Apple officially begins selling automated iAds in bid to boost mobile advertising business

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 41
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    making it easier for advertisers to buy audiences.
    So can everyone now agree that Apple users are also a product too?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    droidftw wrote: »
    So can everyone now agree that Apple users are also a product too?

    You're asking for a consensus - of agreement ?
    Around here ? ;)

    Sadly, you may be right ...
  • Reply 23 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    roake wrote: »

    No, it's not... not if you are implying that we need to tolerate loss of our privacy for the "greater good" of destroying Google.  Privacy should never be willingly surrendered, for any reason.  If you are just stating that Apple is going to do some annoying things until Google is bankrupt, well, if it generates revenue, it will never stop.

    All public corporations, including Apple, are in it for the money; they have a duty to their stockholders and the bank accounts of their executives.  It's true that Apple earns their money in a way that is less controversial than many other companies, but that is primarily just due to their business model (selling luxury hardware/devices); it's easy for Apple to take the high road because that road is going in their general direction anyway.  But I wouldn't believe for a second that Apple wouldn't start cutting throats if it meant their bottom line.

    Never surrender privacy or freedom, not for an instant, not for any reason.
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/2850772/google-would-you-pay-to-not-see-ads-on-favorite-websites.html
  • Reply 24 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    gatorguy wrote: »

    Interesting.
    Google Flawgic takes a new spin.
    Making money by NOT advertising. lol
  • Reply 25 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    robm wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Google Flawgic takes a new spin.
    Making money by NOT advertising. lol
    Perhaps sometimes it's not just about the money. Personally I hope that folks make it successful and the ads and requisite user data mining is reduced at least. In reality I think too many folks talk the talk but the walk isn't for them. I'm afraid most still want free and won't pay to play, leaving no real option for site owners and providers other than even more intrusive and effective data mining to pay for it.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post



    I hope Apple can finally get some momentum with iAds. This is a great growth business that has gone almost nowhere

     

    Maybe not until Apple rolls out their "real" TV solution.

    When I saw that first Nissan Leaf iAd, I instantly thought "Wow.  That would be perfect for TV."

    And I still think iAd was designed for TV from day 1.

     

    I'm pretty sure that video-based iAds can be configured to be non-skippable, and if it isn't already non-skippable it should be just a SMOP (small matter of programming).  This guarantees that 100% of, say, Apple TV viewers watching "free TV" content will receive an ad impression if nothing else.  Even if they don't actually drill down into the product content, the TV show they were watching will stop until they click down into or dismiss the iAd.

     

    Compare that with whatever percentage of DirecTV / TiVo actually receive ad impressions.  I skip over ads with the 30-second advance button all the time.  So which would generate more revenue for Apple?  Traditional skippable commercials or non-skippable iAds?  You get one guess.

     

    Users who don't want to be interrupted with iAds while binge-watching Breaking Bad could pay for the privilege.  But Apple will need to provide far more value-add than just "no iAds".  They'll need to completely modernize the TV viewing experience.  No more 68-button remotes, no more 1- 2- 3- and 4-digit channel numbers, no more navigating through on-screen keyboards, no more wasteful DVR recording of content that already exists on  servers.  And maybe no more "channels" or any of that other 20th century branding and silo-ing and lock-in.  Just a conversation with Siri about what you want to watch.

  • Reply 27 of 41
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

    ...non-skippable iAds?


     

    Eh, I don’t like this idea. I DO like the idea that Video iAds would be interactive. If you could play a little game in an ad or get more information than a normal ad could give you, that’s value-added enough that people would stick around.

     

    SHARING ADS WITH FRIENDS.

     

    Apple could make ads good enough that you could share them with any of your friends on iOS/OS X. Imagine that. People willingly looking at ads, capturing the sheer, mind-numbing, stupidity-bordering-on-illness of social networking. 

  • Reply 28 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Eh, I don’t like this idea. I DO like the idea that Video iAds would be interactive. If you could play a little game in an ad or get more information than a normal ad could give you, that’s value-added enough that people would stick around.

     

    SHARING ADS WITH FRIENDS.

     

    Apple could make ads good enough that you could share them with any of your friends on iOS/OS X. Imagine that. People willingly looking at ads, capturing the sheer, mind-numbing, stupidity-bordering-on-illness of social networking. 


     

    I should have defined "non-skippable."  You'd always see the iAd, your content would stop, and that guarantees 100% "ad impressions."  But you could just click to cancel it and continue watching your show.  Or you could drill down into it and get lost in the wonder of whatever the product is.   (And maybe you could instantly buy it with Apple Pay.)

     

    But yeah, it would be nice to see cool ads as opposed crappy ads.  

    Maybe we could rate them + or -, and only the most popular iAds get shown.

    And every year the most popular iAds would win an award.  Kind of like the Apple Design Award at WWDC.

  • Reply 29 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

     

    All public corporations, including Apple, are in it for the money; they have a duty to their stockholders and the bank accounts of their executives.  It's true that Apple earns their money in a way that is less controversial than many other companies, but that is primarily just due to their business model (selling luxury hardware/devices); it's easy for Apple to take the high road because that road is going in their general direction anyway.  But I wouldn't believe for a second that Apple wouldn't start cutting throats if it meant their bottom line.


    When they were a small company it was easy to ignore the additional money that could come from ads. But now that they are huge, they have a large customer base and advertisers would pay a lot for access to that. Over time we will see Apple's principles crumble and they will give away more and more of their customer's privacy.

  • Reply 30 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    ascii wrote: »
    Over time we will see Apple's principles crumble and they will give away more and more of their customer's privacy.

    Aww jeez - I hope not !
    I trust that their focus is and always is in the fundamental principles underlying in marketing theory.
    That the products they produce for market are what the market is willing to pay for. (simplified for the sake of brevity)

    Apples willingness to protect security of their users is an indication of that, despite NSA wails.
    I don't like the intrusiveness of advertising BUT accept the need for it.
    Intelligent advertising - err I can live with, unwillingly, but I can accept.
    Dumb spamming is an altogether different beast and should be limited simply because of the bandwidth it consumes.

    I don't think that Apple will compromise in any way, or will need to as things stand at the moment ( unless there's some legislative change,)
    0.02c
  • Reply 31 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    robm wrote: »
    Aww jeez - I hope not !
    I trust that their focus is and always is in the fundamental principles underlying in marketing theory.
    That the products they produce for market are what the market is willing to pay for. (simplified for the sake of brevity)

    Apples willingness to protect security of their users is an indication of that, despite NSA wails.
    I don't like the intrusiveness of advertising BUT accept the need for it.

    Why does Apple need to start "selling you" as it's often put here, and literally to the highest bidder. If it's all about you as a customer what does this do for you? What does it add to the iOS experience?

    It's understood that folks get a whole lot of free services from Google (gmail, search, office apps, Youtube, maps, news, Google Drive, calendar) paid for by advertisers anxious to sell their products to you. What is Apple giving you in return? Nothing I can see.

    So again why do you accept the need for it, especially since you consider it intrusive? Why aren't you raging against the machine?
  • Reply 32 of 41

    I'm quite confused how this iAd works.

  • Reply 33 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    masterchat wrote: »
    I'm quite confused how this iAd works.
    As I understand it Apple is creating an ad exchange service. You as an Apple user are put into various pots that include include other Apple users with similar profiles. In one instance you might be grouped with others making $100K-$140K per year, working in lending, renting their home, single, no children, living in the Southwest, traveling several times a year and interested in photography. When you enter Apple's ecosystem (open your browser, start an appropriate app) the ad exchange service is notified that you're there and advertisers can bid on you for the opportunity to present you with an ad for a product you might be interested in. That bidding happens in micro-seconds.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    amoradala wrote: »
    I remember when my kids were toddlers, there was a Disney app that launched an advert if they touched a 'Mickey Mouse' graphic.
    Steve jobs decided that no adverts were to be used on apps targeting children.

    Sadly, adverts now seem to be back in childrens apps.
    That is a shame.

    You should at least be able to pay to get rid of them.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As I understand it Apple is creating an ad exchange service. You as an Apple user are put into various pots that include include other Apple users with similar profiles. In one instance you might be grouped with others making $100-$140 per year, working in lending, renting their home, single, no children, living in the Southwest, traveling several times a year and interested in photography. When you enter Apple's ecosystem (open your browser, start an appropriate app) the ad exchange service is notified that you're there and advertisers can bid on you for the opportunity to present you with an ad for a product you might be interested in. That bidding happens in micro-seconds.

    Would s person who makes only "$100-$140 per year" be a worthwhile target for advertising? Gotcha! ????
  • Reply 36 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why does Apple need to start "selling you" as it's often put here, and literally to the highest bidder. If it's all about you as a customer what does this do for you? What does it add to the iOS experience?

    It's understood that folks get a whole lot of free services from Google (gmail, search, office apps, Youtube, maps, news, Google Drive, calendar) paid for by advertisers anxious to sell their products to you. What is Apple giving you in return? Nothing I can see.

    So again why do you accept the need for it, especially since you consider it intrusive? Why aren't you raging against the machine?

    There are some things that are worth making a song and dance about and others that are not.
    It's easy to say Google make a whole bunch of apps free to mitigate their blatant data mining of users.
    Apple makes a whole bunch of apps free as well. No need to list them all but iCloud delivers those. Oh and then there's the operating system .....

    As part of the baby boomer demographic, I'm old enough to know that to rage against the machine is like pissing into the wind ... about as much use as a cow with machine gun :D
  • Reply 37 of 41
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post



    about as much use as a cow with machine gun image

     

    image

  • Reply 38 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    LMAO
  • Reply 39 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,245member
    Would s person who makes only "$100-$140 per year" be a worthwhile target for advertising? Gotcha! ????

    'k. :D

    Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 41

    I don't have any doubt about the wonderful service of Apple.

Sign In or Register to comment.