Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Whoa buddy.  Maybe it's time to switch to decaf.

If you recall, Google's motto is "Don't be evil."
    And no, you don't need to kill puppies to be evil.

In fact, there appears to be a fairly lively debate on what "evil" is:

"The <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Philosophy">philosophical</a>
     question of whether morality is absolute, relative, or illusory leads to questions about the nature of evil, with views falling into one of four opposed camps: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Moral absolutism">moral absolutism</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoralism" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Amoralism">amoralism</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Moral relativism">moral relativism</a>
    , and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_universalism" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Moral universalism">moral universalism</a>
    ."

Make us all proud and read the f<span style="line-height:1.4em;">ull article: </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil</span>

Nobody does evil for the sake of evil, therefore evil doesn't exist. It's perverted good.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

They spurred innovation?  Maps sucks.  You are delusional if you think anything but that.

Vector mapping. 3D city view.

• Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Ye of little faith. It won't be long until Apple's maps app is the best out there, give them a little time, considering it's relatively new, it's pretty damn impressive already, and better than the competition in many respects.

I'm sure they could do the same with search. I would use Apple Search for sure. Even if the results were slighter worse (for a while) I could sleep happy knowing that google wasn't raping my personal data.

I am stating the current view of things.  I more than anyone wanted to see Maps be better than it is.  I just hope it gets there soon.  I would love Apple Search especially with what I have seen with Spotlight.  They just need to make sure they approach it properly.

• Reply 44 of 92

Yahoo doesn't even do their own search results anymore... powered by Bing since 2009. So, really the only search results in town are Google and Bing. Not much of a choice, the new evil empire or the old evil empire.

Apple doesn't need to build their own search engine per se, just aggregate results from others like DuckDuckGo does and present them in a Apple frontend. It would definitely be a good addition to the growing "cloud" services stable. Plus, backend search engines can be added and removed at anytime, which gives them great flexibility and bargaining power.

Eventually, iTunes and the App store and iCloud and Beats Music could be combined with this into an all encompassing portal. A one-stop-shop all within the walled garden.

• Reply 45 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Vector mapping. 3D city view.

All that existed already, just not on iOS.
  • Reply 46 of 92

They spurred innovation?  Maps sucks.  You are delusional if you think anything but that.

Come off what?  Just stating a fact.  Apple has a lot to work on.

?Maps sucks? Uh, even when it launched, it was WORLDS better than the likes of Nokia Here, and let's not forget that travesty known as BB Maps, HOLY CRAP what a steaming pile of, well, CRAP! I use nothing BUT ?Maps and it's fantastic!

sog35 wrote: »
    Agree.

Apple should buy them and rename it AppleSearch

We should forward this to TC, I love that idea :D

sog35 wrote: »
    Are you stuck in 2012?

It took a couple of years but Maps is great.

He's just another Apple hating troll trying to get attention, ignore him.
  • Reply 47 of 92

As an Apple supporter I still have the balls to call them out when they mis step.  Maps is still in a distant second place to Google maps.  Try both side by side you will see what I am talking about.
    I have tried them buddy, and Maps is on-par with Google Maps. In fact, they've gotten so good, I deleted Google Maps off ALL my devices with pleasure, thank you very much.

BTW, saying you're an Apple supporter doesn't help excuse you're just trolling.
  • Reply 48 of 92

You guys are relentless with this troll business.  It is quite comical.  Someone offers a legitimate statement regarding one of Apple's services and instantly I am a troll and do not know what I am talking about.  Allow me to bow down to your graciousness.  I am from the Midwest so maybe the map data is not as good compared to where some of you are from.  I find that with vehicle gps systems have trouble versus in big metro areas where the data is more accurate.  We will see how Apple progresses with Maps.

• Reply 49 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Anything but Google or Yahoo. Bing would seem to be the alternative they'd probably look at, given that Siri and Spotlight already use it.

Really, Bing, yucky, there is still no competition to Google's Search as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to programming anyway, I never find what I'm looking for with other search engines. I don't care who Apple uses as their default search engine as long as I can go into settings as change the default back to Google. Though if I can't even change the default browser, email, chat, client, etc. in iOS, it wouldn't surprise me if I got stuck with Bing.

• Reply 50 of 92
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

... Google knows more about you than you'd prefer them to know. Google knows when I'm home, what temperature I prefer, whether or not my house is on fire, what I search for, and where I am at all times...

I wouldn't mind Google knowing whether my house is on fire... if it could come without the rest of the knowledge.

• Reply 51 of 92
    Live in Canada and just tested DuckduckGo and the results were kind of pathetic. If they switch to DuckDuckGo I won't be happy about it.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

So, you believed EVERYTHING that was written in that article? Really? You?

There was a time Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo! and others were not nearly as good with cloud computing as they are today. Apple is doing an incredible job with iCloud, in my opinion. My pictures sync with all of my devices quickly. So does my music, notes, calendar, browser bookmarks and e-books. 

There are many people who continue to choose to believe Steve Jobs was flawless even though they know the truth. These people will find supposed flaws in Apple products then write about how the products to do not stack up to Steve Jobs' vision of the products. These writings then hit the blogosphere to rapidly spread doubt about Apple.

I am not wearing blinders about Apple. There is always room from improvement in all products. 

Apple getting into search would put all search-related companies on immediate notice. Sure, there will be a multitude of criticism about "Apple Search" being inferior to other search engines, but I bet the other companies would step up their search games just like Google stepped up its Maps game when Apple Maps was released.

I hope Apple does get into the search business to remove one more Google piece from iOS and OS X.

Hear hear.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    relic wrote: »
    Really, Bing, yucky, there is still no competition to Google's Search as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to programming anyway, I never find what I'm looking for with other search engines. I don't care who Apple uses as their default search engine as long as I can go into settings as change the default back to Google. Though if I can't even change the default browser, email, chat, client, etc. in iOS, it wouldn't surprise me if I got stuck with Bing.

What's stopping anyone from opening Safari (or Chrome) and typing www.google.com in the address bar?
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Tip for naysayers and haters: you'd get more attack value out of mentioning Ping instead of Maps, because Maps works pretty well. (Of course I wouldn't expect you android users to know that)

Maps has one problem though, a key person left:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/25/top-apple-maps-app-manager-for-watch-ios-os-x-exits-for-uber/

metrix wrote: »

I'll second DDG. It's not like you can't still do an occasional Goog or Bing search when you need to. 

A simple suffix of Space Exclaimation mark G (!g) in the omnbar will search through Goolge. Or use !y for Yahoo.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm sure they could do the same with search. I would use Apple Search for sure. Even if the results were slighter worse (for a while) I could sleep happy knowing that google wasn't raping my personal data.

I don't imagine it's likely to provide better results than Google without the data collection piece. They just have great data, and the horror of them knowing what you're going to search for before you search... provides super fast and well aligned results, often without actually hitting enter or "search."

I think that without the data collection piece, you're looking at "adequate" search, which DDG certainly provides. The predictive stuff is really handy though. Security vs. convenience is nothing new though.

• Reply 56 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Speaking of Apple maps, according to Wonder Boy Mark Gurman one of Apple's top managers on the maps team left for Uber in October. And apparently a number of Apple maps employees have left for Uber in the past several months.

http://tinyurl.com/mrvdykk
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Whoa buddy.  Maybe it's time to switch to decaf.

If you recall, Google's motto is "Don't be evil."

And no, you don't need to kill puppies to be evil.

In fact, there appears to be a fairly lively debate on what "evil" is:

"The philosophical

question of whether morality is absolute, relative, or illusory leads to questions about the nature of evil, with views falling into one of four opposed camps: moral absolutism

amoralism

moral relativism

, and moral universalism

."

Make us all proud and read the full article: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil

Nobody does evil for the sake of evil, therefore evil doesn't exist. It's perverted good.

Oh, evil exists alright. I wouldn't describe it as perverted good; rather, the absence of good.

• Reply 58 of 92

IF Apple chooses another search, one less work for yours truly which would be MUCH appreciated!

The very FIRST thing I always do on any device / computer is to change from google ... :smokey: 

• Reply 59 of 92
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    I stopped using Google when they switched to the horrible mobile layout on iOS (when they had large tabs for each google property.) Since then they've improved the experience, but the layout still lags behind Bing for providing unobstrusive search results. (After all I want the search results not some brand advertising.)

Once DDG became available I switched again for the enhanced privacy. In terms of search quality, they're all on par. Certainly each has sublte benefits that cause me to switch over manually when needed, but for the absolute majority of searches I'm finding what I'm looking for on any of the three search engines.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    I wish this article had bothered to mention the 'why' of Jobs 'going thermonuclear '. As it reads, Jobs looks like a freak, and Schmidt walks free, name unmentioned. This article is poorly written!