Union pushes Apple for better treatment of campus security guards

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 98
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

    So, you all stood up to cheer when Apple tried to look out for assembly line workers in China,

    but you don't give a s**t about quality of life of American workers in a more inherently dangerous job?

    Don't these people contribute to the safety of, among others, Apple employees, facilities, and therefor, IP?

     

    With a high profile comes a certain responsibility - I don't see anyone accusing Apple of mistreating

    these folks, but they're certainly in a position to be a good citizen and good samaritan - a leader - in this.

  • Reply 22 of 98
    Someone needs to tell Jesse Jackson to get bent.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    boredumb wrote: »
    So, you all stood up to cheer when Apple tried to look out for assembly line workers in China,
    but you don't give a s**t about quality of life of American workers in a more inherently dangerous job?
    Don't these people contribute to the safety of, among others, Apple employees, facilities, and therefor, IP?

    With a high profile comes a certain responsibility - I don't see anyone accusing Apple of mistreating
    these folks, but they're certainly in a position to be a good citizen and good samaritan - a leader - in this.

    I don't get emotionally involved until Mike Daisey makes a sensationalized movie about it.

    Seriously though, in all for them getting higher wages but when I read that Jesse Jackson is involved I naturally get turned off.
  • Reply 24 of 98

    Dear Mr. Cook pay me 40.00 an hour and I'll take the job. C'mon, I live in Texas and work for the prison system making 25.00 an hour so why are they being paid slave labor in California? Oh, I forgot they have to pay UNION dues. plus 20.00 an hour = less than 15.00 an hour which is poverty level there.

    UNION is Mafia. Who do you think started that crap.

  • Reply 25 of 98
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

    ...a more inherently dangerous job?

     

    I don’t know that security of a building is inherently more dangerous than inhaling carcinogens in a communist nation.

  • Reply 26 of 98
    foadfoad Posts: 710member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

     

    So, you all stood up to cheer when Apple tried to look out for assembly line workers in China,

    but you don't give a s**t about quality of life of American workers in a more inherently dangerous job?

    Don't these people contribute to the safety of, among others, Apple employees, facilities, and therefor, IP?

     

    With a high profile comes a certain responsibility - I don't see anyone accusing Apple of mistreating

    these folks, but they're certainly in a position to be a good citizen and good samaritan - a leader - in this.


     

    Saying people don't care about American workers is a pretty strong assumption. Unions in the US have a history of corruption, especially those unions tied to non-skilled employees. I personally think everything needs perspective. Comparing the massive issues associated with extremely underpaid employees in Chinese factories and someone making $20 as a security guard, is disingenuous. Apple is obviously being singled out because of their prominence and I'm not saying that they shouldn't look at things or they don't care but getting involved in unionization discussions is a slippery slope. As others have stated, SEIU isn't the poster child of an infallible organization. Rev. Jesse Jackson isn't infallible either.

  • Reply 27 of 98
    go faster wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Cook pay me 40.00 an hour and I'll take the job. C'mon, I live in Texas and work for the prison system making 25.00 an hour so why are they being paid slave labor in California? Oh, I forgot they have to pay UNION dues. plus 20.00 an hour = less than 15.00 an hour which is poverty level there.
    UNION is Mafia. Who do you think started that crap.

    Got that right
  • Reply 28 of 98
    boredumb wrote: »
    quality of life of American workers in a more inherently dangerous job?

    These guys aren't there to stop Hans Gruber. They're there to stop Timmy from Duluth from getting in and seeing a prototype. Hardly dangerous.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Drop Dead!
  • Reply 30 of 98
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    If Apple’s mistreating them, they’re mistreating them. If they’re not, these guys need to be punished. I tend to believe that Apple isn’t.

     

    Push hard enough and Apple will switch to automated security.




    You mean like Microsoft is doing?  Seriously.

     

    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/194338-here-come-the-autonomous-robot-security-guards-what-could-possibly-go-wrong

  • Reply 31 of 98
    malax wrote: »

    Although Microsoft was just looking at those robots, it really won't be that long before these jobs are eliminated. Guards, drivers, maids, and the list goes on. In many cases it'll be because there are no people available to fill the positions, in other cases it'll be because people are just too unreliable, too expensive and too much of a liability.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

    "Employees holding skill positions at tech companies like Apple are widely considered to garner lopsided salaries compared to contract workers who perform menial duties, such as security guards."

     

    Huh, people with valuable, uncommon skills make more money than unskilled workers.  Mind boggling.

  • Reply 33 of 98
    malax wrote: »
    "Employees holding skill positions at tech companies like Apple are widely considered to garner lopsided salaries compared to contract workers who perform menial duties, such as security guards."

    Huh, people with valuable, uncommon skills make more money than unskilled workers.  Mind boggling.

    This is EXACTLY the kind of entitlement mentality that takes over when people are given raises or perks for no reason and envy over other employees takes hold. I'd fire every one of those guards and get a new company with temp guards, then I'd start looking into solutions to get rid of more of them with automation. Attempts at corporate blackmail should be met with overwhelming opposition.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    This is EXACTLY the kind of entitlement mentality that takes over when people are given raises or perks for no reason and envy over other employees takes hold. I'd fire every one of those guards and get a new company with temp guards, then I'd start looking into solutions to get rid of more of them with automation. Attempts at corporate blackmail should be met with overwhelming opposition.

     

    Julia Pierson might be looking for a job in the security field.

  • Reply 35 of 98
    PM only makes $46/hr? They need to come down to San Diego. 

    $24 for a firefighter? Seriously? Talk about underpaid!! 

    foad wrote: »

    Each of those jobs require either extensive training or extensive education.




    I provided the examples of wages as a reference. As previously stated, the wages seem low to me. For example, $39 per hour for a Registered Nurse is entry level pay from a decade ago. Perhaps the nurses at the county medical center (Santa Clara County Medical Center) are paid $39 per hour but I don't know a single nurse who makes only $39 per hour.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Once unions are no longer exempt from anti-monopoly laws I won't have a problem with them, until then - it's a racket.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swift View Post



    One of the inexplicable things to me is the anti-unionism among technologists. You know, someday the billionaires won't like you, and then you'll be screwed and have nowhere to go.



    Yes....because they OWE me a job (/rolls eyes)

    Entitled much?

  • Reply 38 of 98
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

     



    Yes....because they OWE me a job (/rolls eyes)

    Entitled much?




    You know that billionaires only hire people because they like you right?  It's all charity and kindness.

  • Reply 39 of 98
    So now Apple has to police independent security contractor companies? Isn't that, oh I don't know, the f***ing GOVERNMENT's job?
  • Reply 40 of 98
    $24 for a firefighter? Seriously? Talk about underpaid!! 
    I see the inherent danger in this job. But on the other hand, how many jobs pay you while you eat, sleep, and watch TV? If I'm picking heroes, I'd have to go with volunteer firefighter. Same job with less training and worse equipment.

    I would have picked police officer and high school teacher from the list as the most underpaid.
Sign In or Register to comment.