• Reply 61 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm holding out for 17" running Mac OS X /s

and a eSATA connector.

• Reply 62 of 88
    originalg wrote: »
    Give me an iPad deal this holiday season and I'm in
    Agreed. I'm hoping for a nice price break on the new iPad Air 2 for Black Friday this week! Just waitin' with finger on the trigger ????.
  • Reply 63 of 88

Right. Sure. This is the same IDC who, back in 2011, predicted that by 2015 the Worldwide Smartphone Market would look like this:

Android: 43.8% (Actually pretty close to what it is now)

Windows: 20.3% (Really. Non-entity then and now)

iOS:  16.9%  (They actually said iOS would go DOWN!!)

Blackberry: 13.9%  (Hah!)

Symbian:  0.1% (Surprisingly accurate)

Others:  5.5%  (Whatever)

Hey, this is a real prediction that they made. Found it on another site that shall not be named.

You didn't have to be a psychic to know that these numbers were way off.

• Reply 64 of 88
    Itching to upgrade the iPad 3, but would rather a 12-15" form factor. iPad 3 is still working great for now... Although the 16gb is a pain in the neck

I’m waiting for the 13”, myself.
  • Reply 65 of 88

i have been telling apple that ipad is a half baked product on cnet.com for the last 2 years,  too bad neither apple nor samsung cares. 

• Reply 66 of 88
    Not mentioned in the article: the Intel a subsidy for tablets, going away at the beginning of 2015. As manufacturers begin to play the "we have to pay for it ourselves "game, the average price to the consumer of the android tablets will rise. So, not just the next six months, but the next year should be interesting. We shall see, we shall see.
  • Reply 67 of 88

Lol, so much for tablets taking over the world and replacing desktop/laptop computers!  Where are you guys who were predicting computers would be gone and everyone would be using tablets instead?  I still have yet to meet a single person who ditched their computer for a tablet.  

• Reply 68 of 88
    Not a huge surprise. Played with an Air 2 for 14 days before taking it back. I appreciate the mid tier addition of 64GB instead of 32, but it wasn't noticably faster or prettier than the 4 it would have replaced. Camera was better, but how often do I take photos with my iPad? Three times in 3 years maybe. And the battery life was noticably decreased, which is a problem when comparing a brand new unit to one that's been thru two years of power cycles.
    Hope there are some markets Apple has yet to explore, otherwise saturation is going to be an issue.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What will be the upgrade cycle for the Apple Watch?

Who knows. But when you produce quality merchandice the upgrade cycle naturally becomes longer. Which is a good thing even if it means Apple sells less of any one particular device. My primary every day laptop is 6 years old and still does everything I need it to. Why upgrade? (well, I have to admit time is nigh. Within 12 months Ill upgrade :)

• Reply 70 of 88
    I bought a new iPad annually ever since the first model came out. However, once I saw that the screen size of the iPhone Plus was large enough to accommodate most every need, and in a single device, I sold my iPad Air.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

A notebook without a keyboard is called a tablet, definition of a tablet as stated by Webster's; a small portable computer that accepts input directly on to its screen rather than via a keyboard or mouse. Though I do agree on some points, ever since I started using my Surface Pro 3, I know longer want a laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen. Most here will disagree with you though because Apple doesn't use touchscreen panels in their laptops, if Apple doesn't use them, it sucks. Once Apple starts using them it will become awesome and revolutionary.

I have a surface three and its like the worst of both worlds. Its a computer with a too small screen but then the shape feels weird when I want to read books off of it. The only way it works is as a really dumbed down laptop. Even then I have to stand it up on the desk and I have to be right up on top of the screen. Its an annoyingly small screen to look at while sitting around. If Im standing up the shape is awkward to hold onto.  The apps can break in half to be to halfs of the display. So now I'm even more limited than before. I tried to use a keyboard with my iPad and I was like screw this I can just use my lap top if that's the case... iPad is perfect for my needs. I can see why Apple didn't try to combine laptops and touch screens. I actually hate to touch the screen on my computers. Even with the Surface Id end up using the shitty track pad. Usually when I touch my laptop screen it's to point at something on it. I don't want it to actually do something.

• Reply 72 of 88
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Who knows. But when you produce quality merchandice the upgrade cycle naturally becomes longer. Which is a good thing even if it means Apple sells less of any one particular device. My primary every day laptop is 6 years old and still does everything I need it to. Why upgrade? (well, I have to admit time is nigh. Within 12 months Ill upgrade :)

I think people were able to buy some time upgrading their computers by getting the tablets and now its just time to upgrade the computer.

• Reply 74 of 88
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Here's another creative use for your iPad.

This time it is for videographers.

It is time for Apple to get serious about creatives again. Why can't we have those accessories on the Apple store :???:

To end with controversy:

A 12" iPad would certainly trash the 11" Macbook Air.

• Reply 75 of 88
    There should be also average selling price for each system. For Android it could be 80-100 USD because big part of volume are those junk 50 USD tablets full of spyware described in another article today.
  • Reply 76 of 88

What would be the possible reason for such slowdown especially for the tablets?

• Reply 77 of 88
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    IDC is so full of crap. Nuff said.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, good points. People traditionally upgrade watches very infrequently, and Apple is really trying to market this as a watch not a computer. But on the other hand, maybe the reason for lack of upgrading watches in the past has been their static feature set, which probably won't be a property of the Apple Watch (for a while at least).

• Reply 79 of 88
    Does anyone listen to IDC any more? Ha!
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I've bought 4 [Android tablets] over the last three years and they all had serious problems. They were returned.

There's a saying... "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me." 

I don't know how it goes for "fool me four times".