Apple's iTunes to air Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer on Friday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Shatner is Vader's father!

I'm...  Your .... Father !  !  !

(Read the same way Shatner said "I'm Captain Kirk ! ! !" )

• Reply 22 of 109
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Maybe J.J. can reboot Lost In Space again.

That '98 attempt was pretty awful.

Oh, and also Thunderbirds.

• Reply 23 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I may be the only person in the world to say so, but I liked the look of the two Trek movies. I thought the lens flares gave a nice visually distinctive look. Having said that, Abrams has promised not to "flare up" Star Wars. ;)

I actually liked those star treks also. So me and you on an island.

Tallest- there is no doubt that last dinosaur-thing would go on a massive raping spree

• Reply 24 of 109
    ... Thinking Machines supercomputer

Wow! I had no idea that the "Thinking Machines" mentioned in the movie was an actual brand.

I've always heard that sentence as "thinking machines, supercomputers, and gene sequencers break down the strand in minutes...."

I learn something new every day! :D
  • Reply 25 of 109
    andysol wrote: »
    Tallest- there is no doubt that last dinosaur-thing would go on a massive raping spree

Too soon?
  • Reply 26 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Too soon?

No, his raping spree was around the time of the dinosaurs, or shortly thereafter.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The problem is that Abrams has a talent for killing franchises to fit his own artistic vision. I know it's easy to say "couldn't be worse than Christiansen/Portman dialogue", but...

I was pleasantly surprised by the Jurassic World trailer this week, so I think I'm going to be disappointed/horrified by this trailer.

How? The trailer made the movie look like complete trash, which is pretty tough for a 2 min trailer to do. Making genetically engineered dinosaurs, made to be even more intelligent and murderous, in a theme park? What a brilliant idea! Trailer looked like utter shit. 

• Reply 28 of 109
    The Force Awakens

Yep, I'm looking forward to coming out of hibernation next year.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Oh man I see we have some ye olde Star Trek whiners on these forums too. The Tea Party of nerds.

Reality check grandpas, JJ Abram's Star Trek took a tired, irrelevant, and dead franchise (previous 2 films flopped a decade earlier and the last TV series was cancelled after its second season) and transformed it into a relevant, critical and commercial blockbuster. Trek '09 is the best reviewed film of the entire movie series (95% on RT). The sequel, while not as strong but still well regarded (87% RT), made close to half a billion dollars - by far the most successful Trek film of all time. Get over yourselves, and the irrelevant bubble you live in.

In reality Star Wars 7 has a good shot at greatness. Because Abrams is a great director. But hey, random posters at an internet forum know so much more about good directors than say, Steven Spielberg, who's a fan Abram's work and championed for him to direct Star Wars.

This is why I rarely contribute to Internet forums. It's the bottom feeding ghetto of the internet.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    menithings wrote: »
    Oh man I see we have some ye olde Star Trek whiners on these forums too. The Tea Party of nerds.

Reality check grandpas, JJ Abram's Star Trek took a tired, irrelevant, and dead franchise (previous 2 films flopped a decade earlier and the last TV series was cancelled after its second season) and transformed it into a relevant, critical and commercial blockbuster. Trek '09 is the best reviewed film of the entire movie series (95% on RT). The sequel, while not as strong but still well regarded (87% RT), made close to half a billion dollars - by far the most successful Trek film of all time. Get over yourselves, and the irrelevant bubble you live in.

In reality Star Wars 7 has a good shot at greatness. Because Abrams is a great director. But hey, random posters at an internet forum know so much more about good directors than say, Steven Spielberg, who's a fan Abram's work and championed for him to direct Star Wars.

This is why I rarely contribute to Internet forums. It's the bottom feeding ghetto of the internet.

Because popular things are the best, right? Like how all the companies sell so many Android phones? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 31 of 109
    Because popular things are the best, right? Like how all the companies sell so many Android phones? :rolleyes:

Yes. Well-reviewed and popular things are usually objectively 'the best'; like iPhones. Each of which was the top rated and most successful device of its time.

Also:
    - The original Star Wars.
    - The Dark Knight.
    - Almost Every Pixar film.
    - Star Trek '09.

Universal critical and commercial success typically means something is damn good.

Deal with it.
  • Reply 32 of 109

The Jurassic World trailer looked like a bunch of crap.  It looked like a cartoon with the entire environment in CGI.  At least the first three were shot in a real environment, Kauai, and used a mix of animatronic models combined with CGI to give it a far more realistic appearance.  This new movie looked like the entire thing was rendered "Avatar-style" on a computer with actors in front of a green-screen (and Avatar was a lousy movie).

• Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

As far I was concerned, Episode VII, VIII, and IX should have been called Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command, respectively.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

• Reply 34 of 109
    hillstones wrote: »
    The Jurassic World trailer looked like a bunch of crap.  It looked like a cartoon with the entire environment in CGI.  At least the first three were shot in a real environment, Kauai, and used a mix of animatronic models combined with CGI to give it a far more realistic appearance.  This new movie looked like the entire thing was rendered "Avatar-style" on a computer with actors in front of a green-screen (and Avatar was a lousy movie).

I read that many shots in this trailer were rendered quickly simply for this trailer.

"As far as the effects, it’s par for the course to issue a trailer using incomplete renders since these big blockbusters are typically worked on up until the very day they have to be delivered for prints and DCPs to be struck."

Principle photography finished just a few months ago... but the actual movie doesn't come out for another 6 months.

I would imagine they're still working on the final post-production effects.

Let's hope so anyway :)
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Going by the later Star Wars, Jurassic World will suck; the trailer reinforces this.

Seems film directors have no shame. They don't care about reputation; they just want more money.

Verily, CGI is the bane of the modern moving picture.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    The Force Awakens

Yep, I'm looking forward to coming out of hibernation next year.

The rumored title before the actual one was revealed was "The Ancient Fear", which had kind of a nice retro feel.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

My main issue with the new Trek films is that they completely changed things to make it more appealing to average Joe. I refused to see Into Darkness, since it was a petty rehash of Star Trek II.

It wasn't a rehash. It just wasn't that good. Too many issues with it.

I may be the only person in the world to say so, but I liked the look of the two Trek movies. I thought the lens flares gave a nice visually distinctive look. Having said that, Abrams has promised not to "flare up" Star Wars. ;)

Yes. The 2nd one just didn't work for me.
    menithings wrote: »

ST Enterprise lasted 5 years. Wrath of Khan and First Contact are way better than these two movies. Oh and those transformers movies made a shitload of cash too. That doesn't mean they were good.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    jungmark wrote: »
    It wasn't a rehash. It just wasn't that good. Too many issues with it.
    Yes. The 2nd one just didn't work for me.
    ST Enterprise lasted 5 years. Wrath of Khan and First Contact are way better than these two movies. Oh and those transformers movies made a shitload of cash too. That doesn't mean they were good.

Michael Bay is the directorial equivalent of Ebola.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I thought he was Maul's father.

I thought he was Kaley Cuoco's father

• Reply 40 of 109

Early trailer release here!!!! You'll never guess who fights Vader...Biff....Pow.....Zappo