Google launches first 64-bit Chrome Web browser for OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    konqerror wrote: »
    The last remaining 32 bit browser. They even dropped the official 64 bit builds. Amazing how they can go from the best browser, to further behind the times than Internet Explorer.
    Despite being 32-bit, it's the only third-party browser I trust on a Mac outside of Safari. I don't trust ANY of Google's services and products, and because EVERY machine (both Mac and Windows) at work I've looked at that had viruses got them from Chrome, I delete that SOB the moment I find it.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    revenant wrote: »
    my wife used to love this browser and installed it on my mac. but on my web traffic app i noticed that it was always trying to send stuff to google. even with the app off it wanted to send stuff out. thanks but no.
    Another reason I don't use Google shite of any kind, I don't want their crap phoning home to give them more info to market me off to their clients!
  • Reply 43 of 88
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google on Tuesday released Chrome 39, the first stable version of its Web browser to offer 64-bit support for Apple's OS X operating system.

Who cares? It’s spyware from one of the world’s most evil companies that still runs original WebKit.

• Reply 44 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ha! Guilty, though I'd say the Germans are way worse than their western neighbourghs. Perhaps @ThePixelDoc can chime in.

That's another thing with Americans that I love: you guys simply take a word and can 'verb it'. I'm sure there are many more examples, can't think of them right now, but the moment you hear something that may sound strange to me, you'll immediately get it. "Indian giver" was one that pops up now, though unrelated to my example of verbalising something.

I also like to 'get black' sometimes, simply using poor grammar, like "I ain't" and "she don't". In short, I really like the American language, though I love the pronunciation of the 'proper English' language.

Edit: my mention of 'getting black' turns out to not really being that: I just watched another episode of Hell On Wheels and it looks like I just have a thing for Southern old school language.

Hey, guard your tongue ;-) ! In this case, we do the same as you Western neighbours, just count the twenties: einundzwanzig, zweiundzwanzig etc.

If you're looking for some amalgamation of US and British English, try Canada: I just loved words like tire centre [sic!] vs. tire centre or tyre centre. Same mixture in the pronunciation often...

• Reply 45 of 88
    philotech wrote: »
    Hey, guard your tongue ;-) ! In this case, we do the same as you Western neighbours, just count the twenties: einundzwanzig, zweiundzwanzig etc.
    If you're looking for some amalgamation of US and British English, try Canada: I just loved words like tire centre [sic!] vs. tire centre or tyre centre. Same mixture in the pronunciation often...

So guarded!

Never been to Canada, yet, so would love to get first hand experience on tyre centre pronunciation. Amongst others.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Despite being 32-bit, it's the only third-party browser I trust on a Mac outside of Safari. I don't trust ANY of Google's services and products, and because EVERY machine (both Mac and Windows) at work I've looked at that had viruses got them from Chrome, I delete that SOB the moment I find it.

Uh, Okaaay then ... Mac viruses from Google Chrome. Gotcha. :no:

FWIW recent independent research shows Google Chrome successfully blocking 70% of socially-engineered malware, stuff that a computer user is tricked into downloading while browsing the Web or via a malicious email link or IM. How does Safari do with that same malware? It blocked less than 5%.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Uh, Okaaay then ... Mac viruses from Google Chrome. Gotcha. :no:

FWIW recent independent research shows Google Chrome successfully blocking 70% of socially-engineered malware, stuff that a computer user is tricked into downloading while browsing the Web or via a malicious email link or IM. How does Safari do with that same malware? It blocked less than 5%.
    ROTFL!!!

OK pal, pretty much everyone here knows you're a Google fan and supporter. You might wanna try that drivel on the countless users at work who've had to deal with Chrome's non-existant malware blocking... ALL the machines who've had malicious code on them, originated and launched out of Chrome's caches... If it's so good, shouldn't it have blocked all that crap?

Yeah, I don't think you'd get a kinder response out of the victims I've had to rescue from Chrome on both Windows and Mac.

Now go away.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    ROTFL!!!

OK pal, pretty much everyone here knows you're a Google fan and supporter. You might wanna try that drivel on the countless users at work who've had to deal with Chrome's non-existant malware blocking... ALL the machines who've had malicious code on them, originated and launched out of Chrome's caches... If it's so good, shouldn't it have blocked all that crap?

Yeah, I don't think you'd get a kinder response out of the victims I've had to rescue from Chrome on both Windows and Mac.

Now go away.

As soon as you claimed there are Mac viruses, whether from Chrome or not, I knew you were "embellishing" to put it kindly.
  • Reply 49 of 88

Source?
  • Reply 51 of 88
    As soon as you claimed there are Mac viruses, whether from Chrome or not, I knew you were "embellishing" to put it kindly.
    Which goes to show you don't know jack, because there are, and I've had the misfortune of having to clean them off Mac's here.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I am very much an Apple enthusiast, so this is not me trying to bash the OS X platform, simply stating a fact.

Now again, go away.
  • Reply 52 of 88

1) Note that Internet Explorer scored a 99.9% in their testing. I think that's worth noting for their methodology.

2) Also note they are using Safari version 5.1.7 from 2009 and Google Chrome version 33.0.1750 from February of this year. You can't come to a Mac-heavy site to use a Windows-only test that that specifically uses a version of Safari that hasn't been updated in a half a decade. If the attacks are purely at the browser from the internet they should be able to test for all browsers on all OSes.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Which goes to show you don't know jack, because there are, and I've had the misfortune of having to clean them off Mac's here.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I am very much an Apple enthusiast, so this is not me trying to bash the OS X platform, simply stating a fact.

Now again, go away.
    Apple says, and I quote:
    "no viruses that can attack OS X have so far been detected 'in the wild', i.e. in anything other than laboratory conditions".

So Apple is lying then. Gotcha Apple enthusiast..
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Apple says, and I quote:
    "no viruses that can attack OS X have so far been detected 'in the wild', i.e. in anything other than laboratory conditions".

So Apple is lying then. Gotcha Apple enthusiast..
    Apple has a vested interest in trying to keep the perception of there being potential of viruses on the platform to a minimum. Ask anyone who deals in IT on Mac's with a broad range of users on a daily basis and they'll tell you there ARE viruses for OS X.

You're just being naive to think a computer system, of any type or platform, cannot fall victim to a virus.

Got anything else you want to add to the heap of your embarrassing comments? I see you also like to post Windows browser tests to try and backup your claim on a Mac topic, how quaint...
  • Reply 55 of 88
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Note that Internet Explorer scored a 99.9% in their testing. I think that's worth noting for their methodology.

2) Also note they are using Safari version 5.1.7 from 2009 and Google Chrome version 33.0.1750 from February of this year. You can't come to a Mac-heavy site to use a Windows-only test that that specifically uses a version of Safari that hasn't been updated in a half a decade. If the attacks are purely at the browser from the internet they should be able to test for all browsers on all OSes.

Our Windows boxes (mostly 7's with a sprinkle of 8.1's) at work are mostly running IE 10 now, as 11 is causing compatibility issues with some of our intranet pages and software, so the 11 rollout is happening next year. We've had far fewer problems with IE than Chrome on those machines.

On the Mac side, MacBook's running Chrome always suffer from poor battery life, lousy website load times (when compared to Safari), sporadic crashes, which is why it's now policy to strip Chrome off of every machine, regardless of platform.

Problem is, because Chrome is bundled with so many things (Flash, Java, and some other third-party items we require), it always manages to weasel its way back onto some systems, making it a constant fight to keep pulling it off. The damn thing actually spreads almost like a virus sometimes, it's sickening.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Ha! Guilty, though I'd say the Germans are way worse than their western neighbourghs. Perhaps [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] can chime in.

That's another thing with Americans that I love: you guys simply take a word and can 'verb it'. I'm sure there are many more examples, can't think of them right now, but the moment you hear something that may sound strange to me, you'll immediately get it. "Indian giver" was one that pops up now, though unrelated to my example of verbalising something.

I also like to 'get black' sometimes, simply using poor grammar, like "I ain't" and "she don't". In short, I really like the American language, though I love the pronunciation of the 'proper English' language.

Edit: my mention of 'getting black' turns out to not really being that: I just watched another episode of Hell On Wheels and it looks like I just have a thing for Southern old school language.

Any fan of Married with Children will know what 'don't Bundy that book' means.

Btw Hell on Wheels is an excellent show.

Edit: going postal, wilding, "ima get medieval on your ass" :lol:
  • Reply 57 of 88
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

39 major revisions in 6 years!

A major revision every 8 weeks!

GTFO!

• Reply 58 of 88
    Haven't read all the comments, yet, but is the thread now a Google bashing one? Because they also do kind things, like giving people their money back:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/19/this-80-mobile-app-prototyping-software-for-mac-is-now-free-courtesy-of-google-acquisition/
  • Reply 59 of 88
    philboogie wrote: »
    Haven't read all the comments, yet, but is the thread now a Google bashing one? Because they also do kind things, like giving people their money back:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/19/this-80-mobile-app-prototyping-software-for-mac-is-now-free-courtesy-of-google-acquisition/
    We can use the phrase "kind things" in the same sentence as Google, when they start butting out of our private lives, stop snooping every single freaking thing we do online, and give us back our right to privacy. We can talk about them and kind things then.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Any fan of Married with Children will know what 'don't Bundy that book' means.

Btw Hell on Wheels is an excellent show.

Never watched Married with Children, but do like Hell On Wheels! Plus the series makes me learn new words, like Verdantly, Cudgel, Inure, Acquiesce, Ghoul.