Sony drops out of Steve Jobs movie, Universal rumored to take over

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
In a surprising turn of events, Sony is reportedly no longer attached to the upcoming Steve Jobs movie penned by Oscar winner Aaron Sorkin and based on Walter Isaacson's biography of the tech guru.

Steve Jobs

Sony Pictures has not yet commented on the rumor first reported by Deadline.com, but Variety claims the film is now in turnaround following the development.

With Sony out, Universal Studios is rumored to take the reins and will green light production by the end of Thursday. With the quick changing of hands, the untitled Jobs film is unlikely to suffer serious setbacks, Deadline said.

Along with Sorkin, other big-name Hollywood players are said to be attached to the film, including director Danny Boyle and Seth Rogen as Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak. Following Christian Bale's decision to pass on the role of Jobs, the lead part has yet to be decided, though recent rumblings point to Michael Fassbender.

During an interview that aired earlier this month, Sorkin said the film is less of a biopic than a segment of Jobs' life told through his relationships with coworkers and loved ones. It was later revealed that Jobs' daughter Lisa will play a crucial role in the film.

Since it was announced in 2012, the big-budget film has been on the fast track to production, though the movie still lacks a lead actor. Previously, Leonardo DiCaprio was on board to play Jobs, while David Fincher and were at different times slated to direct.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    The more they talk about this, the less interested I am in it.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Why do I feel like this is going to be like the "real Apple TV" and be delayed and delayed until it just never happens
  • Reply 3 of 55
    With each setback, the role moves closer to Ashton Kutcher, a no-name director, and a low budget feel.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    My Spidey-sense tells me this movie is radioactive.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

It's way too early for a great Steve Jobs bio film anyway. Plus Hollywood is churning out too much drek these days. It needs an Ang Lee or European director to bring a fresh spin on it. 

• Reply 6 of 55
    "Steve Jobs: The Revengening," A Team Troma Release
  • Reply 7 of 55
    "Steve Jobs: The Revengening," A Team Troma Release

They should do a trilogy.

Jobs Begins (birth to 1985)
    The NeXT Jobs (1985-1996)
    Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Get Bale to star, Nolan to direct, and...well, fit Michael Caine in there somewhere lol.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    They probably weren't allowed to use half the movie to focus on how much Steve envied Sony and what Sony components Apple has used in their devices over the years¡

Seriously though, I really don't want to see a film of Steve Jobs at this time. I definitely didn't watch the one with Kutcher and Gad, nor did I read Issacson's book. At this point we're all pretty aware of Apple since they've dominated the world's mindshare for more than a decade and are still growing.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    solipsismy wrote: »
    They probably weren't allowed to use half the movie to focus on how much Steve envied Sony and what Sony components Apple has used in their devices over the years¡

Seriously though, I really don't want to see a film of Steve Jobs at this time. I definitely didn't watch the one with Kutcher and Gad, nor did I read Issacson's book. At this point we're all pretty aware of Apple since they've dominated the world's mindshare for more than a decade and are still growing.

Basically, the trick to getting things out of Issacsons book is to ignore his conclusions completely and just focus on the facts.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    solipsismy wrote: »

The Kutcher movie really was dreck. I felt my time was completely wasted after watching it.
  • Reply 11 of 55

Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Get Bale to star, Nolan to direct, and...well, fit Michael Caine in there somewhere lol.

You have to have Michael Caine as Woz or the deal's off.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Seriously though, I really don't want to see a film of Steve Jobs at this time.

I would be quite pleased with a movie that is literally nothing more expansive than Pirates of Silicon Valley 2: Mobile Devices Boogaloo!

Just do exactly the same thing you did before, except with Google and Samsung in the place of Microsoft, as THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED HERE AS DID THREE DECADES AGO. It’s baffling how it could happen again.

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You have to have Michael Caine as Woz or the deal's off.

“Know your limits, Steve...” said Woz as Steve chomped his 5th banana for the day; the only food he had eaten.

“Apple... has no limits.”

You do.”

“You wanna know how I got this OS? C’mere... My partner was... Apple. And one night, I went off crazier than usual. I got a deal to write office software for their new computer, but their OS was way better than ours. I didn’t like that. Not. One. Bit. So, Ballmer watching, I took the OS, made it worse, and packaged it as my own...”

“Oh, you think the Google is your ally... But you merely adopted the Google. I was born in it... Moulded by it...”

“... Eric, what the heck are you talking abo–”

“The Google betrays you because it belongs to me! I will show you the OS I have made during my time at Apple. And then I will break your marketshare...” 

• Reply 13 of 55
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

when this is all over, they should make a movie about the drama which happened over the making of this movie. 

• Reply 14 of 55
    Lots of great zingers in this thread. :D
  • Reply 15 of 55
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I hope they cast Steve Wozniak for the role of Seth Rogen in "Making of the Steve Jobs Movie"

• Reply 16 of 55

Jobs Rises (1996-2011)

Swap Spielberg for Nolan. Spielberg will humanize it and make it memorable to all ages.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Swap Spielberg for Nolan. Spielberg will humanize it and make it memorable to all ages.

I think Nolan did hit some real emotional highs with Inception and Intersteller.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Presumably they wouldn't have dropped it if they thought they could make a profit on it. It must be marginal, some studios think they can, others think they can't. 

• Reply 19 of 55
    It's a shame that the best movie on the topic is Pirates of Silicon Valley. I liked it's campy feel but a good solid movie is over due.

Anyone listen to the Debug podcast? They've had a couple of shows that gave an interesting inside look at Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    No doubt Sorkin is a great writer when he's on but all signs indicate this particular script is a bow wow.