How to make the most of Apple's HealthKit in iOS 8 with compatible apps and accessories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    tyler82 wrote: »
    hillstones wrote: »

You pretty much nailed it.  Without your iPhone, it won't do much.  You need to recharge it daily, or it won't work when the battery is dead.  I don't need to answer a phone call on my watch, I would rather have a private conversation.  I don't track my fitness, and I have never seen anyone wear a FitBit band either.  I already exercise regularly, so I don't need to track what I do.  I will never use the Health app on the iPhone.  I also prefer to use my Harmony remote to control my home theater, not my watch.

Will Apple sell millions of them, probably.  Will the fanatics hate your comment, yes, it would seem so, but they cannot give a valid reason why they need an Apple Watch when they already have an iPhone that does more than the watch.  Exercise and fitness fanatics will probably buy it, but they still need to have their iPhone with them to make it work.  The cell phone market was already well established when Apple entered that space, but not true with the smart watch.  That space has been a failure so far with the current offerings, so I am sure there will be many that take the "wait and see" approach to see what happens before throwing down $350+ for a watch they may not need.

I'm a fitness fanatic and I see the Jawbone UP3 at $150 as a far better investment. From what I've read the Apple Watch sport isn't even waterproof, what good is it for athletes then? I'm a triathlete and a swimmer. I suppose there will be water proof cases for the watch, with an additional $50+ dent to your wallet. 

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people will buy it just to have it with no real need or use for it (Something about a fool and his money keeps ringing in my head, lol). But I'm a more discerning customer, and I will be passing on the watch. If it had it's own abilities without have to have the phone and it was waterproof, I would probably give it a second chance. 

My new 5s is an excellent product and does everything the Watch does, except check your heart rate. It is a great investment for fitness activity and is far more versatile. 

The watch is total fashion, minimal utility. 

God I miss Steve.

Yeah. There was no focus to the Apple Watch demo. You just know that Jobs would have nailed it. He would have concentrated on a few features and poured his love on them in a simple and effective real-world use demo with the Watch actually on his wrist.

As it is, we came away with more questions than answers, and without a sense of what it was the Watch would do better than anything else.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I'm a fitness fanatic and I see the Jawbone UP3 at $150 as a far better investment. From what I've read the Apple Watch sport isn't even waterproof, what good is it for athletes then? I'm a triathlete and a swimmer. I suppose there will be water proof cases for the watch, with an additional $50+ dent to your wallet. 

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people will buy it just to have it with no real need or use for it (Something about a fool and his money keeps ringing in my head, lol). But I'm a more discerning customer, and I will be passing on the watch. If it had it's own abilities without have to have the phone and it was waterproof, I would probably give it a second chance. 

My new 5s is an excellent product and does everything the Watch does, except check your heart rate. It is a great investment for fitness activity and is far more versatile. 

God I miss Steve.

You think Steve didn't care about fashion.  You should watch this;

• Reply 23 of 112
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

You think Steve didn't care about fashion.  You should watch this;

Fashion and design are very important to me too. Steve cared about utility *and* function incorporated into design. I think he would have made the Watch as an independent device with built in cellular antenna and wi-fi. That way, non- Apple customers could be brought into the eco system and it would have the halo affect. Cause right now, having to buy a brand new iPhone as well as the watch, I don't think Apple will be converting anybody to their side with it. 

• Reply 24 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OT: does anyone know how to turn off shake to undo? It drives me f'ng crazy but I don't know where you turn it off.

I just used the music app for the first time in a long time and boy is it buggy as hell. Lags everywhere, and randomly switches to album cover view with no way to get out. Also I noticed that not all my Beatles songs were showing up in the music app so I went to iTunes and saw they were listed under purchased music "not on this iPhone". I downloaded them but when I go back to the music app they don't show up under their respective album, they show up under an album called "The Beatles Boxed Set" with the "Please Please Me" album as cover art. Good god Apple needs to rethink iTunes and the music app. Thankfully I'm a Spotify user so I'm hardly ever in the music app. If Spotify had the Beatles catalog I'd never use the crappy music app.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    I have tried a few run tracking apps to go along with my iPhone 5s and the m7coproccessor. However I have found that they all seem to REQUIRE GPS to work. Problem for me is I run trails in areas where I'm guaranteed to lose/not have GPS signal.

Is anyone aware of any fitness tracking apps that can just tie into the m7 coprocessor data/HealthKit data without needing to turn on and use my GPS data? I just want to know distance/time figures I don't need to know my route I already know my route.
  • Reply 26 of 112

Fashion and design are very important to me too. Steve cared about utility *and* function incorporated into design. I think he would have made the Watch as an independent device with built in cellular antenna and wi-fi. That way, non- Apple customers could be brought into the eco system and it would have the halo affect. Cause right now, having to buy a brand new iPhone as well as the watch, I don't think Apple will be converting anybody to their side with it. 

Er, right now the rumors are one day battery life. I can only imagine what that would be if the watch had GPS, cellular and wifi. Don't forget iPod originally launched as Mac only. But the reason they brought iTunes to Windows was because iiPod was dependent on the PC for syncing and most people owned Windows PCs. In fact there were rumors that Steve didn't want to bring iTunes to Windows and had to be pushed into it by his executive team.

I won't be surprised if future versions of ?Watch have more independence from the phone. But at the end of the day Apple is a hardware company and if they can get people to switch to iPhone because they really like/want the watch that's a win-win for Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 112

Seems like Apple had an "ugly app icon" contest when they chose the icon for this app.

Also, the icon also looks like a folder with only one item in it.

• Reply 28 of 112
    [QUOTE]Originally Posted by grblade View Post

I want an app that lets me easily edit the data that has already been input into the Health app...
    [/QUOTE]

This is not possible. An app can change or delete only records that it added to Health. An app cannot change records that Health created itself, or that came from another app. I've just programmed syncing with Health in GymGoal.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    What is it about adding BlueTooth to a device that triples the price of it?
  • Reply 30 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

But then Steve would have nixed it because of the 2 hr battery. A fitness band is a niche product. The time has not come for an independent iWatch which is both a fashion item, health device and fitness device. One day, perhaps, but not yet.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    Cook specifically says, "Apple Watch requires an iPhone".  They never explained what the Apple Watch could do, or could not do, without a link to the iPhone.

1) Right, because that's how you set it up, like setting up ?Pay, but your iPhone doesn't need to be present for using ?Pay.

2) The guy that looked like Dilbert talked what ?Watch can do without being tethered to an iPhone, which included music playback.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    You pretty much nailed it.  Without your iPhone, it won't do much.  You need to recharge it daily, or it won't work when the battery is dead.  I don't need to answer a phone call on my watch, I would rather have a private conversation.  I don't track my fitness, and I have never seen anyone wear a FitBit band either.  I already exercise regularly, so I don't need to track what I do.  I will never use the Health app on the iPhone.  I also prefer to use my Harmony remote to control my home theater, not my watch.

Will Apple sell millions of them, probably.  Will the fanatics hate your comment, yes, it would seem so, but they cannot give a valid reason why they need an Apple Watch when they already have an iPhone that does more than the watch.  Exercise and fitness fanatics will probably buy it, but they still need to have their iPhone with them to make it work.  The cell phone market was already well established when Apple entered that space, but not true with the smart watch.  That space has been a failure so far with the current offerings, so I am sure there will be many that take the "wait and see" approach to see what happens before throwing down $350+ for a watch they may not need.

so you do not like green eggs and ham?

me, I see a lot of potential value here -- something much smaller & lighter than an iPhone for jogging, wireless headphones iPod, something I can make purchases from without my wallet on a jog (did you read Square is going to come out with an apple pay register?), and an activity tracker for my seditary office life.
  • Reply 33 of 112

God I miss Steve.

were you missing steve when he released an iPod that required a Mac to work? or when he released a smartphone with no third party apps? or just missing that part of your brain today?

ahhh, you are "a more discerning customer" -- that explains everything...we are but worms.

it is patently false that the 5s does everything the watch does except heart rate. it can't even do elevation tracking.

it's clear that this is the first gen, and that apple likely has plans for it that exceed what's possible today. just like the iPod. just like the iPhone. yaaaay pattern recognition!
  • Reply 34 of 112
    The point of ?Watch is to augment the phone. It's one of convenience really. I'm sure future versions will have GPS once they can get acceptable battery life with it. There was an ?Watch hackathon this weekend in the Bay Area so obviously developers are interested in building apps for the device. www.hackathon.watch

iPad had plenty of naysayers when it came out. Many people called it just a big iPod touch. It was not universally accepted as a product people needed when it was first announced. And honestly, the first 10 minutes of the iPad keynote was great but the rest of it was a major bore. Unless you think Steve Jobs sitting in a chair navigating to a website that couldn't display flash content was exciting. ;)
  • Reply 35 of 112

it doesn't take a brain surgeon to surmise that the watch will one day be untethered from the phone when it's reached more maturity in capabilities.

you're rewriting history by channeling the Jobs ghost. ipod was Mac only, FireWire only, and they had to convince him to release iTunes for windows!
  • Reply 36 of 112
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    were you missing steve when he released an iPod that required a Mac to work? or when he released a smartphone with no third party apps? or just missing that part of your brain today?

ahhh, you are "a more discerning customer" -- that explains everything...we are but worms.

it is patently false that the 5s does everything the watch does except heart rate. it can't even do elevation tracking.

it's clear that this is the first gen, and that apple likely has plans for it that exceed what's possible today. just like the iPod. just like the iPhone. yaaaay pattern recognition!

The original iPhone was Edge only and had no native 3rd party apps. Steve Jobs hawked web apps as the way for 3rd parties to develop for iPhone, under the guise of keeping iPhone "reliable and secure". That certainly didn't stop iPhone from becoming massively popular. ?Watch will most likely have native apps sooner than iPhone got them.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    rogifan wrote: »
    OT: does anyone know how to turn off shake to undo? It drives me f'ng crazy but I don't know where you turn it off.

I just used the music app for the first time in a long time and boy is it buggy as hell. Lags everywhere, and randomly switches to album cover view with no way to get out. Also I noticed that not all my Beatles songs were showing up in the music app so I went to iTunes and saw they were listed under purchased music "not on this iPhone". I downloaded them but when I go back to the music app they don't show up under their respective album, they show up under an album called "The Beatles Boxed Set" with the "Please Please Me" album as cover art. Good god Apple needs to rethink iTunes and the music app. Thankfully I'm a Spotify user so I'm hardly ever in the music app. If Spotify had the Beatles catalog I'd never use the crappy music app.

Like untold millions, I use Music on my phone very regularly and have never experienced any bugs with it. nor lag. therefore it's not buggy as hell.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    The original iPhone was Edge only and had no native 3rd party apps. Steve Jobs hawked web apps as the way for 3rd parties to develop for iPhone, under the guise of keeping iPhone "reliable and secure". That certainly didn't stop iPhone from becoming massively popular. ?Watch will most likely have native apps sooner than iPhone got them.

exactly. I don't understand how many times Apple has to do the same thing before people get it. they are the poster boy of iterative improvement.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Like untold millions, I use Music on my phone very regularly and have never experienced any bugs with it. nor lag. therefore it's not buggy as hell.

What version of iOS are you running? I'm on the latest version of iOS 8. I'm not imagining what I'm experiencing. Maybe it's just an issue with older phones? I'm still using a 5s.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    Steve Jobs hawked web apps as the way for 3rd parties to develop for iPhone, under the guise of keeping iPhone "reliable and secure".

That wasn't a guise, he simply didn't state they working on a solution for 3rd-party apps. It's quite possible at that time that they didn't know how long it would all take to work out before Xcode, the frameworks and APIs, all the documentation, and App Store could be put together in a competent solution, which also includes being secure. Look at how mobileSafari's WebKit was able to run lower-level code than the version WebKit they had to use. That was about security.
    ?Watch will most likely have native apps sooner than iPhone got them.

Considering they mentioned that at the event I would think so. I think that's the more important aspect of ?Watch. The high design and quality are required to enter this market, but 100s of thousands of great apps are going to make it stick.