Google launches first 64-bit Chrome Web browser for OS X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    magman1979 wrote: »
    We can use the phrase "kind things" in the same sentence as Google, when they start butting out of our private lives, stop snooping every single freaking thing we do online, and give us back our right to privacy. We can talk about them and kind things then.

+1
  • Reply 62 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    We can use the phrase "kind things" in the same sentence as Google, when they start butting out of our private lives, stop snooping every single freaking thing we do online, and give us back our right to privacy. We can talk about them and kind things then.

It's so very simple. Google gives you this page as a one-stop destination for your account history and settings. Included is an easy opt-out of all ad targeting and/or deletion of all information Google might connect with you. Google is pretty transparent with what they collect and what they think they know about you and give you a whole lotta tools to control it. It ain't all that hard.
    https://www.google.com/settings/accounthistory

Darn thing is I can't find the same page for perusing, setting options, correcting or out-right deleting everything Apple or Microsoft has collected about me. Anyone else have the link to the appropriate page?
  • Reply 63 of 88
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's so very simple. Google gives you this page as a one-stop destination for your account history and settings. Included is an easy opt-out of all ad targeting and/or deletion of all information Google might connect with you. It ain't all that hard.
    https://www.google.com/settings/accounthistory

Darn thing is I can't find the same page for perusing, setting options, correcting or out-right deleting everything Apple or Microsoft has collected about me. Anyone else have the link to the appropriate page?
    Why do you even bother coming to an Apple site, when you obviously just try to belittle them and their users with your pro-Google crap?

I am well aware of that page, and it's nothing but a smokescreen... I've opted out of everything Google a long time ago, and yet, after re-visiting that page after 6 months, they've re-aquired data on me! Not to mention, EVERY site I goto, my AdBlock and DoNotTrackMe pick up MULTIPLE Google trackers attempting to load and eavesdrop on my activities. Not to mention the many sites I've run into where their functionality is either crippled, or completely disabled, if I don't allow every Google component to load?

Please go spew your crap on some Fandroid site where they'll eat this up, not here.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Why do you even bother coming to an Apple site, when you obviously just try to belittle them and their users with your pro-Google crap?

I am well aware of that page, and it's nothing but a smokescreen... I've opted out of everything Google a long time ago, and yet, after re-visiting that page after 6 months, they've re-aquired data on me! Not to mention, EVERY site I goto, my AdBlock and DoNotTrackMe pick up MULTIPLE Google trackers attempting to load and eavesdrop on my activities. Not to mention the many sites I've run into where their functionality is either crippled, or completely disabled, if I don't allow every Google component to load?

Please go spew your crap on some Fandroid site where they'll eat this up, not here.

Gator occasionally provides some "outsider" perspective, so I wouldn't want to toss out his opinion entirely.

• Reply 65 of 88

Gator occasionally provides some "outsider" perspective, so I wouldn't want to toss out his opinion entirely.
    I've read some of those perspectives, and though I have to agree that "some" are slightly useful, they don't outweigh most of the pro-Google propaganda he spreads here, so I'd still love to see him gone... Another person, whose nick contains A and ][, should get tossed as well!
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

my wife used to love this browser and installed it on my mac. but on my web traffic app i noticed that it was always trying to send stuff to google. even with the app off it wanted to send stuff out. thanks but no.

Well maybe you should give it another go.

This new builds way better— it can now send them you information with 64 bit speed, accuracy, and stealthyness!

• Reply 67 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

At any given moment there are usually 100-300 readers on AI, and only a dozen or so members. There are plenty of iOS users that use Google apps, and the information the GG provides could be beneficial to some. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, pro Google he is, anti-Apple he's not.
  • Reply 68 of 88

if you already knew why didn't you bother to tell anyone else here about that particular Google page? Many, in fact most here may have no idea that page exists.

I also doubt that Google continued tracking you anyway, delivering targeted ads on behalf of advertisers, after you specifically opted out of their services. Your claim has a pretty rank FUDdy smell to it. That would raise the FTC's hackles faster than the Safari cookie caper did, and it darn sure wouldn't result in a teeny fine. According to Google the only way that should happen is if you reset or trash your cookie settings after opting out. If you do that you need to revisit the page and make whatever changes you wanted again.

Or better yet avoid the problem altogether if it's so bothersome by installing Google's Double-click opt-out extension, which makes sure the personal ad profiling is permanently blocked. Did you know about that one too and if so why didn't you mention it? it would have been helpful.
    https://www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin

Who else here would bother to figure out how to rid yourself of Google services and share it the procedures with everyone else? You and others want to complain about them but don't bother figuring out how to avoid 'em. Do what I suggested and you still get to use Google Search absolutely free, including freedom from profiling for targeted ads.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who cares? It’s spyware from one of the world’s most evil companies that still runs original WebKit.

It runs Blink which is not the original Webkit.

• Reply 70 of 88
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

It runs Blink which is not the original Webkit.

Even worse.

• Reply 71 of 88
    if you already knew why didn't you bother to tell anyone else here about that particular Google page? Many, in fact most here may have no idea that page exists.

I also doubt that Google continued tracking you anyway, delivering targeted ads on behalf of advertisers, after you specifically opted out of their services. Your claim has a pretty rank FUDdy smell to it. That would raise the FTC's hackles faster than the Safari cookie caper did, and it darn sure wouldn't result in a teeny fine. According to Google the only way that should happen is if you reset or trash your cookie settings after opting out. If you do that you need to revisit the page and make whatever changes you wanted again.

Or better yet avoid the problem altogether if it's so bothersome by installing Google's Double-click opt-out extension, which makes sure the personal ad profiling is permanently blocked. Did you know about that one too and if so why didn't you mention it? it would have been helpful.
    https://www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin

Who else here would bother to figure out how to rid yourself of Google services and share it the procedures with everyone else? You and others want to complain about them but don't bother figuring out how to avoid 'em. Do what I suggested and you still get to use Google Search absolutely free, including freedom from profiling for targeted ads.

You're welcome.
    While that page you referenced may come in handy to some, I don't go out of my way showing people how to use temporary workarounds for Google's invasive policies, I tell them how to get away from them altogether, which is much more beneficial in the long run for everyone.

I stopped sucking on Google's proverbial tit last year, and I couldn't be happier. Here's a run down of the services I use these days:

Search: DuckDuckGo - I find it excellent, with no tracking, no junk, no crud, and the search results are good enough that I haven't visited Google in more than a year
    Maps: Apple Maps - Not once has this let me down, and I've found it to be a very capable replacement for Google Maps for the majority of users
    Email: iCloud, personal domain / server, work server - Took ALL my content on Gmail, migrated to iCloud, and split off business items to a new, personal server, and everything works like a dream
    Email (secondary): DoNotTrackMe Masked Emails, Outlook.com - Between these two, all websites get an aliased email from me that I can kill with the flick of a switch if the site ever gets hacked

For pretty much anything else, DDG serves me extremely well on all my devices, and I actively encourage users to give it a try, and most of them fall in love and stick with it.

And as I use Safari Cookies to automatically manage my stored cookies, and which cookies I want retained, Google's "opt-out" is a bit of a joke, as their system continuously opts you back in each time you clear cookies. I wonder what the FTC would say that? BTW, speaking of the FTC, shouldn't they have screamed to the highest of heavens over the NSA spy programs involving cell carriers harvesting metadata all the time, or the recent revelation of AT&T using perma-cookies, and only getting rid of them (supposedly) after they were discovered and there was a public backlash? Where's the FTC about all that? They are just puppets.

And the LAST thing that's going to touch ANY of my systems is a piece of Google software. As far as I'm concerned, their tracking should be opt-in by request, not opt-in whether you like it or not. Plugins like this are an insult, and solidification of me avoiding them like the plague they are.

And it seems you keep trying to make it look like Google has your best interests at heart, and that one should continue using their junk. That's nice. Had you been responsible, you'd be doing what I'm doing, and getting people to leave them behind and take back their rights and freedoms online.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Apple has a vested interest in trying to keep the perception of there being potential of viruses on the platform to a minimum. Ask anyone who deals in IT on Mac's with a broad range of users on a daily basis and they'll tell you there ARE viruses for OS X.

You're just being naive to think a computer system, of any type or platform, cannot fall victim to a virus.

Got anything else you want to add to the heap of your embarrassing comments? I see you also like to post Windows browser tests to try and backup your claim on a Mac topic, how quaint...

I think you need to revisit the definition of a computer "virus".

Trojans, malware, yeah sure but self replicating viruses, not so far.

We had to uninstall chrome from our work PC's due to security issues.

I tried Chrome a couple of times, gave it a chance and dumped it, I don't need it.

• Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's well informed on all things Google, very well informed, with answers for everything Google related always at his fingertips.

It's as if he worked for them or something.

• Reply 74 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and it darn sure wouldn't result in a teeny fine. 

Teeny fine?

How about a "teeny" loan?

I could do with a "teeny" amount, say 20 mil.

• Reply 75 of 88
    hill60 wrote: »

He's well informed on all things Google, very well informed, with answers for everything Google related always at his fingertips.

It's as if he worked for them or something.
    ...or know the proper way to do a search which some days and some topics seems to be a rarity around here.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Who else here would bother to figure out how to rid yourself of Google services and share it the procedures with everyone else? You and others want to complain about them but don't bother figuring out how to avoid 'em.

And figuring out how to avoid them again, and figuring out how to avoid them again...

I've played this game over the years with all sorts of data harvesters: you get on their lists by signing up for an account somewhere, they automatically opt you in for everything, requiring you to spend time trying to find the way(s) to opt out, only to have them add/change their opt-in options and automatically opt you in again.

These days I sign up for as few online accounts as possible, only stay logged in to an account for as long as I need to, and use a combination of plug-ins and browser options to block tracking, cookies, ads, etc.  Chews up far less of my time than continuously jumping through the hoops the data harvesters set up for you.

• Reply 77 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

"Occasionally" ... !!!!:D
  • Reply 78 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ...or know the proper way to do a search which some days and some topics seems to be a rarity around here.

Yep Duckduckgo is great isn't it? :)
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Yep Duckduckgo is great isn't it? :)
    Perhaps that's why you can't find this stuff for yourself, You try to rely on DuckDuckGo.

I've found DDG is okay for general searches but it's not nearly as comprehensive, granular or detailed as Google Search in my experience. I'm often questioned by you and others as to how I always seem to find the answers I do, and so quickly. Without Google Search I don't think I could.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Perhaps that's why you can't find this stuff for yourself, You try to rely on DuckDuckGo.

I've found DDG is okay for general searches but it's not nearly as comprehensive, granular or detailed as Google Search in my experience. I'm often questioned by you and others as to how I always seem to find the answers I do, and so quickly. Without Google Search I don't think I could.

Gatorguy, do you have any idea why g-sting (in their infinite Pagian wisdom) has removed the discussion search and its api? They did one thing right with that (which was also overdue when they did it) and now they 've removed it... Don't mean to flame or troll, just an honest question.