CRT with a stuck pixel?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I noticed this a while ago, but I thought i was crazy---but now it is driving me nuts... I have a stuck pixel on my built in iMac display... There is a distinctly green pixel about 2 inches up and 4 inches to the right on my screen...Am I crazy? is this possible? am I going to die of radiation from the CRT?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    It's not possible, but I have two CRTs with dead (black) pixels. No one has explained how they got there to me yet, I'm still awaiting an explanation...

• Reply 2 of 11
    Have you tried dusting them? LOL.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I have 2 dead pixels on my CRT too. Funnily though 1 is twice as big as the other. Do pixels change size over the width if a CRT? The big one is at the edge, small one in centre
  • Reply 4 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    What the hell causes that? A small bit on the inside of the display gets burned out or something?

What happens to these "dead" spots when you change resolutions?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    ithink

that the light inside gets dirty, spots on the light that scans across the screen... missing a specific spot on the screen. this is dummed down because i'm not sure of the specifics, but i believe thats the general idea, this is why it remains at the same size when you change resolutions.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yes, the screen inside the CRT has gotten a spec of dust or something on it and it blocking the beam. AFAIK, you can't fix it. Maybe hitting the side really hard or shaking it could knock it loose.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I just turned one of the CRTs here with a dead pixel off and unplugged it, and it still has a noticeable black spot in the screen.

(Same on the other one)

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: MacAgent ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Well @ least i'm not crazy...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just for kicks, get a magnet and wave it around the area with the dead pixel. see what happens.

if it's dust, it might have a charge and get moved by the magnet.

it would also show you if the dead spot will support color of any kind, as the magnet will warp color from the surrounding area.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    This happened on a Bang & Olufsen TV I received once. There is something behind the glass that is blocking the light... I think the way the B&O shop described it was that there is a screen behind the glass with holes punched through it, and one of the holes didn't get punched all the way through, hence, an apparent dead pixel. It's entirely possible, it's just a matter of whether or not Apple will replace it under warranty.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    They're at work, but I'll try that on Sunday when I'm there.

The odd thing is that they both worked perfectly when they were new...let me back up.

I work in a computer lab - there's one corner that the best equipment is usually in. At this one spot several years ago, we put one CRT. It got said dead pixel about a year after it was put there. Recently, we updated our lab to quicksilver G4s/new CRTs. We put a brand new 22" Diamondtron there, and it got this dead pixel within a week and a half. In the same spot! No other one got it.

This is probably a coincidence, but I felt like mentioning it.