Apple's A8 SoC reportedly capable of 4K video output, may pave way for ultra high-resolution Apple T

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    To all those doubting 4K being worth it, check this out, even on a non 4K monitor the results put 1080p to shame. Viewed at 4K on a standard 27" Mac cinema display it is breathtaking.

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/4K-Chimei-inn-60mbps.mp4

You can download the video if your connection isn't fast enough to play on-line and mess around with it. It loads into FCPro X easily enough.
  • Reply 42 of 77

What good is it if the camera doesn't shoot 4k. There are already 20 phones out there that shoot 4k.

• Reply 43 of 77
    Each passing year without an Apple TV update makes it more possible that the next gen ATV could support 4K, even if not enabled right away. Think about it: at launch, a 4K ATV would have to have 4K content ready, updates to the iTunes Stores, the A8X chip, and at least HDMI 1.4, and possibly more internal storage. My opinion, at least.
  • Reply 44 of 77

Probably. I need at least one Composite input for my LaserDisc player.

Unless Disney releases the unedited versions of the Original Trilogy on Blu-ray.

Even then I'll still probably keep the LD around.

If you're going to all that trouble you should likely go about the best practice -- get yourself a quality receiver, which have all the random inputs, and simply output to your TV set via hdmi. That's how it's done.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

4K displays on phone would be plain idiotic and purely a marketing checkmark item

LG does seem to be full of idiots these days. Still, when they made them, their dumbphones were the best phones on the market.

• Reply 46 of 77

Sorry about going back on topic but:

I reckon the A8 chip is not only downscaling, it's probably processing every other frame.

Until someone airplays the 4K video from the iDevice to a 4K TV, does a screen grab and compares it to the same video played through the TV, I'll not be totally convinced. Seems like a sly advert for the app.

• Reply 47 of 77

What I really want to know is, where is the iPac?  ;)

• Reply 48 of 77
    To all those doubting 4K being worth it, check this out, even on a non 4K monitor the results put 1080p to shame. Viewed at 4K on a standard 27" Mac cinema display it is breathtaking.

You can download the video if your connection isn't fast enough to play on-line and mess around with it. It loads into FCPro X easily enough.

OMG ... That looks amazing on my iMac 27" 5K!
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In a window on your iMac 27" 5K 

• Reply 50 of 77
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Each passing year without an Apple TV update makes it more possible that the next gen ATV could support 4K, even if not enabled right away. Think about it: at launch, a 4K ATV would have to have 4K content ready, updates to the iTunes Stores, the A8X chip, and at least HDMI 1.4, and possibly more internal storage. My opinion, at least.

Google's new 100 dollar Chrome Player already supports 4K out, content at this resolution is another story but I'm sure it's in the works. Android tablets are also starting to support 4K, the Nvidia Shield via it's built in HDMI out can even handle gaming at this resolution and no it doesn't lag, Modern Combat 5 at 4K is still very playable with 45+ FPS. I'm still fine using 1080P for the foreseeable future, 4K is interesting on a monitor though. I can't wait to play with my Lenovo ThinkVision 4K Touch monitor with built in Nvidia K1 for the stand alone multimedia and gaming mode, so cool. If Apple decides to support 4K on their mobile devices I would like to see them use a built in Display Port, I can't stand dongles.

I don't own any of these TV devices and nor do I think I will ever, I prefer having a Mac Mini or ChromeBox connected instead. At home most of our TV's have, except for one, which has a Mac Mini,  have a ChromeBox connected, their fantastic for this purpose, we use Zattoo for TV which streams it's content in 1080P and as you know I rip all of our DVD's, BluRays to Google Drive and OneDrive which are also streamed in 1080P.

• Reply 51 of 77
    mechanic wrote: »

How about Apples own CDN network they just launched with over 10 times more bandwidth than they currently need? 
    Why do they need 10 times more bandwidth than what they currently use?  Hint 4k movies with H.265.  The infrastructure is already there.
    Plus they operate 6 of the largest new data centers in the world. And they are building more.  Along with that CDN they already have isp contracts in place for large data pushing.

Please identify the locations of the six data centers and the additional data centers Apple is building. The only data centers of which I am aware are:
    • Santa Clara, California (estimated to be to about 11,000 square feet of data center floor space) seven year lease signed in April 2011
    • Newark, California (108,000 square feet) acquired in 2006
    • Maiden, North Carolina (500,000 square feet with 184,000 square feet of actual data center floor space)
    • Prineville, Oregon (projected for 338,000 square feet, opened in May 2012)
    • Reno, Nevada (opened in December 2012)
    • Hong Kong ("unprecedented scale") groundbreaking was rumored 1Q2013 for a 2015 opening (nothing was ever rumored about this site following the initial report in September 2012 from 9to5Mac)
    • Eemshaven, The Netherlands (Apple is rumored to have purchased 98.8 acres in the rapidly growing data center technology cluster)
    • Altoona, Iowa (rumored data center is now known to not be an Apple initiative)

Only three of the Apple data centers are some of the largest data centers known: Maiden, North Carolina; Prineville, Oregon and; Reno, Nevada.

I have seen reports that Apple has data centers in Austin, TX; Cork, Ireland; Elk Grove, CA (US) and; Munich, Germany but those reports were misinterpretations of Apple's environmental reports.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Most of them are no better, if not worse than than Plasmas at $800 in all quality metrics... Only trumped in resolution. Its like some friends showing me their super-duper LG smart TV (horrible black levels!) and then being blown away by the image of my 3 year old Samsung mid range Plasma. 

Too bad profit margins for the manufacturers were so bad on plasmas that nobody wants to make them (only LG does them). You can't get a better bang for the buck than those things.

If they could fix the durability of OLED pixels and down the price to $1500 for a 1080P TV, then that would be a good successor to plasma. Right now I think all 4K LCD tvs are a joke for someone who is used to a good quality imagine (which seemingly is no one since people think their 20MP smart phones make good enough pictures...).

The problem is that the average consumer hasn't ever seen true cinema quality television.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have the 5K too, and that clip is quite amazing. I've seen that same demo clip at Infocomm, but looking at it up close is really impressive. I paused it on a frame of the girl's face, and I noticed her irises looked kind of fake. Contacts to make her eyes look bigger? Googled it, and sure enough: http://www.mon-kit-beaute.com/les-circles-lens-ou-comment-avoir-un-regard-de-chat-c1200x16776

I had no idea those things existed. Creepy.

I guess that's another aspect of 4K : seeing things you never saw before (and that you might even miss in real life). For better or worse!

• Reply 54 of 77
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Again Apple keeps shooting itself in the foot because without content your nothing. Amazon, Netflix etc are all producing their own shows like House of Cards etc. Hollywood and the cable companies are not going to give it to Apple in fact they've taken more away over the years by excluding ITunes Digital copies with Blu ray purchases. And speaking of which , the "bag of hurt" called Bluray keeps chugging along just fine. Apple is late to the HD game. Sony and Microsoft have been on it for years.

I have a brand new 4K Sony since July ( got tired of the wait for something supposedly "cracked" 4 years ago) and love it. I have a bluray player that upconverts to 4k and I stream 4K Netflix. Life is good.

The current Apple TV device with 4K compatibility would be sweet though. But when????
  • Reply 55 of 77

Unless Disney releases the unedited versions of the Original Trilogy on Blu-ray.

You mean that beautiful black boxed 3 film set with the book?
  • Reply 56 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm guessing you are talking about Star Wars.

One option would be to acquire a digital copy of those movies (digitize yourself or find something), host the movies on your Mac and use AirPlay to broadcast to an Apple TV (refurbs are $75). One benefit is not having to flip discs.

You could then pitch your LaserDisc player.

• Reply 57 of 77
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Again Apple keeps shooting itself in the foot because without content your nothing. Amazon, Netflix etc are all producing their own shows like House of Cards etc. Hollywood and the cable companies are not going to give it to Apple in fact they've taken more away over the years by excluding ITunes Digital copies with Blu ray purchases. And speaking of which , the "bag of hurt" called Bluray keeps chugging along just fine. Apple is late to the HD game. Sony and Microsoft have been on it for years.

I have a brand new 4K Sony since July ( got tired of the wait for something supposedly "cracked" 4 years ago) and love it. I have a bluray player that upconverts to 4k and I stream 4K Netflix. Life is good.

The current Apple TV device with 4K compatibility would be sweet though. But when????

Your post is a random grab bag of I-can-run-Apple-betterism, glass-half-emptyism and sky-is-fallingism.

Stop, take a deep breath, think coherently, and try again.

1. Do you want Apple to become a Hollywood studio? Because they'll just end up being a pipeline for their own content, or didn't you think that through?
    2. The whole point of digital downloads to rid yourself of physical optical media. Why should you lament the loss of iTunes download coupons in your Blu-Ray discs when you can just buy the movies from the iTunes Store? I can buy Guardians of the Galaxy right now and start watching it immediately on my AppleTV. I don't need a disc.
    3. Apple isn't late to the HD game, Apple is early to the HD movies in the cloud game. Sony and Microsoft are still selling optical disc players like it's 2007.
    4. Upscaling Blu-Ray players is a stop gap, like line-doubling old NTSC signals. Everyone is late to the 4K game.

To me, the fact you're settling for upscaling Blu-Ray players instead of demanding true 4K from Sony and Microsoft while criticizing Apple over some randomly chosen imaginary failing speaks volumes about your biases.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I have the 5K too, and that clip is quite amazing. I've seen that same demo clip at Infocomm, but looking at it up close is really impressive. I paused it on a frame of the girl's face, and I noticed her irises looked kind of fake. Contacts to make her eyes look bigger? Googled it, and sure enough: http://www.mon-kit-beaute.com/les-circles-lens-ou-comment-avoir-un-regard-de-chat-c1200x16776

I had no idea those things existed. Creepy.

I guess that's another aspect of 4K : seeing things you never saw before (and that you might even miss in real life). For better or worse!

There are other ways of enlarging your iris! :smokey:
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

The quality of that 4K is currently worse quality than when they record in 1080P in most lightling conditions, and identical in perfect lighting condition. For the same reasons high MP cameras are a bad idea on a phone.

Though 4K recording is less restricted by physics on the phone than 10MP+ photos (it doesn't need a very large resolution sensor) so there is a chance it could be decent (but not great) eventually.  The size of the files though makes them a bitch to handle, process and get in and out of the phone.

4K displays on phone would be plain idiotic and purely a marketing checkmark item (just like anything above 440PPI (600PPI Pentile) on a phone is pure stupidity. A 4K display on a phone would need to go above that unless your phone is 8 inch... (wouldn't surprise me at all if a 8 inch "phone" comes out).

Not at all - I merely want an Apple TV upgrade- because its running on a ANCIENT processor RIGHT NOW with outdated technology, the A5 - as the article itself says.

And by the way - Sony already DOES sell a 4K media server available NOW with 4K movies purchased from their cloud.

So while I'm enjoying my state-of-the-art home theater viewing with 4K streaming, blu-ray quality and 7.1 sound you keep convincing yourself that Apple isn't behind the eight ball on this one. Enjoy!

And keep me posted when Apple let's you upgrade all your SD purchases to HD too without repurchasing them all over again.

• Reply 60 of 77
    pazuzu wrote: »

Not at all - I merely want an Apple TV upgrade- because its running on a ANCIENT processor RIGHT NOW with outdated technology, the A5 - as the article itself says.
    And by the way - Sony already DOES sell a 4K media server available NOW with 4K movies purchased from their cloud.
    So while I'm enjoying my state-of-the-art home theater viewing with 4K streaming, blu-ray quality and 7.1 sound you keep convincing yourself that Apple isn't behind the eight ball on this one. Enjoy!
    And keep me posted when Apple let's you upgrade all your SD purchases to HD too without repurchasing them all over again.

So all this whining about Apple being behind and you don't once mention that this device from Sony costs $700 and that it only works with Sony 4K UHD sets, which are already expensive for 4K UHD sets. You also fail to mention the quality of their catalogue or the low amount of data per pixel that makes unconverted 1080p Blu-ray look as good or better, according to reviews from last year. Gee, how is it that Apple isn't bending over backwards to release a $4000 AppleTV that comes with it's own TV?¡