US DOJ fines StealthGenie for selling Android, iOS spyware, demands source code

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    Remember all the posts back in the day? ... "Apple's 'walled garden' is never going to be a success..." ROFL

    Some folks prefer a crumbling wasteland, what can I say? You can lead a horse to a walled garden, but you can't make him graze there...or something like that.

  • Reply 22 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    I beg to differ in the extreme on your opinion of DED. So to your point ... Android is not a steaming heap of unsafe crap in your opinion? Please do elaborate.

    How something is written differs greatly from what is written. One can call Android a steaming heap of crap without calling it a steaming heap of crap. Nobody that fancies themselves a writer writes in such plain, and low brow English.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

     



    The crux of the article was about the arrest & fining of a malicious software vendor and him turning over the source code to the Government not yet another opportunity for a DED diatribe on Android security


     

    it bears repeating. android security is weak. that Target and Best Buy are selling *brand new* android devices w/ known & exploitable security vulnerabilities *right out of the box* is the proof. crying about it here wont make it any better.

  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by singularity View Post



    DED proving once again what a high class journalist he isn't image

     

    it hurts you, doesnt it. denial is an amazing thing.

  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    How something is written differs greatly from what is written. One can call Android a steaming heap of crap without calling it a steaming heap of crap. Nobody that fancies themselves a writer writes in such plain, and low brow English.

     

    can you quote the line in DED's piece where he (in plain, low-brow English) calls android a "steaming heap of crap"? searched for it but i couldnt find it. most confused.

  • Reply 26 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    can you quote the line in DED's piece where he (in plain, low-brow English) calls android a "steaming heap of crap"? searched for it but i couldnt find it. most confused.

    I was using the OP's words, not DED's. End of confusion.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     



    A backhanded slam would be indirect, implied and ambiguous. 

     

    This is clearly a case of Android's sloppy engineering--with no real intent to actually protect users--resulting in another clear and unambiguous security failure that can't be argued against by anyone other than a truly doe-eyed Android asslick. 




    No Prince it's not. This is a case of a malicious software vendor and nothing more though I wouldn't expect you to remove your Android-hate glasses for more than a second to realize such but I digress. "Android ass-lick"? Mature comment as ever btw Prince....

  • Reply 28 of 45
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645122" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false">Quote:<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>singularity</strong> <a href="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645122"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><br /><br />DED proving once again what a high class journalist he isn't <img src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1rolleyes.gif" /></div></div><p> </p><p>it hurts you, doesnt it. denial is an amazing thing.</p>
    I'm definitely not in denial that DED needs to calm down. The hyperbole isn't needed. He can take the moral high ground without the endless need to dive in the gutter when someone has the temerity to question his articles. He truely is a fan in the old meaning.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    While I am against using this illegally and think those that do so should be legally punished, I don't think banning the software or declaring it illegal is the right plan when it comes to our personal freedoms. There are still good uses for this tech. The government does use tech like this already (presumably with a court order) too which seems kind of two faced.

    I plan to use software like that on my kids phones (12 to 16). They will be aware of it and know that any bad use will get the phone taken away. There are good uses for this tech. There are already laws on the books to punish those that would want to use this for nefarious purposes. Are we going to ban all video cameras and audio recording devices because poeple DO use those for nefarious purposes too or should we just make sure to punish those who do use the tech for illegal purposes.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    DED proving once again what a high class journalist he isn't :rolleyes:

    I beg to differ in the extreme on your opinion of DED. So to your point ... Android is not a steaming heap of unsafe crap in your opinion? Please do elaborate.
    From the OP the app needs to be manually installed either via a jailbroken iPhone or sideloded on an android phone. Android is imho less secure than iOS and that's due to the different philosophies Google and Apple persue.
    Apple is a "my way or the highway" walled garden approach whilst Google allows you if you want to go to other sources for Apps. That's assuming it's a Google Android and not a forked version which Google has no control over.

    If you want to go to a dodgy site and download an app then you have to accept the responsibility for your own actions. Otherwise you can stay in the play store or go to amazon store or any other reputable appstore and not have those issues.
    But to call it a steaming pile of unsafe crap is disengenous at best.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,460member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

     

    Leave it to DED to use this case as an opportunity to make a backhanded slam against Android. Bravo.




    Who needs it to be backhanded??

  • Reply 32 of 45
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    xstatica wrote: »
    While I am against using this illegally and think those that do so should be legally punished, I don't think banning the software or declaring it illegal is the right plan when it comes to our personal freedoms. There are still good uses for this tech. The government does use tech like this already (presumably with a court order) too which seems kind of two faced.

    I plan to use software like that on my kids phones (12 to 16). They will be aware of it and know that any bad use will get the phone taken away. There are good uses for this tech. There are already laws on the books to punish those that would want to use this for nefarious purposes. Are we going to ban all video cameras and audio recording devices because poeple DO use those for nefarious purposes too or should we just make sure to punish those who do use the tech for illegal purposes.

    Well there's good parenting...and then there's intrusive - leading to resentment, defensiveness, withdrawal, secrecy, rebellion....
    Tough choice :\
  • Reply 33 of 45
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,417member

    These just in:

    "Pot Calls Kettle Black!"

    "Man Bites Dog!"

    "Govt. Says:  If This Happens, It Better Be US Doin' It!"

  • Reply 34 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

     



    The crux of the article was about the arrest & fining of a malicious software vendor and him turning over the source code to the Government not yet another opportunity for a DED diatribe on Android security


     

    DED can't help it if Android is a big, steaming pile of crap with a "shoot me" target painted in the middle.

     

    What's wrong with pointing out oft glossed over flaws, avoided by glassy eyed "Google can do no wrong", mantra spewing acolytes who seem to make up the mainstream tech press.

     

    If you don't find alternative views refreshing, then why don't you join the "Android is winning" crowd on umpteen dozen other websites?

  • Reply 35 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

     



    The crux of the article was about the arrest & fining of a malicious software vendor and him turning over the source code to the Government not yet another opportunity for a DED diatribe on Android security


     

    DED can't help it if Android is a big, steaming pile of crap with a "shoot me" target painted in the middle.

     

    What's wrong with pointing out oft glossed over flaws, avoided by glassy eyed "Google can do no wrong", mantra spewing acolytes who seem to make up the mainstream tech press.

     

    If you don't find alternative views refreshing, then why don't you join the Android is winning crowd on umpteen do

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by singularity View Post





    From the OP the app needs to be manually installed either via a jailbroken iPhone or sideloded on an android phone. Android is imho less secure than iOS and that's due to the different philosophies Google and Apple persue.

    Apple is a "my way or the highway" walled garden approach whilst Google allows you if you want to go to other sources for Apps. That's assuming it's a Google Android and not a forked version which Google has no control over.



    If you want to go to a dodgy site and download an app then you have to accept the responsibility for your own actions. Otherwise you can stay in the play store or go to amazon store or any other reputable appstore and not have those issues.

    But to call it a steaming pile of unsafe crap is disengenous at best.



    It's strange that my Samsung Galaxy S4, when it wants to update one of the crappy Samsung Apps, demands that the phone be opened up to all sources...

     

    ...just wondering if Amazon's crappy Android version is the same as Samsung's crappy Android version where it's all or Google Play only?

  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    DED can't help it if Android is a big, steaming pile of crap with a "shoot me" target painted in the middle.

     

    What's wrong with pointing out oft glossed over flaws, avoided by glassy eyed "Google can do no wrong", mantra spewing acolytes who seem to make up the mainstream tech press.

     

    If you don't find alternative views refreshing, then why don't you join the "Android is winning" crowd on umpteen dozen other websites?




    Alternative views I don't mind.

     

    What I do mind is DED's constant digging for anything about Android that he can contort and fact-twist to suit his agenda. For example he claimed, quite proudly, that the FakeID virus had not been patched on Android and then when called out on this very obvious lie by myself and others, he then tried to move the goalposts by claiming that "80% that your sources CNET likes to prattle about -- is not patched and will never be patched." which is another lie because 80% of Android users are not on Froyo or earlier.

     

    Daniel used this article for yet another anti-Android diatribe when the core of the article was not Android/iOS security but a malicious programmer getting fined and jail time.

  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jmncl View Post





    Because apparently Eric Schmidt is convinced that Android is the most secure OS on the planet and frequently says so in the media. A media so keen on sucking his gold gilded penis that no one corrects him.

     

     

     

    I love Goooooooooooooold!

  • Reply 38 of 45
    hill60 wrote: »
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645068" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false">Quote:<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Lord Amhran</strong> <a href="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645068"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><br /> <p><br />The crux of the article was about the arrest & fining of a malicious software vendor and him turning over the source code to the Government not yet another opportunity for a DED diatribe on Android security</p></div></div><p> </p><p>DED can't help it if Android is a big, steaming pile of crap with a "shoot me" target painted in the middle.</p><p> </p><p>What's wrong with pointing out oft glossed over flaws, avoided by glassy eyed "Google can do no wrong", mantra spewing acolytes who seem to make up the mainstream tech press.</p><p> </p><p>If you don't find alternative views refreshing, then why don't you join the Android is winning crowd on umpteen do</p><div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645197" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false">Quote:<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>singularity</strong> <a href="/t/183599/us-doj-fines-stealthgenie-for-selling-android-ios-spyware-demands-source-code#post_2645197"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><br /><br /><br />From the OP the app needs to be manually installed either via a jailbroken iPhone or sideloded on an android phone. Android is imho less secure than iOS and that's due to the different philosophies Google and Apple persue.<br />Apple is a "my way or the highway" walled garden approach whilst Google allows you if you want to go to other sources for Apps. That's assuming it's a Google Android and not a forked version which Google has no control over.<br /><br />If you want to go to a dodgy site and download an app then you have to accept the responsibility for your own actions. Otherwise you can stay in the play store or go to amazon store or any other reputable appstore and not have those issues.<br />But to call it a steaming pile of unsafe crap is disengenous at best.</div></div><p><br />It's strange that my Samsung Galaxy S4, when it wants to update one of the crappy Samsung Apps, demands that the phone be opened up to all sources...</p><p> </p><p>...just wondering if Amazon's crappy Android version is the same as Samsung's crappy Android version where it's all or Google Play only?</p>
    You mean when an app wants to update itself outside of Google Play it asks you if you want to proceed and is giving you a warning. The bastards how dare they!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    roake wrote: »
    So what's the basis for this?

    Is it a federal crime to duplicate what the federal government/NSA is already doing? Is this the equivalent of the Obama administration suing for infringement? Maybe The government is worried that a company doing this so publicly will bring too much attention to what they themselves are doing. "This is the next Snowden! Let's eff him up!"

    In any case, it's laughable that the Feds fine this guy "to protect us" while they are doing far worse.

    the basis is they (meaning the feds) want the source code so they can improve ob what they do.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post





    You mean when an app wants to update itself outside of Google Play it asks you if you want to proceed and is giving you a warning. The bastards how dare they!



    No, the fact that it demands that you allow all sources, thus making your phone vulnerable to the threats that Android fools say are of no consequence, only IF you do not select the option that Samsung and I also assume Amazon require.

Sign In or Register to comment.