Apple!! READ THIS RE: POWERBOOK RESOLUTION

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to MOSR, Apple is doing market research regarding the resolution of the PB LCD.

I've always thought the resolution was crap for a high end laptop, almost every other laptop in this catagory has 1400x1080 or higher resolution options.

Apple, PLEASE offer a 1600x1024 resolution PB!!!

Anyone else want to comment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm in the market for a laptop, but I use text all day. I don't even like the smallness of the text on my 17" LCD. Am I the only one?

I suppose it would be possible to magnify text, but that sounds like a pain.

This seems to me to be one disadvantage of the LCDs - with CRTs, you can easily change resolutions. With LCDs, there basically is just one good resolution.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I mentioned this in a previous thread.

I checked out a Compaq laptop which seemed to display 1600x1200 and 1024x768 really well. I don't know if it's the screen or the video card that allows it to do so.

(or maybe it was some software interpolation stuff? that was still at the low res but gave me a bigger desktop?is that possible?)

I think 1600 x 1024 is too high for most people and everyday use. If there is only one "good" resolution, I'd stick with 1280x960 or 1280x1024. At least for me.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    1600x1024 -- yes please, pro product needs pro resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>According to MOSR, Apple is doing market research regarding the resolution of the PB LCD.

I've always thought the resolution was crap for a high end laptop, almost every other laptop in this catagory has 1400x1080 or higher resolution options.

Apple, PLEASE offer a 1600x1024 resolution PB!!!

Anyone else want to comment?</strong><hr></blockquote>

IMO, I think MOSR is spewing: 1600 x 1024 is not the same ratio as 1152 x 768. They'd have to redesign the case, which I think is unlikely (but given the case of the 14.1" iBook, it's possible).
  • Reply 5 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong> I don't even like the smallness of the text on my 17" LCD. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Just increase the zoom on the text.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Alpha Mac ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:

<strong>

IMO, I think MOSR is spewing: 1600 x 1024 is not the same ratio as 1152 x 768. They'd have to redesign the case, which I think is unlikely (but given the case of the 14.1" iBook, it's possible).</strong><hr></blockquote>

oooh! how about 1200 x 800, or 1272 x 848, or 1344 x 896, or 1380 x 920, or 1440 x 960, or 1536 x 1024, or 6144 x 4096, or 7680 x 5120, or 138,240 x 92,160...yeah, 138,240 x 92,160, it just rolls off the tongue...
  • Reply 7 of 28
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Market Research? How about this:

I PROMISE the moment screen resolution is increased I will purchase a Powerbook. That is the one, the only, deciding factor in my purchase.

Increase the resolution, and precisely 5 seconds later I will be in my car to an Apple store. Period.

- Pook
  • Reply 8 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>1440 x 960</strong><hr></blockquote>

bingo.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Yep, the day Apple makes a screen that can offer 2 windows full size DV PAL (720x576) with FCP3, so at least 1440 large, I buy one (maybe it will even include a SuperDrive !)... until then I keep my iBook.

And the day Apple release a G5 desktop, I'll buy one too ... until then I keep my G4 400 !

Please make either one fast !
  • Reply 10 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    <strong>Originally posted by BRussell:

I suppose it would be possible to magnify text, but that sounds like a pain.</strong>

This should be the perfect solution. I'm not talking just font size. I'm talking about magnification of the entire window, bitmaps, fonts, graphics and all. It shouldn't be a pain, but a magnification slider for the entire screen in SystemPreferences.app.

Anywhere in the 1500x1000 to 1800x1200 would be nice. Same thing with all of the LCD screens. The Flat Panel iMac should be at least 1152x864, but 1280x960 would be nicer. I don't think Apple should do it unless they can implement system magnification though.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the bottom line is the powerbook should at LEAST have equal DPI to the 12.1 inch iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>the bottom line is the powerbook should at LEAST have equal DPI to the 12.1 inch iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

whatever it will be will be 3:2 ratio versus 4:3 (TV). 16:9 is conimatic and 3:2 is closer to to 16:9 than 4:3. That is why is interesting in design for people doing video editing as you have a wider experience. very creative i think.
  • Reply 13 of 28

<strong>the bottom line is the powerbook should at LEAST have equal DPI to the 12.1 inch iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why did you buy one then if this is a bottom line?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

Why did you buy one then if this is a bottom line?</strong><hr></blockquote>

because I needed one jackass
  • Reply 15 of 28

<strong>

because I needed one jackass</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, ok that clears it all up. You just bought a 667 TiBook when all you do is complain about the company that manufactures it?

Please tell me where you stand, jackass.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

Oh, ok that clears it all up. You just bought a 667 TiBook when all you do is complain about the company that manufactures it?

Please tell me where you stand, jackass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you want him to do? Go buy the machine and then lick Apples balls every 3 seconds? He paid the damn money for the machine, and he can't even say what he WISHES it had?!

What is this, are Apple apologists turning into pro-Apple dictators or something? "Dont you dare say anything bad about Apple!"

You know what, I bet most of the people who "bitch and moan" here, have bought MORE Apple stuff then all you lil bitch-ass Apple apologists/dictators. People buy the product because they like it, because they need it, but the product CAN be better, and they are giving Apple the feedback on HOW it can be better. God DAMN.

-Moazam
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ...does anyone know who makes the displays for the powerbook g4? Samsung? Maybe if we check their website (and products), maybe we will know what's in store?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by /mandolux/:

<strong>...does anyone know who makes the displays for the powerbook g4? Samsung? Maybe if we check their website (and products), maybe we will know what's in store?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think Samsung makes all LCDs for Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    1440x960 Jonathan? Are you sure?

Display makers usually make sure non-standard resolutions have there hight compatible with a standard res. For example Apple's "16:9" display is 1600x1024 so you can play games and use full-screen apps at 1280x1024.

1440x1024 or 1536x1024 would make more sense

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I think Samsung makes all LCDs for Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Except for the Cinema Display which is made by LG/Philips.