DOJ: A child will die due to Apple's iOS 8 encryption tech

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    Kids dying from neglect, being poor, bad follow up from child protection services etc. No no.. we don't care about those at all. Only the ones with an iPhone in the family.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    bvgkbvgk Posts: 16member

Go Fight for "Right to Life" if you care so much ..... at least you could have saved some of those 55Million babies aborted!! .... since Rove v Wade.

• Reply 23 of 156
    This is the kind of misdirection the DOJ needs in order to get a foot in the door.

It isn't about saving children. That's simply an excuse designed to get Apple to make the Big Concession.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Boo f'ing hoo
  • Reply 25 of 156

Just look at the flowers.

• Reply 26 of 156
    stskstsk Posts: 22member

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of

the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the

benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any

curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation." - Adolph Hitler

(Mein Kampf)

• Reply 27 of 156
    So it is ok for the NSA and FBI and Police and Chinese and Russian Spies to rape all of us and kill us in exchange for the life of one child. Forget that. Let the child die. Only if the US starts nuking every enemy state such as Iran and othe Middle East countries and killing every enemy civilian man woman and child will it have any credence in its arguments about our safety.
  • Reply 28 of 156
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Meh, crims have been using BlackBerries for years. They'll always be one step ahead of law enforcement.

Besides more kids are killed by faulty phone chargers.

• Reply 29 of 156
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    When a government characterizes privacy as the enemy, that government has become the enemy of its people.

The same goes for corporations (they want to know everything about you and have access to you everywhere at all times, but for different reasons; you're not a potential enemy, but a potential source of money).

At this point, I'm probably on all the watch lists for daring to speak against capitalist greed and out of control government, in public. Luckily I'm poor and mostly a shut in, so I doubt I represent a threat, especially when I hate guns and violence. Still, the idea that some government agency has my name on a list, that my environmental justice activist friends (very highly ethical people) are likely on watch lists and potentially being monitored... It's sick. The paranoia just keeps building. Look into the origins of the FBI and CIA some time. They were crazy people. Has that really changed?

I know freedom is a myth, but when your government can demonstrate their hatred of the privacy of its own people this blatantly in public without instantly facing consequences worse than Internet commentary, that tells me we are worse off than I suspected. There's way too much tolerance for corruption and way too much complacency. But let's keep blasting the nationalist pride. That works well for insane societies.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

straw man argument:)

but but but think of the straw men!

• Reply 31 of 156
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Meh, crims have been using BlackBerries for years.

Even beyond that, all you have to do is go buy a prepaid dumbphone, make your calls, and then chuck it in the river when the job is done. There’s even a name for that a phone used in this way, but I can’t remember it...

• Reply 32 of 156
    I see the DOJ has become the DOFUD.
  • Reply 33 of 156

Thousands of American children died in Iraq for basically nothing.

Investigate that, DOJ.

Here's some last names to clue you in... Bush Cheney Rice Rumsfeld.

Good luck...

• Reply 34 of 156
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    They can just waterboard the suspect until he gives up the passcode. Problem solved.
  • Reply 35 of 156

:smokey:

• Reply 36 of 156

Perhaps that one child is named Chanel Andrade? Or Paiges Gent? No, it could not be either of them. They were among the many young children that died during the disastrous DOJ/ATF siege of the Branch Davidian compound.

Given the DOJ's shameful history when it comes to the deaths of innocent children, it is breathtaking that they of all organizations would make such an accusation of Apple--or of anyone. Could the DOJ possibly stoop lower?

• Reply 37 of 156

DOJ can't say the same thing about Android encryption...

• Reply 38 of 156
    no, a child will die because the police etc can't do their job without Apple hacking into phones for them.

Not to mention, there has to be a way for Apple to find out the iCloud account for a phone cause they can remove activation lock. Thus they can access any contacts, backups etc with a proper warrant.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    wigby wrote: »
    So only one dead child stands between all of our privacy and security?

Sorry kid.

One theoretical dead kid. After all the DOJ is assuming that the answer to find the kid would be in the phone in the first place. Any decently smart criminal would know to turn off location services, delete messages right away, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    Every time the DOJ talks an angel loses his wings.