Apple's forecast to sell 71.5M iPhones units in Q4, iPhone 6 sales more than double iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    analogjack wrote: »
    If Samsung can manage to keep their metaphorical noses above the water line for another year, then the 4" iPhone will be history, then they can  steal back their market share with innovative new 4" models
    That would be like introducing innovative new horse carriages after the advent of the automobile. It's not going to happen.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Talk about psychosis.
    What do you think?
  • Reply 23 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Talk about psychosis.

He's right.  4.7" is the new 4".  In the smartphone space, anything less than 4.7" is SOL.

• Reply 24 of 93
    sog35 wrote: »
    I dont see Apple selling a the 5.5 phone at a discount. The 5.5 screen is a premium feature. Pretty sure 5c will still be available in China/India next year
    I don't think 5.5" is premium due to the cost. BOM difference between 6 and 6+ is only $15 for battery, camera, chassis and screen. I would say the screen would be $10 difference at most. That means 5.5" 6C will still have more margins than 4.7" 6C. I don't know. History showed Apple never discontinued a new product unless it's rebadged. I would say rather making only 1 version of 6C, they may just rebadge both 6 and 6+ into 6C and 6+C. They will discontinue 5C in States and maybe in EU too.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    Ming...o Ming....Brutha where u getting this from?

There was just a story focusing on the 6+ on how over the top popular it's become in many areas of the world unexpected.

Being biased in that I have a 6+ - about 8 people in my circle got the plus. Lately when I'm pulling it out I'm getting more "is that the plus" ? Followed by "I think I want one"...

For Apple die-hards (me being one of them) it took a lot of thought before jumping into the 6 plus. Like it or not many of us a year ago wouldn't b caught dead with a 5" phone... In fact I kicked ass on my Sammy lover friends reading them about those "tablet" phones... Look at me now. Yup hypocrisy is shining bright ????

But...in the realm of Steve Jobs thinking... It's possible the stigma of larger is lame could actually change to being cool again even if it's in the Apple kingdom now..

Ming yes it is possible that the 6+ could actually be in the "come from behind" bracket and be huge - pun intended.

Stay tuned
  • Reply 26 of 93
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Comparing sales of the 6 vs 6+ is completely meaningless at this point. Apple is selling every 6+ it can make, and they're nearly impossible to find. After trying to buy one every day since the 6+ came out, my friend DROVE TO ANOTHER CITY to finally get one. Clearly supply is a lot less than the 6, and that's all the sales indicate. Not demand or interest. 

• Reply 27 of 93
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What do you think?

Hands haven’t magically gotten larger. These sizes are no more comfortable or usable now than they were before. To suggest that 4.7” is the low end of anything smacks of willful ignorance.

• Reply 28 of 93

Hands haven’t magically gotten larger. These sizes are no more comfortable or usable now than they were before. To suggest that 4.7” is the low end of anything smacks of willful ignorance.
    That's what you think, not Apple. That's why you're here typing while they're making money. So they create Reachability, a way to compromise one hand use for 4.7" iPhone, also a signal for 4" to vanish. I would place any bet with anyone that Apple won't be making any new 4" device.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Not gonna fucking happen, so we can definitely look forward to a never-ending stream of bitching and whining from you when it doesn't. The market for it (ie. those who who not get a 4.7 iPhone because they think is too large) is almost non-existent, and it's not worth the extra engineering, development, sales, and marketing overhead, not to mention added complexity and variables for developers going forward. 

But hey, when has common sense ever had an effect on your thinking. 

I don't understand the notion that there's a non-existent market for 4" iPhones.  Apple has sold more than 500,000,000 iPhones of just such a screen size, or smaller.  Are all those people wrong?  Or were they just blindly doing what Apple told them?  What if just 10% of them think that 4" is about the right size for a phone screen?  Does Apple need them as customers?

Apple is certainly hedging its bets on the larger screens.  This is only time in iPhone history that the previous generation phone has been available from Apple in multiple capacities (16 and 32GB), and the 64Gb iPhone remains available from re-sellers (maybe Apple is still making it).  All three colors remain available, as well.  So, it doesn't exactly look like Apple is abandoning the 4" screen size.

• Reply 30 of 93
    dh87 wrote: »

I don't understand the notion that there's a non-existent market for 4" iPhones.  Apple has sold more than 500,000,000 iPhones of just such a screen size, or smaller.  Are all those people wrong?  Or were they just blindly doing what Apple told them?  What if just 10% of them think that 4" is about the right size for a phone screen?  Does Apple need them as customers?

Apple is certainly hedging its bets on the larger screens.  This is only time in iPhone history that the previous generation phone has been available from Apple in multiple capacities (16 and 32GB), and the 64Gb iPhone remains available from re-sellers (maybe Apple is still making it).  All three colors remain available, as well.  So, it doesn't exactly look like Apple is abandoning the 4" screen size.

The measure was never about the screen size, but the usability at a given size. The iPhone 6 is lighter and has a lower volume than all iPhones that came before it.

Do you think the iPhones with a 3.5" display will return? Of course you don't and yet they sold hundreds of millions of them.
  • Reply 31 of 93

in 2 years, you won't see any new 4" iPhone. After 5S is free in States with carrier subsidies, it will be downgraded to 8GB and sold to third world markets, then vanish.
    The point is not about how many low end devices they can sell, but how much the margin will be.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Why do we keep listing to this Ming guy? He has been one-hit guy. None of this latest predictions have been right. He is like Alan Greenspan - Keeps talking, even if his opinion is of no relevance!
  • Reply 33 of 93
    .. Unreal how these analists set a tone by bogus choice of words.
    Apple will see drop in demand to 50 million..?
    Sounds negative doesnt it!
    But yet is a yoy growth from 43 million to 50 million and a record for that quarter wich is apple fiscal q2.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    That's what you think, not Apple. That's why you're here typing while they're making money. So they create Reachability, a way to compromise one hand use for 4.7" iPhone, also a signal for 4" to vanish. I would place any bet with anyone that Apple won't be making any new 4" device.

That argument about Apple making money was made when Apple was producing smaller screen sizes and the general opinion on here was that that should continue.

I can't see why Apple would eol the 5c -- instead they should eol the 4S which has only a few months OS support left and reduce prices in the 5c
  • Reply 35 of 93

I have the iPhone 4s I love the design far far more then the iPhone 6. I get 2-3 days battery life. It works great and it fits nicely in my front jeans pocket when I am out on my bike . I just don't feel the need to upgrade if I am happy with it. I'm going against the grain on this website where everyone has the latest and biggest iPhone  but frankly I don't give a damn . 

• Reply 36 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple needs to make their product lines less complicated not more. Selling five different versions of the iPhone is crazy. I don't want Apple turning into Samsung. Personally I don't think premium should be defined by screen size but obviously Phil Schiller does. So have an entry-level phone, mid tier phone and high-end phone. Keep the entry-level phone plastic and the other two tiers metal.

What I think Apple should do in 2015 is have a low end version which is 4.7" and plastic (if making the case plastic is actually cheaper) a mid-tier version which would be this years 4.7" phone and new phones at 4.7" and 5.5". But what I think Apple really needs to do is work on making the overall footprint of the iPhones smaller. There are other phones that are smaller than iPhone but have more screen real estate because the bezels are smaller. Apple employees some of the best engineers and designers. I've got to believe the can figure out a way to reduce the bezels on iPhones. Does the home button in its present form have to exist for eternity?
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple needs to make their product lines less complicated not more. Selling five different versions of the iPhone is crazy. I don't want Apple turning into Samsung. Personally I don't think premium should be defined by screen size but obviously Phil Schiller does. So have an entry-level phone, mid tier phone and high-end phone. Keep the entry-level phone plastic and the other two tiers metal.

What I think Apple should do in 2015 is have a low end version which is 4.7" and plastic (if making the case plastic is actually cheaper) a mid-tier version which would be this years 4.7" phone and new phones at 4.7" and 5.5". But what I think Apple really needs to do is work on making the overall footprint of the iPhones smaller. There are other phones that are smaller than iPhone but have more screen real estate because the bezels are smaller. Apple employees some of the best engineers and designers. I've got to believe the can figure out a way to reduce the bezels on iPhones. Does the home button in its present form have to exist for eternity?

Thats an American perspective. Apple are selling the 4S and 5C into other markets. I can't see why they would stop ( or why 5 SKUs is so impossible to understand). But if they do reduce it probably won't be to remove the 5C until the 6C is out.

And boy, isn't the Apple Watch going to really flummox you?

The home button is going to be around for a long time. 

• Reply 38 of 93

Sometimes it's hard to know what Apple is doing these days. Their iOS product lines are getting too complicated IMO. Many people scratched their head over the iPad mini 3 when all it added was Touch ID. And why is Apple still selling a non-retina iPad with A5 chip? iOS 8 doesn't exactly run that great on A5 devices. To me that's not about the best experience but hitting a certain price point while keeping margins high. I would love to see simplicity back into Apple's iOS product lines but seeing what they did with iPads this year (and their obsession with margins over anything else) my guess is next years iPhone line up will be as complicated as ever. One thing that's probably a guarantee is the stupid 16GB as base model on the new phones. Good luck to all the 8/16GB owners installing iOS 9 OTA.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    asdasd wrote: »

Thats an American perspective. Apple are selling the 4S and 5C into other markets. I can't see why they would stop ( or why 5 SKUs is so impossible to understand). But if they do reduce it probably won't be to remove the 5C until the 6C is out.

And boy, isn't the Apple Watch going to really flummox you?

The home button is going to be around for a long time. 

No the Apple watch isn't going to flummox me because it's one watch in 2 sizes. I pick a size, color and band. Boom done. I said Apple should have 3 phones - low, mid and high. Low would be for the non-premium markets; mid & high would be for everywhere else. If it's really important for Apple to get into places like India perhaps they need to think about completely redesigning the low end phone with a stripped down OS for those markets. A 3 year old phone running the latest software isn't the best experience.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/ios-8-1-1-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-a-little-faster-kind-of-sometimes/
  • Reply 40 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No the Apple watch isn't going to flummox me because it's one watch in 2 sizes. I pick a size, color and band. Boom done. I said Apple should have 3 phones - low, mid and high. Low would be for the non-premium markets; mid & high would be for everywhere else. If it's really important for Apple to get into places like India perhaps they need to think about completely redesigning the low end phone with a stripped down OS for those markets. A 3 year old phone running the latest software isn't the best experience.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/ios-8-1-1-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-a-little-faster-kind-of-sometimes/

Two sizes? Is that it? Apple itself mentions the different brands on it's pages. Ignoring the straps there are at least 6 options: Watch, Edition and Sport, all in two sizes. 

There are also a lot of iPad options. 

I agree that there should be a low priced option for India, in fact I think it should be a 4" option like the 5C. Rename that to a brand ( without a number), add the touchID and update it with last years chip ( or older) every year. Better to have 16Gb though,