Natalie Portman rumored for troubled Steve Jobs biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
A second major Hollywood star could soon join the Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs biopic, according to a Wednesday report, with actress Natalie Portman said to be in discussions with Universal over a role in the film.

While it is unclear what role Portman would play, she would seem to best fit that of Jobs's daughter Lisa, from whom Jobs was long estranged before reconciling later in life. The discussions were first reported by Deadline.

Screenwriter Sorkin has previously suggested that Lisa would play a crucial role in the film, which is said to revolve around three high-pressure product introductions: the Mac, iPod, and iPhone.

If Portman --?best known from her roles in Star Wars, V for Vendetta, and Thor --?does become attached, she could reunite with German actor Michael Fassbender, with whom she recently teamed up on a mystery project from director Terrence Malick. Fassbender was approached for the role of Jobs after Christian Bale passed.

The Jobs film, which screenwriter Sorkin is adapting from Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, has suffered a number of setbacks. Both Bale and director David Fincher have declined to participate after being attached, and the project was recently dropped by Sony after some two years in development.

It was picked up less than a week later by Universal, however, with Fincher replacement Danny Boyle and Fassbender reportedly on board. Seth Rogen is also said to be in final talks to play Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Natalie Portwoman
  • Reply 2 of 60

This seems like a BS rumour leaked out in an attempt to generate buzz and possibly attract other stars to sign on.

• Reply 3 of 60
    The development of this movie could be made into a movie - if it gets made.

You wonder if by the time it comes out, that anyone will actually be interested.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Terrible choice. She looks nothing like Steve Jobs!
  • Reply 5 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grape CEO View Post

Natalie Portwoman

But, is it a USB3 or a Thunderbolt Portwoman...?

(We know which one Thor thinks.)

• Reply 6 of 60
    droidftw wrote: »
    Lol maybe a bit of prosthetics required
  • Reply 7 of 60

She would make a great Steve Jobs. You're just trying to oppress women. /s
  • Reply 8 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The media Apple "halo" effect in which anything remotely related is label "troubled" or "beleaguered".
  • Reply 9 of 60

She would make a great Steve Jobs. You're just trying to oppress women. /s

I thought she was playing Jonathan Ive?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I thought she was playing Jonathan Ive?

“Phil... you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path that I can’t follow!”

“It was just a suggestion, Jony; we don’t have to use colored plastic again...”

• Reply 11 of 60

Perhaps the most overrated actor out there today.

• Reply 12 of 60
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member

They should really just go to the people who made Pirates of Silicon Valley and ask them to start the new movie from where the first one left off. That movie was excellent and it was incredibly well cast. 

Then they could come back a few years later and do a movie focused on the between-Apple years. 

• Reply 13 of 60
    The Ashton Kutcher movie wasn't perfect, but I'm kind of not in the mood for another Steve Jobs movie
  • Reply 14 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can't stand Portman. She over-acts in every movie she's in. 

• Reply 15 of 60
    Portman and Fassbender have worked together on the yet untitled Terrance Malick picture. http://filmcutting.com/natalie-portman-in-talks-to-co-star-in-steve-jobs-biopic/
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can't stand Portman. She over-acts in every movie she's in. 

Except The Phantom Menace.

• Reply 17 of 60
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

It's not obvious that this project is "troubled" at all.  I get the sense that the vast majority of potential movies go through these sorts of fits and starts as they try to nail down the details.  There are probably hundreds of proto-movies going through the same thrashing in Hollywood as we speak.

• Reply 18 of 60

Hell no - probably the worst actress ever. Who would she play anyway? John Sculley? 

• Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except The Phantom Menace.

You are missing the sarcasm tag - she was PARTICULARLY terrible in all those new Star Wars movies...over-acting, boring, incompetent.

Even Ashton Kutcher would do better.

• Reply 20 of 60
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You are missing the sarcasm tag

Am I? I called out her acting in another of them just a few posts ago. But the corpse of Jar-Jar Binks would have been more animated than her performance in The Phantom Menace.