Lack of centralized cloud infrastructure team hampering Apple's development of iCloud services - rep

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67

Apple not executing well on an internet service? Why am I not surprised? The Apple/Google rivalry is really a shame. What I would like is an Apple phone with out of the box 100% support for Google services. Apple could spend its time doing what it does best instead of reinventing the wheel in domains that it doesn't really care about (cloud storage, maps etc). Sometimes competition isn't a good thing.

• Reply 42 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Music works fine for us. and I've never seen any MacRumors headlines with screaming haters complaining about iOS 8 Music problems.

Go to the iOS 8 forum on the site, or do a search and you'll find lots of people complaining about music app. It's garbage on my 5s. I get my 6 on Wednesday so hopefully it's better on that device.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Music works fine for us. and I've never seen any MacRumors headlines with screaming haters complaining about iOS 8 Music problems.

Another annoying thing is when I'm scrolling through a thread on this site on my Air 2 and half the page turns white while I'm scrolling as if Safari isn't able to render the entire page real time. I really notice this on sites with lots of images. I don't remember having this problem with iOS 7.
  • Reply 44 of 67

@Benjamin Frost, what happened man? Your comments went from harmless Fight Club to full blown Project Mayhem in under a year!!

• Reply 45 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Remember Bertrand Serlet, who is now heading up a start-up focused on cloud infrastructure? From what I read, some former Apple employees are also working there. Why not knock on his door and see if there's chance of a potential acquisition? Guy was a smart dude.

https://www.upthere.com/

Bertrand was awesome, it would be great if he came back.

• Reply 46 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    God, you're so intellectually dishonest, it's pretty disgusting. If Apple under Tim Cook isn't "organized", then please, enlighten us as to what company on this planet is? And if Apple is so "un-organized", how can they POSSIBLY produce the metrics that they do, on all fronts. I mean, holy shit at your hypocrisy. I see you consistently bashing Tim Cook and Apple for "becoming bloated", and "moving away from Steve Jobs startup mentality", and now, you take the opportunity to state the opposite. You truly have no shame, and no limits to your blatant lying. 

Don't even answer such nonsense and block it in the first place. I agree with your totally on this. More anti-Apple bait click crap.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    graxspoo wrote: »
    Apple not executing well on an internet service? Why am I not surprised? The Apple/Google rivalry is really a shame. What I would like is an Apple phone with out of the box 100% support for Google services. Apple could spend its time doing what it does best instead of reinventing the wheel in domains that it doesn't really care about (cloud storage, maps etc). Sometimes competition isn't a good thing.

Rivalry? Too funny.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes. People leak. Especially people that might be unhappy.

Or those unhappy because they are out of the loop.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Or those unhappy because they are out of the loop.

Maybe that's the problem. Too many silos and too many people out of the loop that shouldn't be.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    And don't get me started on that sad excuse for a Music app. I hate that it defaults to iTunes Radio every time it loads, and that's just the start.

Open the Music app, tap the More tab, tap Edit, and drag whatever tab you want it to default to to the leftmost tab position, then tap Done.

Now, the leftmost tab is what it defaults to whenever you open the app.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Maybe Apple needs to decouple software from hardware and only ship it when it's ready.

I love when people say this. /sarcasm

It's not just software, it's the operating system. You can't ship new hardware on an old OS.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Do I know If this report is 100% or even 25% accurate? Of course not. But I'm not going to dismiss it just because she's not naming names. Wonder boy Mark Gurman doesn't always names names either and plenty of his rumors have been accurate.

It should be dismissed because it's ridiculous on it's face. The claim that a big company like Apple, with all the huge data centres they have, doesn't have a centralised cloud infrastructure group just beggars belief.

• Reply 53 of 67
    bikertwin wrote: »

It's not just software, it's the operating system. You can't ship new hardware on an old OS.

Be sarcastic all you want but John Gruber suggested something similar a month or so ago. ;)

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/10/01/it-just-works
    From the outside, it seems like Apple’s software teams can’t keep up with the pace of the hardware teams. Major new versions of iOS aren’t released “when they’re ready”, they’re released when the new iPhone hardware ships. On Twitter the other day, I suggested that perhaps Apple should decouple major iOS feature releases from the iPhone hardware schedule. That’s probably untenable from a marketing perspective, and it might just make things more complex from a QA perspective. But something has to give.

(Just today: My iPhone 6 rebooted after I changed the home screen wallpaper. Tapped a new image in the wallpaper settings, and poof, it rebooted. Worse, it never stopped rebooting. Endless reboot cycle. Now I’m doing a full restore with iTunes. After changing my wallpaper to a different image.)
  • Reply 54 of 67

Mine defaults to where you left off, like all iOS apps.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    ascii wrote: »

It should be dismissed because it's ridiculous on it's face. The claim that a big company like Apple, with all the huge data centres they have, doesn't have a centralised cloud infrastructure group just beggars belief.

We'll see if anybody corroborates it or not. Still I think Apple has a lot of work to do when it comes to the cloud and services in general. We need things like iCloud, continuity, messages and iTunes match to "just work" like ?Pay does.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Open the Music app, tap the More tab, tap Edit, and drag whatever tab you want it to default to to the leftmost tab position, then tap Done.

Problem solved.

How do I get rid of the major lag in the music app on my 5s? Or get it to stop randomly switching to album cover view without me doing anything?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Still I think Apple has a lot of work to do when it comes to the cloud and services in general. We need things like iCloud, continuity, messages and iTunes match to "just work" like ?Pay does.

Well, for the most part it does work. They do have their occasional outages, which always makes the news. What doesn't make the news is all he things that do work as planned: I'm sure they have about a trillion push notifications nowadays, which is mind-boggling. The iTunes Store, apps and music, I've never seen it down. Plus all the other cloud services they provide:

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

What doesn't fully work is the Photos 'app' on iCloud. However, this is still in beta, so giving feedback instead of putting it down is the way top go (not that you were putting it down)

This is what I wrote yesterday, on another forum:

I fully agree that iCloud Photos is not working. I understand it’s in Beta, but the design, so far, is, well, shyte. Accessing Photos in a browser, ticking on ‘Videos’ gives me a page from which I cannot return to Photos. I also cannot create albums from their web interface. The new Photos webpage won’t allow me to view my Shared Photo Streams I created in Aperture. The list goes on. But since it’s in Beta, and the fact that we don’t have the Aperture & iPhoto replacement app ‘Photos’ makes me need to tone down on their iCloud implementation. Still, it worries me, a bit, seeing what they give us now in their Beta release.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Maybe that's the problem. Too many silos and too many people out of the loop that shouldn't be.

That is not what i meant and I suspect you know that.
  • Reply 59 of 67

Problem solved.

How do I get rid of the major lag in the music app on my 5s? Or get it to stop randomly switching to album cover view without me doing anything?

Here's another bug that has existed since the beginning of iTunes Match:

If you buy a track or delete a track whilst iTunes Match is on, you won't then be able to update it until you sign out and sign in again, both to iTunes and to iTunes Match.

There's no good reason why Apple haven't corrected this years ago. It's simply not a priority for them. Like so much of their software, they leave it to languish. With the essentially unlimited money they have available to them, there is no excuse.

iBooks needs a complete overhaul. iTunes needs a complete overhaul. So does the App Store.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Google services are garbage. Gmail's push mail is garbage, YouTube is garbage, their apps are garbage. Reasonable people expect better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

O rly? Why did the iPad ship with iOS 3.2 then? Why didn't they wait for 4.0 to be ready?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Mine defaults to where you left off, like all iOS apps.

It did that back in the old days. Since iOS 7 or so it always defaults to the leftmost option.