Google launches first 64-bit Chrome Web browser for OS X

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    Glad to hear it. Chrome is great for visiting Flash sites and unlike Safari (which is my default on a Mac) it's syncing comes across to my work PC nicely
  • Reply 82 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    shsf wrote: »

Gatorguy, do you have any idea why g-sting (in their infinite Pagian wisdom) has removed the discussion search and its api? They did one thing right with that (which was also overdue when they did it) and now they 've removed it... Don't mean to flame or troll, just an honest question.

I've no idea what you're referring to. Have you searched up the question with a web query? There's normally discussions on-line where the reasoning behind various decisons at different companies is discussed. That's where I'd go look (if I had any idea what you were talking about).
  • Reply 83 of 88
    auxio wrote: »
    And figuring out how to avoid them again, and figuring out how to avoid them again...

I've played this game over the years with all sorts of data harvesters: you get on their lists by signing up for an account somewhere, they automatically opt you in for everything, requiring you to spend time trying to find the way(s) to opt out, only to have them add/change their opt-in options and automatically opt you in again.

These days I sign up for as few online accounts as possible, only stay logged in to an account for as long as I need to, and use a combination of plug-ins and browser options to block tracking, cookies, ads, etc.  Chews up far less of my time than continuously jumping through the hoops the data harvesters set up for you.
    Would you pay to use a website or discussion forum to avoid ad-targeting or user tracking? Honest question and I encourage anyone's comments.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Would you pay to use a website or discussion forum to avoid ad-targeting or user tracking? Honest question and I encourage anyone's comments.

I would. In fact, I do at this site.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    philboogie wrote: »

Thanks. Anyone else willing to comment?
  • Reply 86 of 88
    To be more specific if Google decided to charge to use, or at least strongly encourage a small donation to the site owner rather than using advertisers' money to fund it would you buy in?
  • Reply 87 of 88

Search up "Contributor by Google",
  • Reply 88 of 88
    gatorguy wrote: »

Search up "Contributor by Google",

Thanks! That is fresh news, just a day old.

1) that is one great initiative

2) the details are...scarce:
    https://www.google.com/contributor/welcome/

3) I understand this is just the beginning, but simply see the placeholders where the ads used to be displayed makes for a 'awkward' experience. But I do understand that we can't expect we designers to run 2 versions side by side.

This will be interesting to see how it develops.