Apple reveals Black Friday partnership with Product (RED) for gift card sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Shoppers that purchase some of Apple's most popular products on Friday will also receive a Product (RED) gift card that can be used on the U.S. iTunes Store, Mac App Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.

Purchasing any of Apple's iPhone lineup --?including the iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus --?will net a $50 gift card, though they are limited to two gift cards per household. iPad buyers will receive the same with the same restriction, while consumers bringing home an iPod nano or iPod touch will have a $25 gift card added.

For the first time, Beats products will be included in the sale and will come with a $25 gift card, as will the Apple TV.

Macs will garner a $100 gift card. Notably, the Mac Pro is not included in Apple's list of qualifying products, so purchases of Apple's desktop workhorse will not come with any extra incentive.

Apple will make a donation to The Global Fund with each purchase, though it is not immediately clear what percentage of each transaction will be contributed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I hope this isn't the extent of Apple's Black Friday sale. I'm looking forward to buying and iPad Air 2 for my wife to replace her iPad 2. I try to always hold off my Christmas gift Apple purchases until Black Friday because it's the only time Apple has sale prices and I don't have to leave the house to get the discount!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

I hope this isn't the extent of Apple's Black Friday sale.

What else are you expecting? This is Apple, they're not going to have some insane, ridiculous discount. 

A 50 dollar gift card is what you'll get for buying an iPad through Apple.

If you want a bigger discount, go to a third party retailer, like Target, and get a 140 gift card.

• Reply 3 of 19
    Not expecting anything crazy, but in past years they have had a modest discount. I would rather save $30 or $40 than get a gift card. However, I will definitely take Apple's deal over waiting in line for hours at a retail store just to check out after waiting in line for hours just to get in!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What else are you expecting? This is Apple, they're not going to have some insane, ridiculous discount. 

A 50 dollar gift card is what you'll get for buying an iPad through Apple.

If you want a bigger discount, go to a third party retailer, like Target, and get a 140 gift card.

This is not any discount - this is a Gift card. And to make matters worse it's not even an Apple Store gift card- it's an ITunes gift card. At least now I know where I won't be spending my money next Friday. Thanks a lot Tim and Apple- for your politically correct lump of coal. :no:
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Some of you a pretty funny. Apple doesn't need to discount their products. Why would they? Demand is outpacing supply. I know you don't like it as a consumer but get over it. You certainly can buy a cheap alternative tablet...be my guest... :D
  • Reply 6 of 19
    arbiter8 wrote: »
    I hope this isn't the extent of Apple's Black Friday sale. I'm looking forward to buying and iPad Air 2 for my wife to replace her iPad 2. I try to always hold off my Christmas gift Apple purchases until Black Friday because it's the only time Apple has sale prices and I don't have to leave the house to get the discount!

Don't buy anything from Apple on Black Friday!!! If you want to get an iPad Air 2, check Target, Walmart, and especially Best Buy for both discounts and free gift cards with purchases. Best Buy is offering any iPad Air 2 at a 100$ discount, more than Apple will ever give you!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Some of you a pretty funny. Apple doesn't need to discount their products. Why would they? Demand is outpacing supply. I know you don't like it as a consumer but get over it. You certainly can buy a cheap alternative tablet...be my guest... :D

Blak Friday is traditionally a day when discounts are offered to encourage sales. As this is not a discount Apple should then simply make it available throughout the holiday season. Its called Good Will.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Blak Friday is traditionally a day when discounts are offered to encourage sales. As this is not a discount Apple should then simply make it available throughout the holiday season. Its called Good Will.

No, discounts are offered to clear out inventory. High end items or best sellers rarely get discounted. Or if they do there's a store limit as they are loss leaders to hopefully get people into the stores to buy other clearance junk.

Apple has plenty of Good Will. They make the highest quality products in the industry with the best service/support. Apple isn't like Best Buy - a company with declining sales and poor customer support who won't be around in a couple years. Apple doesn't need gimmicks and fire sales to drive business and bring in customers.

• Reply 9 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And in another "me too" announcement, Samsung announces PRODUCT DEAD and immediately reduces profits on many of their popular devices...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    No, discounts are offered to clear out inventory. High end items or best sellers rarely get discounted. Or if they do there's a store limit as they are loss leaders to hopefully get people into the stores to buy other clearance junk.

Apple has plenty of Good Will. They make the highest quality products in the industry with the best service/support. Apple isn't like Best Buy - a company with declining sales and poor customer support who won't be around in a couple years. Apple doesn't need gimmicks and fire sales to drive business and bring in customers.

So then why do anything masked as one on Blak Friday? It does affect the perception that Apple is a money grubbing, overpriced ,nickel and dimeing company aka good will.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

So then why do anything masked as one on Blak Friday? It does affect the perception that Apple is a money grubbing, overpriced ,nickel and dimeing company aka good will.

Only to trolls like you, that is.

The rest of the world knows the truth about Apple - the best products, service and support in the industry.

• Reply 12 of 19
    Only to trolls like you, that is.

The rest of the world knows the truth about Apple - the best products, service and support in the industry.

Ireland.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

If you want to buy Apple stuff at reduced costs on Black Friday, just go to a reseller like Amazon or Best Buy. They'll be doing monetary discounts.

• Reply 14 of 19
    evilution wrote: »
    If you want to buy Apple stuff at reduced costs on Black Friday, just go to a reseller like Amazon or Best Buy. They'll be doing monetary discounts.

I'd prefer giving my money to Apple directly but sadly I may need to take your advice.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

I'd prefer giving my money to Apple directly but sadly I may need to take your advice.

I feel the same way; I've purchased all of my Apple products directly from Apple (except a used Mac Portable purchased from a company auction in the early 90's) but this time I might go the Best Buy route, if I can save the $100 online. But if I have to go to the Best Buy store, then I will just be content with the $50 iTunes gift card, nothing is worth standing in those lines! But I do wish it was at least an Apple Store gift card!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No, discounts are offered to clear out inventory.

While this is typically true, Apple has a long history of offering a modest discount once a year, and once a year only, on Black Friday. It seems they are changing that tradition (based on last year and this year) to gift cards instead.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And in another "me too" announcement, Samsung announces PRODUCT DEAD and immediately reduces profits on many of their popular devices...

I think you may have this wrong...

In what may be one of the first examples of true A.I.,

the devices seem to have done this themselves!

• Reply 18 of 19
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    boredumb wrote: »
    I think you may have this wrong...
    In what may be one of the first examples of true A.I.,
    the devices seem to have done this themselves!

Lol. Very good!! Very funny!!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

(except a used Mac Portable purchased from a company auction in the early 90's)

Lucky. I still want one of those.