Review: BrydgeAir keyboard makes your iPad Air feel like a 'MacBook mini'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am sure your wife will be super happy. This looks like a great product but I can't help but think the better solution would have been to ditch the mbp and iPad and buy a mba. (And ideally pair that with a iPhone 6+.) but either way will be good.

mba is great, I have one, but since i have unlimited plan on both my iPhone and iPad Air, I can't do tether, so the Amba sucks a bit for traveling, except when I'm in a WiFi hotspot. Many of us that won't give up the unlimited plan are in this boat.

• Reply 22 of 42

There's an incredible deal this week on a quality iPad Leather Case with Bluetooth keyboard for $20 (regularly $59) -  at --  T a b l e t M a x x

which also features a half of dozen new Tablets that launch in November worth checking out...

• Reply 23 of 42
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    I read this article by swiping my fingers over about an inch of space on the brilliant Apple trackpad in my Macbook Air. To do the same on this iPad/Brydge setup would require unnaturally reaching to the screen to swipe. I can't help but think of these iPad/keyboard setups as a big step backwards in design, it leaves you with a clunkier tablet and a dumber laptop, why not get the Macbook Air instead? The iPad may be Apple's newest, available product, but it's not its best.
  • Reply 24 of 42

There's a great deal this week on an  iPad Leather Case with Bluetooth keyboard for $20 (regularly $59) - available through Tab l e t M a x x --

which also offers a half of dozen other new tablets released in November worth reviewing... including a sale on the new Ramos technology, i-series tablets, which Intel corp. partnered with this year - one model is the Ramos i9s ($240) -- powered by one of Intel's latest Silvermont-based 64-bit processors, with a premium build quality & features that compare to the Nexus 9 at nearly half the price...

• Reply 25 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

mba is great, I have one, but since i have unlimited plan on both my iPhone and iPad Air, I can't do tether, so the Amba sucks a bit for traveling, except when I'm in a WiFi hotspot. Many of us that won't give up the unlimited plan are in this boat.
    Jailbreak an iOS device, problem solved
  • Reply 26 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    nick29 wrote: »
    I read this article by swiping my fingers over about an inch of space on the brilliant Apple trackpad in my Macbook Air. To do the same on this iPad/Brydge setup would require unnaturally reaching to the screen to swipe. I can't help but think of these iPad/keyboard setups as a big step backwards in design, it leaves you with a clunkier tablet and a dumber laptop, why not get the Macbook Air instead? The iPad may be Apple's newest, available product, but it's not its best.
    One thing I really don't understand is keyboard for tablets. It defeats the purpose of touch screen to begin with. Apple would've made it if they found it necessary. If I type a lot, I would get MBA.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

I'm so glad I bought a MBP 13" Retina this time last year instead of an iPadAIr. It's probably one of the best Apple products I've ever owned. It's light, super fast and has a perfect display. The Mac's OS is so much better than iOS too. I have an iPad 3 and refused to turn it into a surface which defeats its entire purpose. It's basically been turned into my magazine/newspaper reader.

If you have that much typing to do- the Mac laptop is simply the best solution.

• Reply 28 of 42
    I so want this... for my iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

So which one's better guys, this one or the clamcase?

I have it on good authority that after the resounding success of the surface, MS is partnering with a so far unnamed car manufacturer to create an off road vehicle that's only meant to be driven on asphalt. Ballsy, unprecedented, and dare I say, innovative move. Kudos to them. 

Oh, and the wheels are sold separately. 

• Reply 30 of 42
    nagromme wrote: »
    I'd love to type in portrait mode--that's something I'd want from any keyboard. Also super-EASY removal because more than half the time I wouldn't want a keyboard at all. I'm skeptical of anything that grips tightly.

But I'm sure there's a niche for this--glad to see it served.

Just use a BT Mac keyboard (or any BT keyboard) and iPad stand. I have a Logitech keyboard that comes in a case that doubles as a stand. You can type in portrait or landscape. This is more of desktop solution though as you cannot use it on your lap.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    My Brydge has been working well for me for almost 2 years. Native iPad apps may not typically need a keyboard but when I am on the road and need to ssh in to a system or grab some type of remote access having a real keyboard that doesn't cost me space is ideal. If only iOS allowed a mouse device as well it would be perfect. Remote desktops need a level of control that touching the screen doesn't have without excessive zooming.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    pazuzu wrote: »
    The Mac's OS is so much better than iOS too.

... for a laptop. iOS is better than OS X for a tablet. That's why Apple don't use the same OS on touch screens and laptops and desktops. Unlike others we could mention. :smokey:
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Why does no one mention the lack of a mouse....To cut and paste and many other functions I really need a mouse to be really productive...Will the iPad Pro address this?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I was one of the first Kickstarter supporters of Brydge and when I received it, it had a non-functional/partially functional key. I contacted them several times and never did get a replacement. I did take it to Europe in October to use it and my iPad 2 to run a travel blog. It worked well, except for the space key. I had to really hit it hard for it to work. Other than that issue, I like the Brydge. The batter lasts a very long time; the BT works flawlessly. I have even used it to talk to my MBA when I had it hooked to my big Apple Monitor.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    What am I missing??? Connect your iPad with an Apple wireless keyboard for $65, you may not get all the bells and whistles but the price is right. You probably already own one so the solution is even less expensive. When we as Apple fans pay outrageous prices ($170) for ??? what, we're going to get even poorer solutions in the future for even more money.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Clamcase and the bridge all look like great products, they actually are great products to be exact. And also in the game is zagg's rugged iPad keyboard I recently noticed. http://www.zagg.com/keyboard-case/rugged-book-ipad-air

All add on, pay extra, keyboards that kick the shit out of MS's add on pay extra flimsy foldable crap that can't work as a laptop. Their only added "benefit" is a trackpad. I don't see any need for that personally. Even so, it's been documented that said trackpad doesn't even work as it should it's flimsy too. Here's a tip to MSFT: buy bridge, clamcase, zagg and integrate them you morons, since you can't even get to design an add on keyboard to your laptop that works great as a keyboard and functions like a case too... 

• Reply 37 of 42
    Very cool! However I have a hard time paying $170 for a keyboard when there are other good options like the Zagg backlit bluetooth keyboard for less than half the price. Even the Logitech keyboards are decent and half the price. I don't think the "tiny" speakers can make up for that price difference.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Apple Ipad Air really has great configuration. A perfectly designed keyboard and user-friendly touch of IPAD makes it awesome. It works like a laptop when a keyboard is attached to it, it seems like using a Macbook Mini. Appreciate the product as well as the review given here.
  • Reply 39 of 42

Apple Ipad Air really has great configuration. A perfectly designed keyboard and user-friendly touch of IPAD makes it awesome. It works like a laptop when a keyboard is attached to it, it seems like using a Macbook Mini. Appreciate the product as well as the review given here.

I had find one way without buying iPad, we  can use it.. check it - rentipad

• Reply 40 of 42
    I own the Clamcase and BrydgeAir for an iPad Air2. If the Clamcase had an illuminated keypad, high quality speakers and offered more color options, it would be the best iPad Air2 case/keyboard combo on the market. BrydgeAir is challenged in the following areas:

1) The speakers are great in concept but sound like a tin can.
    2) You need to purchase a separate protective case for your iPad, the most expensive part
    3) The charging ports are on opposite sides. If you rotate the iPad to the other direction so the ports are on the same side, it's not a natural feel
    4) You can't rotate the iPad 360 degrees while being mounted in the BrydgeAIr. You need to take it out of the U clips. The more times you remove your iPad, it stress, the silicon pads and they become ineffective.
    5) The U clips are not made for the iPad Air2 . First, the directions tell you remove the existing silicone pads and replace them with thicker ones. Not sure why the keyboard didn't come with the proper silicone pads. If the thicker pads don't work, then the directions tell you to bend the U clips closer together to narrow the gap, thus increasing friction to hold the iPad in place. Not sure why BrydgeAir sells a product they state is designed for the iPad Air2 when the purchaser needs to bend the U clips and install thicker silicone pads.
    6) The location of the two bluetooth synch bottons on the front are easily bumped when setting in your lap. Hence synching or de-synching unintentionally
    7) There is no indent on the front to easily open the case when shut