Universal Studios takes over Steve Jobs biopic, Michael Fassbender to star

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Following Sony's surprise exit from Academy Award-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin's film about Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, Universal Studios has reportedly picked up the project with actor Michael Fassbender tapped to take on the lead role.

Steve Jobs

As rumored last week when Sony dropped backing for the project, Universal has taken the reins of the film based on Walter Isaacson's biography "Steve Jobs," reports Variety. A subsequent report from The Hollywood Reporter claims Universal paid $30 million for the opportunity.

Reportedly joining Sorkin are director Danny Boyle and actor Michael Fassbender, who will play the lead role of Jobs. Seth Rogen is also said to be taking part in the project as Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak.

Sony first bought the rights to Isaacson's biography shortly after Jobs died in 2011 and Sorkin finished the script earlier this year, though the project is seemingly having trouble keeping directors and lead actors.

Director David Fincher was initially slated to direct, but pulled out of talks in April. A number of big-name actors have also been attached to the film, including Leonardo DiCaprio and Christian Bale, both of whom passed on playing Jobs.

During an interview that aired earlier this month, Sorkin said the film would not be a sweeping biopic, but will instead focus on a segment of Jobs' life told through his relationships with coworkers and loved ones. It was later revealed that Jobs' daughter Lisa will play a crucial role in the film.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Nigh impossible role to play. I see him disappointing.

• Reply 2 of 38
    Jobs had a life that easily surpassed the imagination of movie makers.
  • Reply 3 of 38

Seth Rogen as Woz... hahahahahahahaha...

Perfect!

• Reply 4 of 38

If this ever ends up getting produced at all it will probably debut on YouTube. All the earmarks of bow wow script. Who the hell is Michael Fassbender? Is he 1/28th as bankable as DiCaprio or Bale? Good read, boring flick, old news. RIP Steve! 

• Reply 5 of 38

I thought Boyle dropped out of the project as well?

I can't stand Seth Rogan. Still, he will not be the deciding factor for me, it will be the director.

• Reply 6 of 38
    Michael Fassbinder, while not necessarily a celebrity (like the previous two candidates for the role), is certainly a well regarded actor. Just check imdb for his previous work. If this version reaches the screen there is a better chance we might get an interesting Steve Jobs rather than the latest bankable performance.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Fassbender is a star. Christ sake. Good actor.

Looks nothing like Jobs. Boyles a good director too. Seth looks the part.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Probably won't be any good though. Although I like the idea of a montage of the Big Events in Apples history.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    I've liked fassbender in everything so far - but he's yet to play a role with this much depth. I think this will be his make make or break movie.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just give it up. Maybe in 25 years but for now just stop with the Steve Jobs movies.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Probably won't be any good though. Although I like the idea of a montage of the Big Events in Apples history.

That's a great idea and they could use the real footage of Steve and stop with all this 'scripting' and 'actors' crap.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Jobs had a life that easily surpassed the imagination of movie makers.

Or movie goers...

Movie should have just been shut down.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's a great idea and they could use the real footage of Steve and stop with all this 'scripting' and 'actors' crap.

My understanding was this was the script. I would do this.

Jobs before his speech for the Mac. Reminiscing a bit ( maybe shown in Flashbacks). Gives the Speech.

Jobs in his empty unfinished  house when fired at 30. Someone from the company calls over, they talk about what happened. Flashbacks.

Jobs introducing the iPod. Before the speech we get some flashbacks about his return to Apple. 

Jobs introducing the iPhone. Before the speech we get some flashbacks about how it happened.

The end of his life. Movie ends with a flashback to the commencement speech at Stanford.

That would work. 

• Reply 14 of 38
    Just use CGI and have a young Arnie at the time of the sacking. Just so they can have him say "I'll be back"
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mj web wrote: »
    If this ever ends up getting produced at all it will probably debut on YouTube. All the earmarks of bow wow script. Who the hell is Michael Fassbender? Is he 1/28th as bankable as DiCaprio or Bale? Good read, boring flick, old news. RIP Steve! 

Wow. Bale/DiCaprio and not Fassbender.

Are you utterly clueless or did you forget the /sarcasm tag?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    asdasd wrote: »

Reportedly a "montage of Big Events in Apple's history" isn't the plan. It sounds like they're going to do a film focusing on his personal life rather than professional:

"During an interview that aired earlier this month, Sorkin said the film would not be a sweeping biopic, but will instead focus on a segment of Jobs' life told through his relationships with coworkers and loved ones. It was later revealed that Jobs' daughter Lisa will play a crucial role in the film.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Bale/DiCaprio and not Fassbender.

Are you utterly clueless or did you forget the /sarcasm tag?

Fassbender's a nobody, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Reportedly a "montage of Big Events in Apple's history" isn't the plan. It sounds like they're going to do a film focusing on his personal life rather than professional:

"During an interview that aired earlier this month, Sorkin said the film would not be a sweeping biopic, but will instead focus on a segment of Jobs' life told through his relationships with coworkers and loved ones. It was later revealed that Jobs' daughter Lisa will play a crucial role in the film.

Despite not playing a crucial role in his life. But that's typical Hollywood.

• Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Fassbender's a nobody, as far as I'm concerned.

Wow. Hubris much?

• Reply 19 of 38
    I'm generally more of a lurker than a poster, but wow, a couple of the comments about Michael Fassbender are eye-rolling. The guy Is the best actor of his generation, and one the best actors working today. I've never seen him give a bad performance, and he's elevated many mediocre/bad films to another level. This casting is excellent news.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Wow. Hubris much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paleblack View Post

I'm generally more of a lurker than a poster, but wow, a couple of the comments about Michael Fassbender are eye-rolling. The guy Is the best actor of his generation, and one the best actors working today. I've never seen him give a bad performance, and he's elevated many mediocre/bad films to another level. This casting is excellent news.

As far as drawing people to the theater? He doesn't have that power.

Given that Universal spent $30 million to acquire the film (which is more than it's likely to make in receipts) I just see this being shelved, or referred to as a bomb if it does come out.