Apple to offer automated iAds, catching up with rival mobile advertisers

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Apple's continuously evolving iAds network is expected to soon begin offering automated, "programmatic" advertising for the first time, offering a feature that has become popular on rival networks.

Automated advertising company Rubicon Project issued a press release this week revealing that it was partnering with Apple to bring the feature to iAds. Though the statement was quickly pulled from the Web, a cache of it was spotted by Business Insider.

In the press release, Rubicon Project said Apple has selected it for its adoption of automated advertising for iAd's 250,000-plus mobile developers. The company's direct order automation platform will form an open marketplace for the buying and selling of iAd inventory, making it easy for advertisers to buy audiences via Rubicon Project's global exchange.

"We're thrilled to have been chosen by Apple to help bring automation to iAd's direct order business and to provide access to premium mobile buyers from around the world," Greg Raifman, president of Rubicon Project, said in the now-unavailable press release. "We look forward to providing buyers with access to the unprecedented audience targeting capabilities iAd brings to automated advertising."

Until now, iAd buys have been done directly through Apple's sales team. But programmatic buying would enable advertisers to bid on placements through auctions, a process that has proven popular through other online advertising networks.

Apple has been gradually expanding its iAd service since it first launched in 2010, adding features, expanding availability, and lowering buy-in prices for advertisers. The company has been making efforts to tie it in to other services on the iPhone as well, such as allowing advertisers to include "Add to Passbook" buttons for coupons, and is said to be planning Apple Pay support.

In the four years since it was introduced by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, iAd has failed to live up to initial expectations. As a result, the company has gradually made changes to cater to advertisers in hopes of growing its network, though Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook recently referred to iAd as a "very small part" of his company's business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39

I don't see iAd ever being a serious success, because Apple isn't a scummy enough company for it to be so. Google's spoiled Madison Avenue, they get so much dirt from them that an upstanding company like Apple can't compete.

• Reply 2 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I can't tell you how excited to see automated ads....

/s

• Reply 3 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't see iAd ever being a serious success, because Apple isn't a scummy enough company for it to be so. Google's spoiled Madison Avenue, they get so much dirt from them that an upstanding company like Apple can't compete.

Yeah I don't see it being widely successful either. I think its not really right now. I'm not even sure it makes Apple any money. I guess its kind of a necessary evil so developers can make free apps and still make something off it to make it worth their time and money to create and support the app. 

• Reply 4 of 39

Rubicon Project's IPO was back in April at $20.00.

As of this post they are at $13.71 up $0.87 (6.78%) on the day.

Might be a buy?

• Reply 5 of 39
    Apple should open this up to websites. Like Google adsense. Even if it was paid in iTunes store credits or Apple Store gift cards many folks would go for it. Especially if there was more control over the type of ads. My sister has a blog about Disney and she put up ads just to cover her domain fees etc and she's constantly getting ads for adult diapers, condoms, ED drugs, gentle and clubs etc. on a site meant to be teen friendly.she has to go in and block the URL cause google doesn't give an option to block whole groups of stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah I don't see it being widely successful either. I think its not really right now. I'm not even sure it makes Apple any money. I guess its kind of a necessary evil so developers can make free apps and still make something off it to make it worth their time and money to create and support the app. 

When Steve Jobs announced iAd, he said it was created to help make developers money, so you're probably right.  But that's not to say it can never make money for Apple.  Areas like TV, music, and retail are areas where Apple can expand iAds.

• Reply 7 of 39

Another exciting discussion about ads. Life is wonderful.:p

• Reply 8 of 39
    Its good to see iAds hasn't gone the way of Ping, yet
  • Reply 9 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple should open this up to websites. Like Google adsense. Even if it was paid in iTunes store credits or Apple Store gift cards many folks would go for it. Especially if there was more control over the type of ads. My sister has a blog about Disney and she put up ads just to cover her domain fees etc and she's constantly getting ads for adult diapers, condoms, ED drugs, gentle and clubs etc. on a site meant to be teen friendly.she has to go in and block the URL cause google doesn't give an option to block whole groups of stuff.

Good idea. I wanna see iAds take money from that scum company. Hit em where it hurts!!
  • Reply 10 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cali wrote: »
    Good idea. I wanna see iAds take money from that scum company. Hit em where it hurts!!

I thought Google was considered a 'scummy company" BECAUSE they delivered targeted ads for their customers the advertisers? :\ You know, the ol "you're the product" meme?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought Google was considered a 'scummy company" BECAUSE they delivered targeted ads for their customers the advertisers? image You know, the ol "you're the product" meme?

They don't describe the targeting here. Targeting could be "in a car related app, show ads for car parts", not "We scanned Billy's emails and he's been looking for cookie recipes, show him ads for cookbooks."

One is far more invasive than the other.

• Reply 12 of 39
    techlover wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]Rubicon Project's IPO was back in April at $20.00.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]As of this post they are at $13.71 up $<span id="user_ref_325248909559296_c" style="white-space:nowrap;">0.87</span>
    <span style="white-space:nowrap;"> </span>
    <span id="user_ref_325248909559296_cp" style="white-space:nowrap;">(6.78%) on the day.</span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]<span style="white-space:nowrap;">Might be a buy?</span>
    [/SIZE]

I've never bought into the notion of buying Apple supplier stocks. Apple could choose to dump any supplier at any time for any reason.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

They don't describe the targeting here. Targeting could be "in a car related app, show ads for car parts",
    Sure it COULD be. What you describe isn't targeting tho, unless you consider auto part advertisements in Car and Driver as targeted ads.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Apple is not tracking their users for the benefit of advertisers. Thay have you profiled for income, type of work you do, married or not. Whether you have children and the age ranges if you do. the types of app you like, the time you spend with each to extrapolate your interests. In fact Apple says they have enough data on their users to deliver over 400 unique customer types to advertisers. Note too thats only 135 of those are specific to iTunes data which means most categories include user demographics not directly tied to ITunes/App Store usage. Sounds pretty inclusive and granular.

The one thing that Apple doesn't do AFAIK, which they promote as protecting users privacy, is share specific location with advertisers. But here's the trick for that. An iBeacon network, coupled with ApplePay. If you aren't looking at the big picture you miss the story going on right in front of you and in plain view.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    My sister has a blog about Disney and she put up ads just to cover her domain fees etc and she's constantly getting ads for adult diapers, condoms, ED drugs, gentle and clubs etc. on a site meant to be teen friendly...

I don't know...sounds pretty "teen friendly" to me. :smokey:
  • Reply 15 of 39
    ...she's constantly getting ads for adult diapers, condoms, ED drugs, gentle and clubs etc.
    I can see the ED tie in though..."Why settle for It's a Small World when what you really desire is the Matterhorn, after that get ready for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!"
  • Reply 16 of 39
    gatorguy wrote: »
    cali wrote: »

I thought Google was considered a 'scummy company" BECAUSE they delivered targeted ads for their customers the advertisers? :\ You know, the ol "you're the product" meme?

Speaking of "ol'Scummy, this site used to get more then it's share of Samscum ads.... talk about wasted ad money...of course, Samscum really believes Apple users secretly LUST after Galaxy garbage..
  • Reply 17 of 39
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Good move, seems that's been the missing link for iAds, so good to see it added here.

Now hit those suckers with a great search engine too that you 'll hand over to MS, Apple! That's what the go lang spider bot is signalling for me...

• Reply 18 of 39
    Whoa, I read "automated Aids" at first... whew.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    techlover wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]Rubicon Project's IPO was back in April at $20.00.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]As of this post they are at $13.71 up $<span id="user_ref_325248909559296_c" style="white-space:nowrap;">0.87</span>
    <span style="white-space:nowrap;"> </span>
    <span id="user_ref_325248909559296_cp" style="white-space:nowrap;">(6.78%) on the day.</span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]<span style="white-space:nowrap;">Might be a buy?</span>
    [/SIZE]

I've never bought into the notion of buying Apple supplier stocks. Apple could choose to dump any supplier at any time for any reason.
    Just ask sog
  • Reply 20 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

She is lucky big guys from Disney haven't come knocking. They are notorious at brutally stopping anything containing anything 'Disney' that others use to profit from.