Mac users report Bluetooth lag & connection issues after updating to OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    I have a noticeable problem streaming to a sony soundbar from an imac - i thought it might be cos yosemite seems to need more system resources but I guess it's a bluetooth specific bug
  • Reply 62 of 85
    As much as I may look forward to Apple OS updates, now I always give them a month or two at the least to get the bugs ironed out. From what I read, Apple's OSs are incredibly complete when compared to Windows or Android. However, as much as they test their software before releasing it, there are SO MANY configurations and third party apps that are going to cause problems. That's not to say that Apple is not at fault for something, particularly like this. Unfortunately, all of us who choose to update, become a third tier of Beta testers. That's just the way it works in the wonderful world of computers. The part that bothers me most is articles like this never give you figures or percentages of those who've installed the OSs who are experiencing these problems. They simply see an opportunity for HEADLINES that will draw you into their poorly (if at all) researched articles. Sadly, with the internet being the prime source of news these days, these "journalists" (and I can't stress enough how unprofessional so many are) are taken as legitimate news sources. In medicine and science, only peer reviewed studies have any validity. In News, it seems that anyone can write a story about anything and get away with out stating sources for their information! So, my friends, Caveat Emptor!
  • Reply 63 of 85
    Step 1 of this link solved the problem for me:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

Hope this helps you!
  • Reply 64 of 85
    Since I upgraded to Yosemite I'm having a problem viewing some videos on YouTube. I get a black screen but the sound and on-screen comments are all that come through.

Help!
  • Reply 65 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Step 1 of this link solved the problem for me:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

Hope this helps you!

it helped me, I had mostly good wifi, but on some networks, it would often be laggy/slow.

I did step 1, and its improved considerably - i don't even think i have any kind of wifi issue now.

• Reply 66 of 85
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Been having the same trouble since initial beta releases and Apple has never addressed the issue since the onset.
  • Reply 67 of 85

I had the same problems (mouse lag, bluetooth connection on and off). Switching WiFi off at my MacMini solved the problem, apparently an interference between bluetooth and a particular Wifi channel.....

• Reply 68 of 85
    Just start really using Maverick prime time again since I purchase a used MacPro 2010 and Yosemite was released. Previously my 2008 MacBookPro running Maverick died at the end of July.
    So I have upgrade the (new to Me) MP 2010 to Maverick 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 or 10.9.5 rather quickly and the bluetooth in all of our other OS X 10.9.5 computers have had all of these problems including fast drain of MMouse, MTrackpad, other externals BT and BTLE products batteries, it has been hard to pin-down, what is going on.
    A Footnote:
    So far my longest I can tolerate, in getting through and toughing out the rough edges of Yosemite's Release 10.10 is about an hour, with out going back to Maverick. In reading through post since the 10/23 there is a large number of complaints of not having backward compatibility in thrust for new Yosemite and iOS8 features, both in Wifi and Bluetooth.
    :My rebuttal
    I think I will wait until the bugs are worked out of OS X 10.10 and Apple is not going to use my 'pro bona' beta testing anymore. Please follow my lead.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsiple View Post

Since I upgraded to Yosemite I'm having a problem viewing some videos on YouTube. I get a black screen but the sound and on-screen comments are all that come through.

Help!

Hmm.. I've never had that problem until I updated to 10.10.1 last night - now I have the issue you're experiencing... :grumble:

• Reply 70 of 85

Ok so it seems like there is a problem with Safari (v8.0) as I'm able to watch YouTube videos in Chrome (v38.0.2125.122) and Firefox (v32.1.1)....

• Reply 71 of 85

I was nuts, so I shut down the computer.  Next day the black was gone, but now I'm having issues with hi-def buffering....

• Reply 72 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsiple View Post

I was nuts, so I shut down the computer.  Next day the black was gone, but now I'm having issues with hi-def buffering....

I sent feedback to Apple and have started a thread at Apple Support over here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6684406?start=0&tstart=0

Seems like loads of people are having the same issue possible cause is Youtube's HTML5 player.

A temporary fix is to try this:

1) Open Safari

2) Go to Preferences

3) Select the Advance Tab

4) At the bottom of the window enable "Show Develop menu in menu bar" and close Preferences window

5) Navigate to the new Develop menu in the Safari menu bar

6) Under User Agent, select either Google Chrome or Firefox (depending on what you have installed)

This should allow you to watch Youtube videos without any problems. 

You may have to do this overtime you start safari but at least it is a temporary fix until Apple sort it out...

Let me know if you need any help :)

• Reply 73 of 85

Thanks for the help.  Now, if I can get the pop-up Java thing to go away I think I'm good.  No other problems so far.

• Reply 74 of 85

That made things worse.  Now everything's buffering for ages.  Can't get any video to start without waiting for 5 minutes or so.  I've got plenty of bandwidth, so that's not the problem.  

• Reply 75 of 85

Maybe try selecting Safari 7.1 under User Agent...

• Reply 76 of 85

I'll try anything at this point.  I'm not having any of the connectivity problems that others seem to be having.  Strange.

• Reply 77 of 85

Well everything seems to be back to normal now regarding Safari and Youtube.

I believe it was an issue at Google/Youtube but it is now fixed... :)

• Reply 78 of 85

I have the same issue on a MacPro with this specific device. The BT driven "Big Blue" Speaker doesn't seem to exhibit this. Used Stumbler to monitor the signal level when the drop outs occur. Guess what the signal level appear to be the cause (though I suppose a momentary glitch could still be a cause). Stumbler monitors SN and level every few seconds. It's very stable and batteries are new when the condition occurs. Even when connected the operation of the Magic Trackpad seems sluggish at time when the pad is <8' from the machine and the signal level is better than -67dBm (47dB S/N). 
  • Reply 79 of 85

I guess that's why my plantronics bluetooth headset, which I used all the time at my iMac on 10.9, mysteriously failed to work the minute I upgraded to Yosemite. I don't have anything better to do than whine about a bluetooth issue after an upgrade.

Apple customers should hope that dudes like techguy911 don't work in Apple development, because if that attitude carries over, it's no wonder quality has lost a spark since Jobs left.

• Reply 80 of 85
    rudiratlos wrote: »
    I had the same problems (mouse lag, bluetooth connection on and off). Switching WiFi off at my MacMini solved the problem, apparently an interference between bluetooth and a particular Wifi channel.....
    So time to change my wifi freq.