Apple issues first OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta to developers for testing [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2014
Three days after releasing the OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite maintenance update, Apple on Thursday seeded the first beta for its next OS X 10.10.2 update to developers.

Apple pushed out the first OS X 10.10.2 build, dubbed 14C68k, through the Software Update mechanism in OS X Yosemite and subsequently published release notes on its developer portal.

Although no focus areas are offered to developers in the seed notes, Apple details a known issue regarding a failure to open documents from iCloud Drive. The current workaround requires users to first move the files out of iCloud Drive before opening.

Apple on Monday issued OS X 10.10.1 to Mac users, bringing fixes for Wi-Fi issues, Mail compatibility and general bug squashing. Despite the patches, some users are still seeing slower than normal Wi-Fi speeds, a problem that might be addressed in the latest maintenance update.

Developers can download OS X 10.10.2 via Software Update or directly through Apple's developer portal.

Update: This article has been updated to reflect availability of OS X 10.10.2 with complete seed notes through Apple's developer portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Still far too many holes in Yosemite to consider upgrading for me at this point. I really wish Apple would go back to a bi-yearly OS X release schedule. It seems more and more that releasing on a yearly basis results in rushed an unfinished OSX's plagued with bugs.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Still far too many holes in Yosemite to consider upgrading for me at this point. I really wish Apple would go back to a bi-yearly OS X release schedule. It seems more and more that releasing on a yearly basis results in rushed an unfinished OSX's plagued with bugs.

What? Too many holes? It's pretty much flawless.

Bi-yearly schedule when you think it's rushed? Oh yeah, making the release date earlier is absolutely going to stop it being rushed... Great logic.

Plagued with bugs? For somebody that hasn't even upgraded, I would probably refrain from spewing that bs until you actually try it, it's far from plagued.

• Reply 3 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

In my experience, Yosemite is the best major update I can remember. And I'm running Server, too. (Normally I wouldn't update my Server systems until .2 or .3, but the "desktop" version of Yosemite was working so well that I took the plunge at .0 and had very little trouble--far less than when updating at .3 in the past.)

• Reply 4 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

How long have you personally used 10.10 and on what equipment to have come to that conclusion? I've been running on 5 different Macs since the first beta and have had very few problems, nothing major. Also please list the bugs.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    What are you smoking??? Yosemite has been by FAR the BEST point-zero release ever for Apple. I've been using it since the public beta program, and that program showed the benefits in a better release.

So far, with the release of 10.10.1, it has been flawless for me on three Mac's of varying model and age, and I've now started recommending users upgrade to it at work who've been asking me.
  • Reply 6 of 42
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Why do people like you who don't even install it make idiotic comments like this? Not only have we've been running it since June we installed it in all essential computers throwing caution to the wind. Other than missing TV Show icons in iTunes 12 (also released at the same time) we had zero issues. Not even WIFI issues. Hell our transfer for downloads jumped to 160+. Up from 25 so hell yeah. This is the most stable upgrade we've ever had and that was running a beta that had 6 beta updates through October. From beta 1 never an issue. People who aren't running it should stay quite. It ruins it for others and im running it on an 17" laptop dated early 2011. It boasted mr sped by 25% a noticeable jump.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Yosemite is weak in the interface design department, but functionally it's just as good as Mavericks, aside from any bugs that aren't affecting me. :) I think people need to remember that bugs can vary from machine to machine, depending on the model. My Mid-2013 MacBook Air runs flawlessly.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

is anybody going to get the update and then discuss it

• Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

is anybody going to get the update and then discuss it

Safari feels snappier.

• Reply 11 of 42

I hope 10.10.2 fixes the battery drain quite a few of us has been experiencing (I have a  mid-14 rMBP) as going from 7-8hrs to 3-4hrs is quite substantial (yes I've tried resets and etc.). And I don't particularly want to go back to Mavericks since Yosemite has been fairly stable otherwise but having to lug a power adaptor just isn't fun. 

• Reply 12 of 42
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

it really does

• Reply 13 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yosemite is weak in the interface design department,

Yeah, I’m sure Jony Ive is trembling in his boots, waiting by the phone for your call and advice on how to do it right. Jesus what a bore.

• Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, I’m sure Jony Ive is trembling in his boots, waiting by the phone for your call and advice on how to do it right. Jesus what a bore.

Why do you need to be rude? I expressed my experience based on 24 YEARS of using the Mac, beginning with System 6.0.8. Since my laptop is in front of me up to 20 hours per day (I'm a self-employed software engineer), even the smallest details can make a huge impact in my productivity. One example is that the application switcher looks absolutely horrible on a white-grey background... the translucent background material is barely even visible, so the app icons don't stand out like they did in previous versions of OS X. Another example is how certain third-party apps suddenly don't appear properly when combined with changes made to the rest of the system. That of course requires those developers to update their apps, yes, but the point is that Yosemite's UI changes resulted in an immediate downgrade of the user experience. I'm confident that Apple will address some of these nagging issues, and app developers will issue their own updates, but I'm not going to be a blind sheep and just accept the changes as being "perfect". There's always room for improvement, and I do my share of sending feedback to Apple and developers.

• Reply 15 of 42
    mazecookie wrote: »

Safari feels snappier.

Hate to go with that old line it but ... it is!

The only problem I have has with 10.10 has been a delayed effect in typing in Safari and mail on occasions. This on five different Macs including a new Mac Pro. It was not there in the golden master, it started on the release version, I am hoping that is gone. It was sporadic so may take a while to know.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Yosemite is weak in the interface design department, but functionally it's just as good as Mavericks, aside from any bugs that aren't affecting me. :) I think people need to remember that bugs can vary from machine to machine, depending on the model. My Mid-2013 MacBook Air runs flawlessly.

I would suggest most often your so called 'bugs' change from machine to machine due to the different levels of directory corruption and thirds party apps etc.. As to the interface, it is the best OS X version, hell best modern GUI there is IMHO, that opinion based upon 36 years using Apple equipment.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    coolfactor wrote: »

Why do you need to be rude? I expressed my experience based on 24 YEARS of using the Mac, beginning with System 6.0.8. Since my laptop is in front of me up to 20 hours per day (I'm a self-employed software engineer), even the smallest details can make a huge impact in my productivity. One example is that the application switcher looks absolutely horrible on a white-grey background... the translucent background material is barely even visible, so the app icons don't stand out like they did in previous versions of OS X. Another example is how certain third-party apps suddenly don't appear properly when combined with changes made to the rest of the system. That of course requires those developers to update their apps, yes, but the point is that Yosemite's UI changes resulted in an immediate downgrade of the user experience. I'm confident that Apple will address some of these nagging issues, and app developers will issue their own updates, but I'm not going to be a blind sheep and just accept the changes as being "perfect". There's always room for improvement, and I do my share of sending feedback to Apple and developers.

Well I raise your 24 years by 12 years and disagree... :D
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well I raise your 24 years by 12 years and disagree... image

Not really worth arguing over since I only said "weak", not "terrible", "horrible", or anything truly cataclysmic. Just a few small areas that need some improvements that weren't present in previous versions of OS X.

• Reply 19 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Having run Yosemite since the first beta, I can say with some authority that it is a fantastic update for most users. Those with POP email accounts and finicky existing Wi-Fi setups I would have advised to hold out till 10.10.1, but that's out now.

As with every other major OS update that has ever come out, if you're having odd problems try a clean install. That fixes 99 percent of such issues. I am told (though I haven't seen it personally) that there are still some lingering bugs with Mail and Wi-Fi, so if you don't want to upgrade yet that's fine -- but tens of millions of people are running Yosemite, right now, with no issue.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yosemite is weak in the interface design department,

I can't tell, lkrupp...is it the interface you like, or Ive himself?

I'm not sure why expressing a personal opinion that differs from yours,

in and of itself makes him a bore, but I suppose it would make sense to a 'fanboy',

and I didn't think that that term described you.

I think it's the ugliest interface I've ever seen on a Mac, but then I've only been

using them since 7.5 or so, so there's room for competitors, I suppose.

To my eye - yeah, just an opinion here! - it's a continuation of a trend whose object

appears to be to make everything look as utterly unspecial as 'inhumanly' possible...

And I don't really care what's happening in Ive's boots - he clearly has that covered,

to the exclusion of everyone else's boots.  

OTOH, at the end of the day, it really only matters how it works.