Apple reaches record breaking $700 billion market cap as stock surge continues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mpantone wrote: »

The corporate cultures are polar opposites, probably an absolute disaster if Apple tried to acquire and integrate IBM.

Ok, I'll accept that, it just seemed to me for the IP and talent they could 'can' the management, it would be pocket money for Apple and lots to gain ... ... :D
  • Reply 22 of 85

Does everyone on the planet have an iPhone the latest iPhone? No?

Then we haven't reached Peak iPhone. ;)

There fixed that for you ;)
  • Reply 23 of 85
    See? Now it's below $700 billion. Stop posting stupid stories like this one, AI.
  • Reply 24 of 85

We don't.

The only reason why the Breaking tag is here today is because somehow AppleInsider thinks a $700 billion market cap is terribly important.

It's not.

It is a fun bench mark for share holders. So of course it is worth mentioning as Breaking News. I have no doubt we will see it dip and come back so no need to mention it again till $800B. :D
  • Reply 25 of 85
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am concerned that Apple has reached peak sales of iPhone.

I'm not and neither is the market apparently.

Note that Apple hasn't even finished the rollout of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to all international markets, nor has it recorded a single full quarter of China sales of the new models.

Just a refresher, Apple generates more revenue from international sales versus US domestic these days; it has been like this for a while. 

Also, Apple hasn't made a major splash in Brazil, Russia and India, the other three BRIC countries, nor other countries with significant population (like Indonesia, Mexico). There is plenty of growth opportunity available overseas.

In the not-too-distant future, some day Apple will make more money in China than in the United States. If you are to grasp Apple's economic picture (or any large multinational corporation), you will have to understand that the world is not just lil' ol' 'Merika.

Clearly, you have not yet grasped this fundamental concept.

• Reply 26 of 85
    See? Now it's below $700 billion. Stop posting stupid stories like this one, AI.

Oh good you can hear Siri say all those numbers again, she said 700B so fast ... :D
  • Reply 27 of 85

Note that Apple hasn't even finished the rollout of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to all international markets, nor has it recorded a single full quarter of China sales. Just a refresher, Apple generates more revenue from international sales versus US domestic these days; it has been like this for a while.

Also, Apple hasn't made a major splash in Brazil, Russia and India, the other three BRIC countries, nor other countries with significant population (like Indonesia, Mexico). There is plenty of growth opportunity available overseas.

You should also keep in mind that those BRIC nations will continue to be both price sensitive and rampant IP theft territories. Xiaomi is far more likely to dominate with their direct Apple clones running Andtoid.
  • Reply 28 of 85

Note that Apple hasn't even finished the rollout of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to all international markets, nor has it recorded a single full quarter of China sales of the new models.

Just a refresher, Apple generates more revenue from international sales versus US domestic these days; it has been like this for a while. 

In the not-too-distant future, some day Apple will make more money in China than in the United States. If you are to grasp Apple's economic picture (or any large multinational corporation), you will have to understand that the world is not just lil' ol' 'Merika.

Clearly, you have not yet grasped this fundamental concept.

Thank you. You made several excellent points which I had not considered.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You should also keep in mind that those BRIC nations will continue to be both price sensitive and rampant IP theft territories. Xiaomi is far more likely to dominate with their direct Apple clones running Andtoid.

Not to mention Comrade Putin is doing a splendid job pile-driving the Russian economy back to the Soviet age.

• Reply 30 of 85

Not to mention Comrade Putin is doing a splendid job pile-driving the Russian economy back to the Soviet age.

Yes, and the many sanctions being applied against them is severely affecting their economy.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I want Apple to beat Microsoft's record in '99. What do they need $100B or so more?
  • Reply 32 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can't help thinking IBM would make a nice addition to the new Campus ... no overlap in their technologies and a fabulous portfolio these days and lots of IP and talent.

That would make AOL/Time Warner look like a good deal. :lol:
  • Reply 33 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Just waiting for Gatorguy to explain, with copious links, that Google is deliberately keeping its market cap low to encourage its OEMs like Samsung. ;)

I'd like a link the shows me $367 billion as low. Not as high yes, but long away from low. ;)
  • Reply 34 of 85
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I love to ask Siri what Apple's market cap is. Last night, hearing her say "Six hundred ninety-six billion dollars" put a huge grin on my face.

Cortana would just ask if you want her to remember your anniversary.

And, "would you like to stop at a Microsoft store on the way home...to pick up a little nothing?"

• Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And, "would you like to stop at a Microsoft store on the way home...to pick up a little nothing?"

"Where would you like to go today?"

"Your potential is my passion."

"DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

:D 

• Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am concerned that Apple has reached peak sales per quarter of iPhone. Admittedly, I can't envision new features that would create the unprecedented demand of previous iPhone versions.

The growth of Apple may rely upon new products. I hope iPad Pro is real. I hope Apple considers the gaming console market / home automation market.

I've been called a troll for saying less than that.

You're being sarcastic... right...

• Reply 37 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Just waiting for Gatorguy to explain, with copious links, that Google is deliberately keeping its market cap low to encourage its OEMs like Samsung. ;)
    Your posts seem a bit odd sometimes, apparently looking to create issues when none exist. Too quiet for you today perhaps?
  • Reply 38 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can't help thinking IBM would make a nice addition to the new Campus ... no overlap in their technologies and a fabulous portfolio these days and lots of IP and talent.

AT&T has a market cap of $178 billion. Apple should pick them up (with pocket change from Cook’s bluejeans).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

My OCD will not be satisfied until Apple hits one Trillion

Meh, get a clue. Only market share means anything. Forget revenue, forget profit, forget customer service, forget everything. He who sells the most, wins. And that’s the bottom line because Stone Cold said so. Gimme a hell yes!

• Reply 39 of 85
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

edit: Why is Google thought to be worth $367 billion? What products do they sell (please don't tell me I'm the product; we've been through all that) Do they have software they sell to companies? I know of Map Maker, or whatever it's called.

Microsoft I understand. They have a massive market, getting their revenue from subscriptions and only need to write software once, selling it to the world by a simple Cmd-C/Cmd-V. Excuse me, Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V

This is the problem with the stock market. They calculate a company's market cap taking the outstanding shares by the cost (not value) of each share. Simple math but it really doesn't have anything to do with the actual value of a company, only its shares. The stock market doesn't have anything to do with the value of any company, it's completely a separate gambling institution. The bigger problem, however, is that the entire world's financial livelihood is based on this gambling institution. We already know the US DoD (including military) is the largest employer in the world but I'd like to know how many people are employed by the stock market. This includes brokers, traders, analysts, and all those other people who don't have a real job. Apple Inc. produces products and sells services, which people can touch, see and understand. The stock market shuffles money around, making money for the traders and sometimes for people like you and me. They don't produce a single product. 

Getting back to Google. They're almost like the stock market. Like you said, they really don't produce anything, they just manage a huge service selling advertisements along with people's personal information. The actual products you can touch are usually fluff and never hit the market and when they do, there's no way they could keep Google in the black for very long.

At this point, there's no way to change the stock market to actually be about investing in a company, with the invested money going to the company and investors reaping the benefits or losing their money (just like the stock market). The only difference with this plan is that Apple would get my money directly instead of it going to a bunch of traders. With that money, Apple is able to buy materials, pay employees and continue its development into the best company in the world. Now what would Google do? Why would anyone invest in Google when they don't sell anything other than advertising?

• Reply 40 of 85
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I never claimed that Apple would dominate marketshare in those countries, just that there is enormous growth potential for Apple.

Note that Apple is basically the only smartphone manufacturer turning a profit.

If Xiaomi, Huawei, etc. sell more units, that's not a big deal since their margins are thin, particularly on bargain handsets.