Blueprint of Apple's "iPad Air Plus," details of iPad mini 4 reportedly outed in Japanese mag - Rumo

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2014
A Japanese Apple fan magazine published on Friday what it says is a full-scale schematic of Apple's much rumored "iPad Air Plus," along with claims that the device will be powered by an A9 chip and ship between April and June of 2015.

The spread in "Mac Fan January 2015" reports that the "12.2 inch LCD tablet iPad Air Plus" will be 305.31 x 220.8 x 7mm in size and come powered by a next-generation A9 processor, with a market launch scheduled some time between April to June 2015.

It adds that the "iPad Air Plus" will have four built in speakers -- on the edges of its enclosure -- to facilitate stereo sound, even when the iPad rotated (presumably amongst a group of students, as its long been rumored that the device would be positioned at educational and creative segments).

Macotakara, another Japanese-language publication, tipped AppleInsider off to the report and said the details shared by Mac Fan align with information it's heard from its own channels. A similar article, identifying the device as an "iPad Pro" similarly reported at the top of the month that Apple was developing the device around a 12.2-inch display with speakers and microphones on multiple edges.

Its worth noting that Mac Fan, the source of the latest information, previously reported some accurate details regarding the resolution of the screen on the iPhone 6 Plus prior to its unveiling, though its claims regarding the physical size of the device's display were way off.

As part of the same report this week, Mac Fan also claims that the iPad mini 4 -- similarly due out in 2015 -- will be powered by Apple's existing A8X processor and sport a new, thinner design akin to the iPad Air 2. The publication added that, upon the launch of the iPad mini 4, the iPad mini and iPad mini 3 will be removed from Apple's line-up, leaving just the iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 196

iPad Air Plus

I give up. If people want to think these idiotic names are real, or if Apple wants to use idiotic names as real names, so be it. It’s only a very important aspect of the product’s marketing, but whatever.

Just hoping for 4096x3072.

• Reply 2 of 196
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I give up. If people want to think these idiotic names are real, or if Apple wants to use idiotic names as real names, so be it. It’s only a very important aspect of the product’s marketing, but whatever.

You shouldn't get so bent out of shape, man. Everything's gonna be alright ;)

• Reply 3 of 196

Lesson for Shawn: 

v. out·edout·ingouts

v.intr.

To be disclosed or revealed; come out:

• Reply 4 of 196
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The A9 so quickly?

• Reply 5 of 196

Huge iPad? Why not!

• Reply 6 of 196
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Everything's gonna be alright ;)

I draw the line at buying the ‘iPad I Have A Small Penis’. But maybe it won’t matter if I get the 12.2” model of it... 

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The A9 so quickly?

Well, the iPad 4 got an A6X six months after the iPad 3 got an A5X, didn’t it? The iPad was the introductory device for a new A chip until then. iPad in the spring, iPhone followed in the summer.

• Reply 7 of 196
    ascii wrote: »
    The A9 so quickly?

Yeah ... I'm thinking the A9 is targeted at the iPad Pro -- More RAM, CPU Cores, Better GPU and I/O interfaces -- making a true post-pc device.

The iPhone 7's could use the A8X.
  • Reply 8 of 196
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    I'm just puzzled by the continual use of "outed" on this site. The required word is "rumoured" but somebody on this site likes using the word "outed" in any possible context.

it's appleinsider. freshman college students writing at a 7th grade level. deal with it.
  • Reply 9 of 196
    The bigger iPhone surprisingly produces mega success and a bigger iPad will smash the competitors.
  • Reply 10 of 196
    ‘... I Have A Small Penis’. But maybe it won’t matter if I get the 12.2” model ...

Whoa there! Nobody's judging you. But it's not the length but the girth that matters, otherwise you'd be a chimp. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 196
    "A Japanese Apple fan magazine published on Friday what it says is a full-scale schematic of Apple's much rumored "iPad Air Plus"

I am so sick and tired it all these self-professed "tech" media. Get a grip! This is not a freaking schematic. It is a mechanical drawing - a incomplete one at that. Your lack of technical knowledge is showing. Neither is this a blueprint. It is a page of a very incomplete blueprint at best, if you also refer to blueprint in the true sense - a concise mechanical drawing.

OK. My best benefit of the doubt is this is the result of lost in translation from the Japanese source. Are you using google translate?
  • Reply 12 of 196
    Make this with a Wacom digitizer & stylus, and I'll buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If all it is, is an iPad Air with a bigger screen then the calling it iPad Air Plus makes perfect sense.  Kind of like the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 6

• Reply 14 of 196
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    censorship of criticism is alive and well at appleinsider. someone commented on the use of "outed" vs. "rumored". i responded to that saying something along the lines of "it's appleinsider. freshman college students writing at a 7th grade level. deal with it." both comments have since been removed.

c'mon appleinsider, either step up your game in the writing department or deal with the fact that you aren't professionals and live with the criticism.
  • Reply 15 of 196
    Cue the usual suspects:
    1. This needs to run full Mac OS X and side by side apps
    2. This needs to have a pen
    3. IGZO will save us all
    4. Just wait until Broadwell or Skylake!
    5. But but but Android tablets!
  • Reply 16 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cue the usual suspects:

3. IGZO will save us all

You forgot multi-user capabilities.

• Reply 17 of 196
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If this report is true anyone who bought an iPad mini 3 was a sucker. And margins must not be so horrible if the mini gets updated with A8X within 6 months.
  • Reply 18 of 196
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cue the usual suspects:

3. IGZO will save us all

And also:

6. Surface.  Because Office!!!

• Reply 19 of 196

I hope that 12.2" is big enough.

I would prefer A4 size, which is 14". Still, anything from 12" to 18" would be good.

• Reply 20 of 196

pretty funny, this.  someone commented about the use of "outed" vs. "rumour" and then someone else replied to that with something like "it's appleinsider.  college freshmen writing at 7th grade levels.  deal with it." and now those comments are gone.  but the definition of "outed", and the penis jokes are okay, right appleinsider?  katie marsal doesn't get her panties in a bunch over that.