the same as long as the developer answers their concerns.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,278member
    revenant wrote: »
    my wife used to love this browser and installed it on my mac. but on my web traffic app i noticed that it was always trying to send stuff to google. even with the app off it wanted to send stuff out. thanks but no.
    The IT department at the hospital I work for showed me that. Chrome installs a server that's running in the background. It's banded but earlier this year Google made it difficult to block downloads without locking out most of the Internet from employees.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,525member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

     



    No, not claiming it crashes for everyone. Please re-read my initial response; I make no such claim.

     




    Yes you did when you made the remark about the ‘hasty update.’ When is that update coming by the way? You know, the one that will fix all that crashing you experienced.

  • Reply 28 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    revenant wrote: »
    my wife used to love this browser and installed it on my mac. but on my web traffic app i noticed that it was always trying to send stuff to google. even with the app off it wanted to send stuff out. thanks but no.
    genovelle wrote: »
    The IT department at the hospital I work for showed me that. Chrome installs a server that's running in the background. It's banded but earlier this year Google made it difficult to block downloads without locking out most of the Internet from employees.
    Of course it communicates with Google. Here's why:
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/
  • Reply 29 of 88
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    Is there a reason it took so long? I can understand Adobe and MS taking years to update their complex Mac apps but Google and web browser taking 8 years since Apple started making the switch seems excessive.



    I don't know about Chrome's excuse since it's a relatively new app, but for an older app I work on, there are a ton of things in the OS X SDK that aren't available for 64-bit (and the replacement functionality is non-trivial to port your app to).

     

    One example is advanced text layout: some things you could do with ATSUI aren't easy to recreate with CoreText.  And users tend to get angry if you break the text layouts they've spent a lot of time on.  This is something I'm sure Adobe struggled with (and no, I don't work for Adobe).

  • Reply 30 of 88
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,278member
    gatorguy wrote: »

    Of course it communicates with Google. Here's why:
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/

    An article from 2008? Google is the same company that hacked safari to track people who blocked tracking. It took losing a lawsuit for them to admit it. There is no reason to have an independent server run in the background for a web browser. The browser can request this without such. If it's just text as suggested, it would take a fraction of a second with the speed of connections today. This can be done as it opens. It's interesting that other browsers that offer the same features your article claims don't have these servers. The system monitor my IT guy showed me before removing it had data streams going both ways. Maybe it was the Trojan Horse of sorts. I don't know, but they remove it because the server interferes with the company servers and puts them at risk for HIPPA violations.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    genovelle wrote: »
    The system monitor my IT guy showed me before removing it had data streams going both ways. Maybe it was the Trojan Horse of sorts. I don't know, but they remove it because the server interferes with the company servers and puts them at risk for HIPPA violations.
    You and I have had this exact same discussion before IIRC. No, using Chrome as the browser does not put your company at risk for HIPPA violations anymore than using Apple and its servers and cloud services. It's simply BS.

    Tell your "IT friend" to visit this webpage for advice on Chrome background services, extensions and how to adjust or disable them.
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1184722?hl=en
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    What's your methodology?



    I ran SunSpider 1.0.2, which shows 168.6ms for Google Chrome 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit) and 157.3ms for Safari 8.0 (10600.1.25.1). Oddly, Sunspider took about 20x as long to finish the test even though the results show Safari was faster. I have no idea why, except to say it's because of non-JS code not performing properly on Safari.



    Browser mark has a score of 6677 for Google Chrome 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit) and a score of 6677 for Safari 8.0 (10600.1.25.1). Again, Chrome seemed to complete much faster than Safari but not by a factor of 20 to 1.



    Both apps opened up and to the same page in about two Mississippi's.



    make sure you're turning off all extensions (adblock and ghostery for me generate the the slowdown symptoms in safari, by a massive memory 'leak' while running and it ends up in Page Fault Hell). Chrome doesn't show the major impact by the extensions.

     

     

    I just ran sun spider on both just now on my 2010 mac mini 10.10.1 8GB

    (first number was chrome 39)


    ===============================================================================

    ** TOTAL **: - 406.4ms +/- 6.7% 394.6ms +/- 9.3%

    ===============================================================================

     

    Chrome and Safari ran in similar wall clock times, although I would say Chrome was a bit faster (3 to 4 seconds faster YMMV)

  • Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

     

     

    The last remaining 32 bit browser. They even dropped the official 64 bit builds. Amazing how they can go from the best browser, to further behind the times than Internet Explorer.


     

     

    Was this in reference to Firefox?  Because Firefox has been 64-bit on Mac for quite a while now.  (It's still 32-bit on Windows, but that's a different animal.  Most apps are still 32-bit on Windows).

  • Reply 34 of 88
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,278member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You and I have had this exact same discussion before IIRC. No, using Chrome as the browser does not put your company at risk for HIPPA violations anymore than using Apple and its servers and cloud services. It's simply BS.

    Tell your "IT friend" to visit this webpage for advice on Chrome background services, extensions and how to adjust or disable them.
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1184722?hl=en

    It's not a friend I don't know them from adam. It is a policy. And for your information icloud services are blocked frim our servers as was Chrome until like a hacker they modified their code to make it nearly impossible to block. We had a period after this change that almost everything online was blocked and only recently I discovered this was why. They just relented and now constantly reimage the computers until they move to a new system all together. Most systems are run from a server. It really doesn't matter what you claim, allowing another server outside of your contol to process and communicate to the outside is a huge breech of security and HIPPA! I hope Google pays you well for your undying support, but you shallow attempts to make this ok is not working.

    And the problem is they shouldn't have to hunt down which computers chrome is breaching because an employee downloaded this garbage onto our network. They found it on my unit because of server interference causing a laundry list of issues on computers where this is running, like printing gibberish. There are nearly a thousand computers across several facilities and each may have 20 or more users in a single day. They have had to remove this mess 4 times in the last 6 months just from my computer. That I know of. I'm only there 3 days a week. It's a real problem.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

     

    Not that I really care, Chrome is definitely not my primary browser. I mostly use it when I encounter some website that has Flash content. (The Adobe Flash Player browser plug-in is banned in my house.)

     


     

    Same policy here, too.  As a matter of fact, I don't allow ANY plugins (I delete everything in the 'Internet Plugins' folder, including Quicktime, Quartz, etc). 

     

    Chrome only gets launched on those increasingly rare times that some site requires Flash.

  • Reply 36 of 88
    [@]PhilBoogie[/@] or anyone else outside the US, are you familiar counting by Mississippi's? What other stand-in counting terms did forum members learn growing up to maintain a fairly accurate spoken second count?

    [LIST]
    [*] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Words_used_as_placeholders_to_count_seconds
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 37 of 88
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [@]PhilBoogie[/@] or anyone else outside the US, are you familiar counting by Mississippi's? What other stand-in counting terms did forum members learn growing up to maintain a fairly accurate spoken second count?

    That is one funny -and informative!- post.

    Us Dutchies are very basic people: we simply count by spelling the words out, as in één-en-twintig for 21 and continue from thereon.

    tnx!
  • Reply 38 of 88
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [@]PhilBoogie[/@] or anyone else outside the US, are you familiar counting by Mississippi's? What other stand-in counting terms did forum members learn growing up to maintain a fairly accurate spoken second count?

    I've grown partial to my son's version 'myth-if-ippi'. :lol:
  • Reply 39 of 88
    philboogie wrote: »
    That is one funny -and informative!- post.

    Us Dutchies are very basic people: we simply count by spelling the words out, as in één-en-twintig for 21 and continue from thereon.

    tnx!

    You and the Germans can do that because your average word has 42 syllables in it.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You and the Germans can do that because your average word has 42 syllables in it.

    Ha! Guilty, though I'd say the Germans are way worse than their western neighbourghs. Perhaps [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] can chime in.

    That's another thing with Americans that I love: you guys simply take a word and can 'verb it'. I'm sure there are many more examples, can't think of them right now, but the moment you hear something that may sound strange to me, you'll immediately get it. "Indian giver" was one that pops up now, though unrelated to my example of verbalising something.

    I also like to 'get black' sometimes, simply using poor grammar, like "I ain't" and "she don't". In short, I really like the American language, though I love the pronunciation of the 'proper English' language.

    Edit: my mention of 'getting black' turns out to not really being that: I just watched another episode of Hell On Wheels and it looks like I just have a thing for Southern old school language.
Sign In or Register to comment.