Beats Music will be native iOS app starting with spring 2015 update - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

I don't know.  I love old music, and Beats seems to have everything from the Grand Ol Oprey, to Dylan's folk years, and BeBop Jazz.

Also.  Beats is curated by humans - not an algorithm like Pandora.

Does Beats have Classical, Opera, New Age or Jazz?
  • Reply 22 of 60

It will have to be cheaper and better to get me to quit Spotify, and I do not see that happening. Since Spotify has an incredible amount of music in all genres available whenever and wherever I want to listen, what can Beats do to compete?

• Reply 23 of 60
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Competing/ gambling with price, in an industry that already adopted an "it's free" mind set.. is a bit sad. How do we encourage people to send money to the artists? Every artist should have a personal donation account where fans could sent tips now and then, when they feel generous.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

It will have to be cheaper and better to get me to quit Spotify, and I do not see that happening. Since Spotify has an incredible amount of music in all genres available whenever and wherever I want to listen, what can Beats do to compete?

You won't have to re-download the app and your lists will be in the cloud?
  • Reply 25 of 60

and Apple welcomes you to the lovely world of unwanted Crapware...

• Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have an idea: discontinue this, incorporate into iTunes (OS X)/Music (iOS) instead of the nonsense they’re planning.

Or they could incorporate it into iTunes Radio.  Give the user the option of free ad-based or paid subscription-based.

• Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

So Apple removes Neato and forces Beats on all iPhone users. Ugh.

The whole Beats thing has been negative after negative for Apple. (U2, spat with Bose, and now this). I think Tim Cook has done a fantastic job in general, and when he had missteps, was able to fix them quickly (Browett -> Ahrendts). The Beats acquisition, however, appears to be a misstep that keeps on hurting.

The acquisition itself, in my opinion, is a smart move.  How Apple's leadership team executes on this will decide if it's a misstep.

• Reply 28 of 60

I've been meaning to try Beats Music. I've tried Pandora but didn't care for it, iTunes Radio is terrible (the most classic fail was when a jazz song came up in my classic rock playlist).

• Reply 29 of 60

Just my 2 cents but I actually like Beats Music.  I'm a Spotify Premium subscriber but the curated playlists that that I subscribe to on Beats seem to be a better match for me than what I get on Spotify. Plus, it's on Apple TV. I only wish it had a native Mac app like Spotify and a little more social with being able to share with friends. I will remain with Spotify as well but if they reduce the subscription price to $5.99, that's hard to beat.  iTunes Radio isn't really for me so I don't use it.  I like being able to play any song I want.

• Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

$5.99 premium subscription & family plan will help me quit Spotify. Add a Mac native app and I'm good to go.  Based on my user experience, the curated playlists is what makes Beats better than Spotify.  With so many songs to choose from, it's important to be able to choose a playlist that will satisfy without having to skip a lot of songs in between.

• Reply 31 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It would be nice if some of these Apple apps were able to be deleted if you didn't use them. But in order to do that they'd have to put them on the AppStore and once they're on the AppStore you can see how frequently (or not) they've been downloaded and what rating they get. So I don't see Apple doing that (outside of iWork type apps). I wish they would though because it might force them to make their first party apps better.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Or they could incorporate it into iTunes Radio.  Give the user the option of free ad-based or paid subscription-based.

Yes, that; exactly. That’s iTunes, but hey.

• Reply 33 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wdowell wrote: »
    Though I personally don't want anything to do with Beats as a 30 year old who hates this rage of crappy musak, I fear that there is a huge younger generation (10-22) who are much more likely to value it..  It may well make business sense for Apple to take a dual approach with the branding to serve the two audiences, but I'm not sure that's workable. So ultimately they'll target it to their future market rather than an ageing one..  

Beats music is not Beats by Dre. The latter is what has all the brand recognition. Beats by Dre won't go away anytime soon but Beats Music should be folded into iTunes.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

$5.99 premium subscription & family plan will help me quit Spotify. Add a Mac native app and I'm good to go.  Based on my user experience, the curated playlists is what makes Beats better than Spotify.  With so many songs to choose from, it's important to be able to choose a playlist that will satisfy without having to skip a lot of songs in between.

I don't want my music curated though, I want to choose what I want to listen to. With Spotify it's like I own every album in the world and I just type a name and I listen to it. This is my idea of heaven.

• Reply 35 of 60
    Back to the days of bloatware.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Exactly- and there is absolutely nothing trolling about asking to get rid of crap you're never going to use.

The Beats app is 17.5 MB in size.  Not saying it's right for Apple to force it on us but I have helped a lot of friends and family with 16 GB iPhones and the majority of crap that occupies their phone are old text messages (with attachments) and photos they never bother to delete.

• Reply 37 of 60
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    looks like people fail to remember that Apple has done the third party apps pre-installed and couldn't be removed.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

I don't want my music curated though, I want to choose what I want to listen to. With Spotify it's like I own every album in the world and I just type a name and I listen to it. This is my idea of heaven.

Just to clarify, I can play any song or album on Beats just as if I own them, as with Spotify.  What I was trying to do is highlight what I think is a strong area of Beats, and it's their playlists.  Sometimes I just want to choose a playlist and like every song on it and not have to constantly skip over songs I don't like.  You don't use the ready-made playlists on Spotify at all?

• Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WTF dude. U2 and Bose has ZERO to do with Beats Music.

You think Jimmy Iovine had ZERO to do with U2's album promotion with Apple, when the reason for getting him was to be a bridge between Apple and the music industry?

• Reply 40 of 60

Let's just list the useless collection of compulsory Apps I move off into my 9th iPhone screen - 

Health

Tips

Newsstand

Videos

Compass

Notes

Voice Memos

Maps

Stocks

Game Center

Passbook

iBooks