Android tablets at Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Walmart found to include major security flaws, malware

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 177
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

     

    I wasn't talking about Android users or even Android Tablets in general. There are some pretty decent Android based tablets on the market, the Amazon Kindle 7 or 8.9 HDX, Sony's Z2, especially their new Z3 Compact, Nvidia's Shield, even the new Nokia N1 for only $250 is stacking up to be a really decent machine, especially for the price. I'm referring to these under $100 monstrosities that serve no purpose other than to give people headaches. Anyone who purchases them are simply ignorant to the technology that their getting into, this is still no excuse. You really shouldn't say that most Android users are ignorant, in my experience I've actually found more people less knowledgeable to computers that own iPads than I did with those who use Android, but at least they had the common sense to still buy an iPad over this garbage. Owning an iPad doesn't make you smarter, just means you had to money to do so. Those who can't afford an iPad can still find a decent tablet for $200, anything less than that and they really shouldn't bother.


     

    These come under "other", the dominant category which is what makes Android "number one".

     

    The vast majority of Android users, use (or don't really use, going on usage statistics) junk like this.

  • Reply 22 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post



    Yeah sorry but anyone who buys these things are just plain ignorant and deserve the discomforts. Especially when Amazon now has Kindled starting at 100 bucks. This story is nothing but click bait.

     

    Click bait? Hardly. I know there are lots of cheap Android tablets and you get what you pay for: slow processor, no access to Google Play, lousy screen quality, poor build quality and terrible service/support. These are things I expect from ANY bargain priced electronics.

     

    But to find out they come brand-new with unpatched security holes and even back doors is news to me. This story is anything but click bait - it's highlighted something I was previously unaware of.

  • Reply 23 of 177

    I guess you could call it a "Back DoorBuster" sale.

  • Reply 24 of 177
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

    Those who can't afford an iPad can still find a decent tablet for $200, anything less than that and they really shouldn't bother.


     

    There have been some crazy deals on iPads recently. A typical Android user could afford one, if they wanted to. Even an older iPad is heaven compared to brand new Android devices.

  • Reply 25 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

    Exactly, especially when an extra 150 could have gotten them something that would have lasted much longer, faster, just a better machine all around.


     

    Exactly. These people didn't have a gun to their heads... and there is lots of choice,

     

    Calling these people "victims" is just moronic. jmho

  • Reply 26 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

    There have been some crazy deals on iPads recently. A typical Android user could afford one, if they wanted to. Even an older iPad is heaven compared to brand new Android devices.


     

    It depends on what you will be using your device for. Personally I use my iPad for music creation for other tasks I prefer using my Windows 8.1 and Android tablet for. There is no such thing as the best device, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

  • Reply 27 of 177
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Well, the least they could do is include a piece of paper that says something to the effect: "Warning - the software included with this device is more than 1 revision out of date and may have serious & multiple security issues. Please update the software before you use this product." Or even better, it should say "this device will update its software automatically, the first time it is connected to the internet".
  • Reply 28 of 177
    relic wrote: »
    Exactly, especially when an extra 150 could have gotten them something that would have lasted much longer, faster, just a better machine all around.

    Exactly, especially when an extra 150 could have gotten them [an iPad] that would have lasted much longer, faster, just a better machine all around.
  • Reply 29 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

    There have been some crazy deals on iPads recently. A typical Android user could afford one, if they wanted to. Even an older iPad is heaven compared to brand new Android devices.


    Agreed, if that is what the user wants there has been some great deals, even $250 for the iPad Mini 2 is a great deal.

  • Reply 30 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Exactly, especially when an extra 150 could have gotten them [an iPad] that would have lasted much longer, faster, just a better machine all around.

    If an iPad fits the users needs absolutely.

  • Reply 31 of 177
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Lots of non productive comments on here but lets try this angle. In general consumers trust that when they purchase a device, it has been vetted by the retailer and is safe to buy and use. Consumers purchasing these tablets, do so because they are cheap and most will have little experience of, or exposure to these devices previously. They won't expect these devices to be full of security holes or malware, if they even know what malware is. Basically, I'm saying that the retailer has a duty of care to their customers. None of the mocking statements by posters here will help the consumers but pressure on the retailers to actually test and inspect the devices they sell will. There should be some serious naming and shaming going on.

    Thank you! Yes these people go and buy these tables from people who are supposed to be honest and knowledgeable. And yet they end up being deceived. Most of these people are on a budget so if they can save some money on something that "works like an iPad" and costs 6 times less they will buy the cheaper option to use that money on something else. It is mostly dishonest stores and sales people's fault. Pure greed!
  • Reply 32 of 177
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If all someone wants is a cheap YouTube player for a little kid, they should at least not have to worry about security and privacy. That's a niche Android could serve well IF it were actually secure in practice.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    Android vulnerabilities pre-installed for your convenience.
  • Reply 34 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    Thank you! Yes these people go and buy these tables from people who are supposed to be honest and knowledgeable. And yet they end up being deceived. Most of these people are on a budget so if they can save some money on something that "works like an iPad" and costs 6 times less they will buy the cheaper option to use that money on something else. It is mostly dishonest stores and sales people's fault. Pure greed!

     

    Caveat emptor.

     

    ["It works just like an iPad."  "But it cost 1/4 the price of an iPad?" "Yes!" "Oh, boy!"... if it sounds too good to be true... (how many of these sayings do I have to put up here. Stuff I've been hearing since I could understand language.) ]

  • Reply 35 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

    You basically just described the average Android user right there.


    Please spare a thought for those of us who operate in both ecosystems (Android and iOS) when you spurt out insults. 

  • Reply 36 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    If all someone wants is a cheap YouTube player for a little kid, they should at least not have to worry about security and privacy. That's a niche Android could serve well IF it were actually secure in practice.

     

    Just tell the kid not to do any banking or purchasing on the device.

  • Reply 37 of 177
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,974member

    This reminds me of an incident a while back at a client-site.  A tech approached me complaining that his tablet couldn't connect to the WiFi network.  The tablet he handed me was some cheap-shit Chinese knockoff-tablet that with the exception of it being all plastic, looked like an iPad.  Cheapa$$ bought it online for $60.  The tablet was so painful to use, it was more an old palm-pilot tactile-style screen than a "touch" screen.  After an hour of troubleshooting, I gave up.  Nothing worked on that tablet.  He blamed the WiFi network, until I pulled-out my iPad and connected with zero issues.  I asked him why he didn't at least buy something more remotely better, like a Galaxy tablet and he looked at me straight-faced and said those were too expensive.  I responded that between my time wasted, and his, he could have purchased a quality tablet and be done with it.  To this day, he still couldn't get his money back because the company was based in China and essentially told him he was on his own.



    So you get what you pay for.  If you can't afford the real thing, you're better off not buying crap to begin with.



    Shame on these manufacturers for putting out sheer garbage.  The consumer as well shares a lot of the blame as well.  I've heard time-and-time again from non-tech-savvy people that they bought their $50 tablet because they were told "The salesguy said it's just like an iPad, just cheaper!".  Well... serves them right, and I essentially walk away from them.



    The sad part is that there are resources being put in to build this junk, which ends up becoming landfill-material.  Is this the pride-and-joy of the Chinese knockoff community?  Keep churning out junk cuz buying 5 tablets is still cheaper than an iPad?  Really?

  • Reply 38 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    Exactly. These people didn't have a gun to their heads... and there is lots of choice,

     

    Calling these people "victims" is just moronic. jmho


     

    No, they are absolutely victims. If I buy a cheap Windows PC I don't expect it to have an SSD, dedicated graphics card for gaming or 16GB of RAM. I KNOW it's a bargain PC.

     

    But what I don't expect to get is a PC with existing back doors or other security issues. When I buy a new PC it doesn't come with Windows 98, ME or XP. When you buy a cheap Android tablet, it actually DOES come with the equivalent of Windows 98, ME or XP installed. And to make things worse, it comes with a PIRATED version of Windows with who knows how many modifications or "updates".

  • Reply 39 of 177
    Made possible by your friends in China.
  • Reply 40 of 177
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

     

    No, they are absolutely victims. If I buy a cheap Windows PC I don't expect it to have an SSD, dedicated graphics card for gaming or 16GB of RAM. I KNOW it's a bargain PC.

     

    But what I don't expect to get is a PC with existing back doors or other security issues. When I buy a new PC it doesn't come with Windows 98, ME or XP. When you buy a cheap Android tablet, it actually DOES come with the equivalent of Windows 98, ME or XP installed. And to make things worse, it comes with a PIRATED version of Windows with who knows how many modifications or "updates".


     

     

    If I go out to buy furniture and I have a choice between a $200 couch and a $500 couch but I take the $200 to save money... you sure as hell won't find me complaining about the legs falling off of it a year later. Maybe some people are that stupid but I have always known that when you buy cheap crap there are always going to be problems with it that are not apparent to the eye.

     

    Victims? What bullshit.

Sign In or Register to comment.