Dropbox says OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite update resolves crashing issue, urges download

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2014
Following Apple's release of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite on Monday, Dropbox is sending emails to users confirming that the latest Mac maintenance update solves a rare crashing problem seen with apps integrated with Finder.

In the note, Dropbox urges users to download Apple's OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite maintenance update as it resolves a problem with Finder-based program crashes.
OS X Yosemite may occasionally cause some programs to crash when you open, save-as, or first save a file. These crashes are rare but happen when an application, such as Dropbox, uses Yosemite's official Finder integration -- and if that program crashes because of this interaction, unsaved changes may be lost.
Apple issued OS X 10.10.1 on Monday to deal with reported Wi-Fi connectivity issues and improve Microsoft Exchange reliability in Mail. The app crashing issue was not identified by Apple in the release notes, nor was it an area of focus for developers during beta testing.

It appears that Dropbox did not need to make any changes on its end to remedy the situation, suggesting Apple's fix may extend to other third-party programs seeing similar crashing issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Dropbox PR: What we need to do here is lay as much blame as possible on Apple, we need the reader to know that Apple are at fault here, and that we are not responsible for testing our products prior to releasing them to the market.

Dropbox, it takes two to tango. If one let every buggy windows API get in the way of their software, they'd never reach market.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ecats wrote: »
    Dropbox PR: What we need to do here is lay as much blame as possible on Apple, we need the reader to know that Apple are at fault here, and that we are not responsible for testing our products prior to releasing them to the market.

Dropbox, it takes two to tango. If one let every buggy windows API get in the way of their software, they'd never reach market.

The whole point of Apple's new Extension APIs is that extensions can't cause this sort of problem. Additionally, from the feedback on the Dropbox forums, it looks like this issue had no workaround. If you implemented a Finder extension, it would cause save dialogs to randomly crash. Absolutely an Apple bug.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I have soured on Dropbox (I used to be a rather big evangelist).

The reason? I had one of their low-tier plans, and I had uploaded approximately 1GB worth of photos from an event (my daughter's play) that I had sent to the number of people at that event. (Space was a non issue.). Soon thereafter, I got a couple of nasty, arrogant-sounding emails from DB saying that that there was too much download activity on my account.

I promptly deleted my DB account, after moving everything over to -- sorry -- Google Drive (which, I am actually rather pleased with). I can do without them.
  • Reply 4 of 22

The reason? I had one of their low-tier plans, and I had uploaded approximately 1GB worth of photos from an event (my daughter's play) that I had sent to the number of people at that event. (Space was a non issue.). Soon thereafter, I got a couple of nasty, arrogant-sounding emails from DB saying that that there was too much download activity on my account.

I promptly deleted my DB account, after moving everything over to -- sorry -- Google Drive (which, I am actually rather pleased with). I can do without them.

Did you try Spideroak? I have found it to be quite good. Also doesn't have the Google/Dropbox creepiness factor.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gordon1420 wrote: »
    The whole point of Apple's new Extension APIs is that extensions can't cause this sort of problem. Additionally, from the feedback on the Dropbox forums, it looks like this issue had no workaround. If you implemented a Finder extension, it would cause save dialogs to randomly crash. Absolutely an Apple bug.

Don't expect the defend Apple at all costs posters here to understand what you are talking about. You are right of course. Apple had to fix it so it was their bug. The extensions shouldn't crash the hosting ( or the container) app since they run in a different process.
  • Reply 6 of 22

Dropbox has a per day bandwidth limit of 200 GB/day (https://www.dropbox.com/help/4204) for paid accounts. I would think that would be very difficult to reach just sharing content with friends and family. Google Drive will also ban shared content if it uses too much bandwidth. Unlike dropbox, however, they don't actually tell you what the limits are so you don't know there's a problem until your links stop working.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I still have an issue with Dropbox:

Dropbox regularly creates corrupted files after I have taken a screenshot picture.

Some of my screenshot pictures end up on my desktop instead of my screenshots dropbox folder. 

> I cannot view and delete the screenshot pictures on my desktop.

> The screenshot pictures that ended up on my desktop do not show up in Finder either.

> They even don't show up as hidden files in my terminal window. 

I have the latest OSX Yosemite update.

I have included a screenshot picture below. Incidentally this screenshot picture didn't get saved in my dropbox folder either. Instead it was saved on my desktop. Unlike the other screenshot pictures that ended up on my desktop, I am able to view and delete this screenshot. So, here's the screenshot I made after I tried to delete the unreadable screenshots:

• Reply 8 of 22
    gordon1420 wrote: »

Dropbox has a per day bandwidth limit of 200 GB/day (https://www.dropbox.com/help/4204) for paid accounts. I would think that would be very difficult to reach just sharing content with friends and family. Google Drive will also ban shared content if it uses too much bandwidth. Unlike dropbox, however, they don't actually tell you what the limits are so you don't know there's a problem until your links stop working.

Whatever. Don't particularly care at this point. I've moved on.

Perhaps, at a minimum, they should hire someone with better communication skills.
  • Reply 9 of 22

I'm having repeatable iMac-bricking with 10.10.1.  I think it's my HD.

Apologies in advance I know this isn't a tech-support forum, but just for chatting purposes:

[  Our late-2008 MacBook loaded 10.10.1 fine btw. ]

One of the earliest 27" iMac's from Nov-2009:  2TB HD.  Loaded 10.10 fine.

After the 10.10.1 restart, and partway through the grey-screen-apple-logo with progress bar, it just STOPS.   No obvious HD sounds.  Just empty grey screen with cursor.

I had forgotten to repair-permissions before the update.  After booting into recovery partition with CMD-R, Disk Utility said the drive wasn't fixable.  2nd Repair-permissions said it was fine. 

Upon subsequent restarts after repair-permissions, it would always hang (and stop making any HD-sounds) 1/4 through the grey progress bar.

So OK.  HD getting flaky.  5 years old.  I get it.  Recovery Partition gives Time Machine, Fresh install of Yosemete, Internet, & Disk Utility. 

Gotta go Time Machine at this point.  It says it will Erase the iMac drive (I think erase means no full re-Format). 

Time Machine restore works AWESOME btw.  It restored all the way back to which e-mails I had up.

I assumed with all that HD erasing, re-writing, etc etc, that if I had a bad sector or something, that things would be re-arranged enough to try 10.10.1 again.  I certainly can't avoid all future updates!

SAME thing happened again!  Had to restore from Time Machine backup a 2nd time!

I wasn't surprised by the 1st instance, but I was by the 2nd.

Future:

I'm a bit scared reading iFixit's i-Mac HD replacement page, soooo:

I could use Recovery Partition to ReFormat the main drive I suppose.  Then load new Yosemete FROM the recovery partition.  Then upon 1st-use of Yosemete, use the Time Machine backup as if the computer was new.  That's worked every time we've gotten a new Mac.

About HD scanning:

Back before windows on a 286, I used to use Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk (on a 40MB HD).  It would find bad sectors and mark them so they weren't used again.

Despite all the disk-doctor apps I see on the App Store, none appear to be at the deep utility level.  They all just look for old files to delete.

Did I hear that the Apple Hardware tests are no longer avail by holding D down when booting, but they're on the original disks?  Maybe that change was 2011 and my Mac is 2009.  Hmmm.  Where IS that original disk....

Any thoughts?

• Reply 10 of 22

Just out of interest, what have you moved on to?

• Reply 11 of 22
    aelegg wrote: »

Apologies in advance I know this isn't a tech-support forum, but just for chatting purposes:

After the 10.10.1 restart, and partway through the grey-screen-apple-logo with progress bar, it just STOPS.   No obvious HD sounds.  Just empty grey screen with cursor.

I had forgotten to repair-permissions before the update.  After booting into recovery partition with CMD-R, Disk Utility said the drive wasn't fixable.  2nd Repair-permissions said it was fine. 

Upon subsequent restarts after repair-permissions, it would always hang (and stop making any HD-sounds) 1/4 through the grey progress bar.

So OK.  HD getting flaky.  5 years old.  I get it.  Recovery Partition gives Time Machine, Fresh install of Yosemete, Internet, & Disk Utility. 

Gotta go Time Machine at this point.  It says it will Erase the iMac drive (I think erase means no full re-Format). 

Time Machine restore works AWESOME btw.  It restored all the way back to which e-mails I had up.

I assumed with all that HD erasing, re-writing, etc etc, that if I had a bad sector or something, that things would be re-arranged enough to try 10.10.1 again.  I certainly can't avoid all future updates!

Future:

I could use Recovery Partition to ReFormat the main drive I suppose.  Then load new Yosemete FROM the recovery partition.  Then upon 1st-use of Yosemete, use the Time Machine backup as if the computer was new.  That's worked every time we've gotten a new Mac.

About HD scanning:

Back before windows on a 286, I used to use Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk (on a 40MB HD).  It would find bad sectors and mark them so they weren't used again.

Despite all the disk-doctor apps I see on the App Store, none appear to be at the deep utility level.  They all just look for old files to delete.

Did I hear that the Apple Hardware tests are no longer avail by holding D down when booting, but they're on the original disks?  Maybe that change was 2011 and my Mac is 2009.  Hmmm.  Where IS that original disk....

Any thoughts?

If I may suggest and it's possible: do you have a Firewire 800 disk free?

1) If so, try installing Snow Leo from your original DVD to the FW drive, then upgrade all the way through Yosemite 10.10.1 WITHOUT logging into Apple ID or doing any migration of any data/apps. Basically a lean-mean-clean Yosemite install.

2) using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, clone your "LMC" FW drive to your internal drive. After a restart to see that everything is booting, repair permissions.

3) now transfer your TM apps*** and data.

*** If it's not too much of hardship, consider installing your apps new using the latest builds i.e. versions; OR at the very least make sure that no Snow Leo apps or utilities are being migrated that used to run using Rosetta.

*** IF you have Yosemite 10.10 running, check your Console messages. many times you'll be able to get a hint at what programs, kexts, etc. are causing problems. I'm not a UNIX guru, but as soon as "Failed" keeps popping up in the messages, I delete the app if possible using AppCleaner (free donationware).

*** I've also ran across some font problems that can cause erratic behavior and crashing of some apps (what else is new?). I can't point to any one font, but cleaning font caches did do the trick as well as limiting initial font loads to only those delivered by Apple. I'm kind of looking at Microsoft Office installed fonts as the culprit... but I can't say for sure in my case.

*** If you don't have a Firewire drive at your disposal, don't even bother with a USB 2 drive. You'll be at this for days. Then my only suggestion is a fresh install as above directly to your internal HD. If the HD is starting to fail, you're going to have to do it all over again, where as with a clean clone on a FW drive, you could clone to the new drive.

Note: I prefer LMC (my terminology BTW) clones to Time Machine, but only because I have to do these repairs, installs and migrations so often for clients.
  • Reply 12 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

If I may suggest and it's possible: do you have a Firewire 800 disk free?

1) If so, try installing Snow Leo from your original DVD to the FW drive, then upgrade all the way through Yosemite 10.10.1 WITHOUT logging into Apple ID or doing any migration of any data/apps. Basically a lean-mean-clean Yosemite install.

2) using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, clone your "LMC" FW drive to your internal drive. After a restart to see that everything is booting, repair permissions.

3) now transfer your TM apps*** and data.

I really appreciate all this great advice.  If you're talking about clients, then you just gave me $-advice, and I'm grateful.

No FW800 at home, and I was going to ask why all the fuss before just fresh-clean-installing Yosemete directly from recovery-mode, but  I understand now that you're saying if the internal is on the fritz, the FW800 based one can be used multiple times (after a new HD installed).

Thanks very much again.

• Reply 13 of 22
    aelegg wrote: »

Future:

About HD scanning:

Any thoughts?

I use TechTool Pro, which finds bad blocks and cordons them off.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

Apple should do more to disclose API functionality quicker.  I remember that Tim Cook gave everyone at corporate an extended vacation for all their "hard work"  I imagine this also includes Apple Developers.

If it's not fixed soon, it might be worth giving Microsoft a try.  Those relying on a wireless connection might be waiting for a while. 

It might be time to invest in a 100-foot Ethernet cable and a USB Ethernet adapter!

• Reply 15 of 22

After I installed the 10.10.1 Yosemite update on a brand new iMac, I started getting beachballs during basic Finder operations, and that is on a machine with 16GB memory!

The beachballs disappeared immediately I quit DropBox. I do not know the cause of the incompatibility between DropBox and Yosemite, but I will not restart DropBox until Apple and/or DropBox get on the same page over this issue.

• Reply 16 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whatever. Don't particularly care at this point. I've moved on.

Perhaps, at a minimum, they should hire someone with better communication skills.

Can you post what they sent you? I'm honestly curious, because companies as big as this should have PR-massaged these kinds of notices.

• Reply 17 of 22
    slurpy wrote: »

Can you post what they sent you? I'm honestly curious, because companies as big as this should have PR-massaged these kinds of notices.

Sure. I thought I had trashed it, but apparently not.

"Hi XYZ,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

For more information on suspended links, please visit the Help Center. If this is your first suspension, you may remove the suspension by visiting your account page.

- The Dropbox Team"

What arrogant BS. I can do without twits like that. (Moreover, the inability to download was a confusing inconvenience to those whom I had sent the link but had not downloaded the photos yet).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Sure. I thought I had trashed it, but apparently not.

"Hi XYZ,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

For more information on suspended links, please visit the Help Center. If this is your first suspension, you may remove the suspension by visiting your account page.

- The Dropbox Team"

What arrogant BS. I can do without twits like that. (Moreover, the inability to download was a confusing inconvenience to those whom I had sent the link but had not downloaded the photos yet).

Hmm..seems pretty standard, maybe a bit on the blunt side but nothing out of the ordinary. Personally I use and love Box, you might want to consider it. I think it's pretty easy to get 50GB for free. 

• Reply 19 of 22
    slurpy wrote: »

Hmm..seems pretty standard, maybe a bit on the blunt side but nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess each of us has a different definition of, and threshold for, what constitutes corporate bullshit.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Hmm..seems pretty standard, maybe a bit on the blunt side but nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess each of us has a different definition of, and threshold for, what constitutes corporate bullshit.

Indeed; some people's standards are different than others.