Rumor: Gold Apple Watch Edition priced up to $5,000, steel version at $500, will debut on Feb. 14

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 247
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I think you two should get a room!

A sucker is born everyday.

• Reply 242 of 247
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I think you two should get a room!

We just might!

• Reply 243 of 247
    This seems pretty reasonable to me. My guess is that there will be another "premium" edition with a super limited run that will be a LOT more than 5K.
  • Reply 244 of 247
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Unless you're saying that gold will have seriously dropped in value by then, you'd be mistaken.

Even the steel Rolex watches like Explorer II go for many thousands, and those you have to wind up yourself....

• Reply 245 of 247
    Where will these watch bodies and bands be made?
  • Reply 246 of 247
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Where will these watch bodies and bands be made?

China naturally. Where else.

• Reply 247 of 247
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member

The pricing seems to fall under the typical Apple structure of "barely reasonable." I don't see the price as an issue for people looking for a great watch. That's the key. If you're looking for cheap gadgets, you're going to be disappointed.  $500 for a stainless watch these days is about what they all cost. And the gold version, well... I can't afford a solid gold watch anyway so I don't even bother looking in the direction of Tag, Rolex, etc...

I suspect the Sport Watch is going to see extremely high sales volume (almost all the sales volume, in fact—simply because it's the cheapest) until people have it for a full upgrade cycle and see how long the thing lasts. Does the battery stop holding a full day charge after 6 months? A year? To me, that's the deal-breaker question that can only be answered after they're used for 6-12 months.

*********SPECULATION:************

I'm sure Apple considered all of this, and the Apple Watch is built to be only a little more than a wearable 2nd screen for the iPhone. In other words, there's little to upgrade each year, because it's nothing more than a screen for the iPhone. The software for the watch will actually be baked into iOS on your phone and the apps that are built specifically for the watch.