Lack of centralized cloud infrastructure team hampering Apple's development of iCloud services - rep

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    philboogie wrote: »
    Mine defaults to where you left off, like all iOS apps.

It did that back in the old days. Since iOS 7 or so it always defaults to the leftmost option.

Strange; I'm on iOS8 and it defaults back to where I left off. Not automatically to the leftmost view. Doesn't matter if I close the app between tries.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange; I'm on iOS8 and it defaults back to where I left off. Not automatically to the leftmost view. Doesn't matter if I close the app between tries.

I'm noticing my iPad is the only one exhibiting the issue. My iPhone recalls its place like it's supposed to.

Odd.

• Reply 63 of 67
    What bugs me about Music.app is how poorly it handles playlists. Once playing, if I leave the playlist and app Music fails to consistently remember my place when I return.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

O rly? Why did the iPad ship with iOS 3.2 then? Why didn't they wait for 4.0 to be ready?

That was a hot mess from a marketing and logistics point of view.

The iPad didn't get 4.0 or 4.1. It had to wait until 4.2. And of course people whined and bitched the whole time.

And, sure, the ? Watch will be 8.2 and the iPad Pro might be 8.3--when hardware products are released mid-cycle of an OS, there's little that can be done. But Apple will likely continue releasing a new version of iOS with its flagship iPhones.

What people are failing to realize is that this OS flakiness is precisely because of the innovation with iOS 8, Yosemite, and iPhone, ? Watch, and iPad Air 2 (and maybe Pro) that all the "analysts" claimed Apple didn't have. People bitched when Apple didn't innovate, people bitch when Apple innovates. I honestly don't think future versions could possibly have this many new APIs and new devices--this kind of thing happens once a decade or so. So relax. The pace of innovation will calm down after next year.

• Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm noticing my iPad is the only one exhibiting the issue. My iPhone recalls its place like it's supposed to.

Odd.

Yes, my iPad Air and iPad mini Retina do the first-tab thing, and the iPhone 6 and iPod touch remember the last position.

• Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Be sarcastic all you want but John Gruber suggested something similar a month or so ago. image

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/10/01/it-just-works

Gruber is often brilliant.

But not always. ;)

Things will return to normal next year with iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 (I can see Apple's ad campaign now: "We turned it up to 11.")

It will be a painful year, but that's the price you pay for innovation. Hopefully Apple learns some lessons here. I agree the current situation is not ideal, but it's better than no innovation.

What's that old saying? Fast, good, and cheap. Pick 2. In this case it's more like fast, good, and innovative. 

• Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Syncing is a difficult problem, especially if the objects in question are editable. They should take it slow.

The Podcast app is pretty bad at synching. I have mine set to synch every six hours on wifi AND run in the background.

It sporadically won't download new podcasts. I have to manually launch it at home to get new episodes. Very, very annoying.

Otherwise, use Google for everything else.

Other companies have been well ahead of Apple in cloud services for quite awhile.

On the hardware side, it's nice that Apple is a "follower" and lets others come out and stumble, then comes out with some hardware that is near perfect (at least solidly since the original iMac), but on the cloud/services side, seems they are just simply behind and "seem" slow to get their act together.

Tough that they have had their skunkworks for this long and will need to change their structure/process on this matter. For Apple, being secret doesn't matter anymore. Before it did. Before their surprises and secrecy created HUGE amounts of buzz, you'd think people were going to explode. The press went mad before Apple events.

Things are different now. Big company, hard to keep secrets. And some secrets leaking, planned or not, are now like movie trailers. You want to see a little of the movie ahead of time to be prepped (although it is nice to be blown away by movies you'd never heard of and went to go see).

So hopefully they get things better. It can't be easy.

For all that I am critical on Apple, they are freaking amazing. Really, can't think of another company that can execute so well while being so big and growing so much. It's pretty amazing.